8bitdo Controllers Using the Same PID

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Ashfall

8bitdo Controllers Using the Same PID

Unread post by Ashfall »

I have these 3 controllers from 8bitdo. They are the 2.4g controllers that work with the original consoles.

N30 2.4g wireless gamepad for original NES
SN30 2.4g wireless gamepad for original SNES/SFC
M30 2.4G for SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive

I've recently gotten into MiSTer and have been using these controllers in wired mode with a USB cable. They seem to perform very well, the N30 feels the best to me, it's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, I noticed that when changing controllers, some button mappings were mixed up and I'd have to remap.
Eventually I figured out that MiSTer stores controller mappings on a VIP-PID identifier basis, and that these 3 8bitdo controllers all have the same VID&PID of 045e:028e. Therefore MiSTer thinks they are the same controller when I change them, and uses the same mapping.

The problem is that the buttons on these controllers don't all match up with each other. The N30 and SN30 B and A buttons are reversed in relation to each other. And the R1 button on the SN30 and M30 are different, so that when one controller is mapped, the R1 button does not register on the other controller.
Also, these controllers only have 1 mode: x-input, so changing one of them to another mode to get a different PID is not an option.

I emailed 8bitdo about this and they said they would give feedback to the development team, which is the best I could hope for actually.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or workarounds? Right now I'm just using the M30 for everything, but it doesn't feel right for NES games, so I end up re-mapping again to get the B and A buttons right.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: 8bitdo Controllers Using the Same PID

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Edit: I'm quoting the below as it only applies to the USB 2.4ghz dongles. I don't know of any way to change the output mode for direct USB connection to controller and you can't exactly connect your original console dongles directly to mister as a USB HiD.
The m30 has alternate input modes when using the 2.4ghz dongle (not when using USB cable, which is always x-input). You hold home + either up, left, or down for 5 seconds. Unfortunately I don't remember which is which, but there's x-input, Nintendo Switch, and Genesis Mini mode, which should all present different VIPs. There may be similar functions on the N30 / SN30 and they may not be documented in the manual.

I doubt x-input modes ever can or will present different ViPs from each other because the whole point is that they appear as an Xbox 360 controller.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:31 pm Edit: I'm quoting the below as it only applies to the USB 2.4ghz dongles. I don't know of any way to change the output mode for direct USB connection to controller and you can't exactly connect your original console dongles directly to mister as a USB HiD.
The m30 has alternate input modes when using the 2.4ghz dongle (not when using USB cable, which is always x-input). You hold home + either up, left, or down for 5 seconds. Unfortunately I don't remember which is which, but there's x-input, Nintendo Switch, and Genesis Mini mode, which should all present different VIPs. There may be similar functions on the N30 / SN30 and they may not be documented in the manual.

I doubt x-input modes ever can or will present different ViPs from each other because the whole point is that they appear as an Xbox 360 controller.
Thanks for the clear explanation. If I ever get some Dameonbites or equivalent I'll try that.

Meanwhile I have been able to map one controller per core (NES/SNES/Sega) to perform satisfactorily.
The only issue now is the lack of a home button on the SN30, so I mapped select+start. So the other controllers have to use this instead of the nice Home button. Also since the N30 has the A and B buttons reversed from the SN30, I can't quickly switch between those two cores without either changing controllers or remapping.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Ashfall wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:36 pm Thanks for the clear explanation. If I ever get some Dameonbites or equivalent I'll try that.
Oh no, I'm quite confident that information won't help you at all!

Whatever form the USB/HiD output takes, that is 100% up to Dameonbite. The "original console" dongles are pushing out original signals. There's zero concept of ViDs/PiDs or whatever there, it is up to Dameonbite to come up with those.
ItalianGrandma

Unread post by ItalianGrandma »

It would be great to have saved controller profiles selectable from the OSD when switching between controllers that have the same VID/PID. Switching from a NES to a Genesis controller? Select your Genesis profile and you’re good to go! I talked about this with Sorgelig months ago, but I’m not sure I explained it well enough.
Waifu4Life

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

Ashfall wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:56 pm I have these 3 controllers from 8bitdo. They are the 2.4g controllers that work with the original consoles.

N30 2.4g wireless gamepad for original NES
SN30 2.4g wireless gamepad for original SNES/SFC
M30 2.4G for SEGA Genesis & Mega Drive

I've recently gotten into MiSTer and have been using these controllers in wired mode with a USB cable. They seem to perform very well, the N30 feels the best to me, it's pretty fantastic.

Anyway, I noticed that when changing controllers, some button mappings were mixed up and I'd have to remap.
Eventually I figured out that MiSTer stores controller mappings on a VIP-PID identifier basis, and that these 3 8bitdo controllers all have the same VID&PID of 045e:028e. Therefore MiSTer thinks they are the same controller when I change them, and uses the same mapping.

The problem is that the buttons on these controllers don't all match up with each other. The N30 and SN30 B and A buttons are reversed in relation to each other. And the R1 button on the SN30 and M30 are different, so that when one controller is mapped, the R1 button does not register on the other controller.
Also, these controllers only have 1 mode: x-input, so changing one of them to another mode to get a different PID is not an option.

I emailed 8bitdo about this and they said they would give feedback to the development team, which is the best I could hope for actually.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or workarounds? Right now I'm just using the M30 for everything, but it doesn't feel right for NES games, so I end up re-mapping again to get the B and A buttons right.
Is this a per core issue where when you map the Mega Drive M30 buttons it will also map the SN30 buttons in the same core, or do you mean that if you map the M30 buttons in the Mega Drive core, it will remap the buttons of the SN30 buttons in the SNES core?
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

All the 2.4g wireless 8BitDo controllers present themselves as an Xbox controller, but obviously have wildly different physical button positioning. That's the issue. Bluetooth models (even over USB) don't behave that way.
GeCe

Unread post by GeCe »

Bluetooth models (even over USB) don't behave that way.
I have the same issue with 8bitdo arcade stick and a SF30 pro. I workarounded this setting the gamepad in DInput mode but that's not a solution. Moreover I cannot sync the arcade stick and a 8bitdo DIY Nes board at the same time, i have to turn off one of them.