4 way/8 way selection on inputs?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Escape-To-88

4 way/8 way selection on inputs?

Unread post by Escape-To-88 »

I used my MiSTers in my arcade cabs. On my vert Egret I have 4 way restrictions for 4 way games like Pacman, Donkey Kong etc. However I'm sure there was a soft option to enable 4 way sticks that simply blocked diagonals being registered. If so anyone know where this option is!? Cheers
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: 4 way/8 way selection on inputs?

Unread post by lamarax »

Much like their original counterparts, the MiSTer cores don't actually recognize/register diagonal inputs. It's the physical motion of the stick that's causing loss of precision when you accidentally hit a diagonal.

So I guess rotating the gate's insert in 'diamond' orientation (if you have JLFs), or moving the subguide to the 4-way position (if you have Seimitsus) is the only solution, cumbersome as it may be. That's what these things are there for in the first place ;)

[Edit] If you (understandably) insist on being lazy :mrgreen: there're always offerings made just for you :P
Escape-To-88

lamarax wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:43 pm Much like their original counterparts, the MiSTer cores don't actually recognize/register diagonal inputs. It's the physical motion of the stick that's causing loss of precision when you accidentally hit a diagonal.

So I guess rotating the gate's insert in 'diamond' orientation (if you have JLFs), or moving the subguide to the 4-way position (if you have Seimitsus) is the only solution, cumbersome as it may be. That's what these things are there for in the first place ;)

[Edit] If you (understandably) insist on being lazy :mrgreen: there're always offerings made just for you :P
I know all of this. Especially as I restore arcade machines. I thought I'd read there was a setting within the MiSTer cores themselves, that is what I was asking.
jimmystones
Core Developer

Unread post by jimmystones »

There are some cores with 'one way' stick code - but it's not consistent I'm afraid, as it's a per core implementation.

Atari Tetris has quite an in-depth method with a lot of options on how it emulates a 4 way stick that you can change with the 'Diagonal' option in the OSD.

Lady Bug just has a basic one that just has a preferred direction - e.g. always goes right if you do up and right (might be getting that back to front but you get the idea!)
Escape-To-88

jimmystones wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:18 am There are some cores with 'one way' stick code - but it's not consistent I'm afraid, as it's a per core implementation.

Atari Tetris has quite an in-depth method with a lot of options on how it emulates a 4 way stick that you can change with the 'Diagonal' option in the OSD.

Lady Bug just has a basic one that just has a preferred direction - e.g. always goes right if you do up and right (might be getting that back to front but you get the idea!)
Thank you mate. Thought the Pac and DK cores had it implemented, obviously not. Will use my 4 way restrictor plate. Cheers