Unable to sync any Bluetooth controllers on my MiSTer

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Waifu4Life

Unable to sync any Bluetooth controllers on my MiSTer

Unread post by Waifu4Life »

I see the Bluetooth icon in my MiSTer's task window, I hit F11 on my keyboard, but neither a Wiimote or 8BitDo controller will sync, I keep getting a "Nothing found" message. I can pair them with other devices, but not on my MiSTer.

Any thoughts?
iso70x

Re: Unable to sync any Bluetooth controllers on my MiSTer

Unread post by iso70x »

I've had this happen occasionally, and found that pairing the device while no other bluetooth pads/keyboards are connected has worked. This does require you have an IO board with the 3 buttons though.

Try switching off *all* bluetooth devices that are connected to the MiSTer, then do the following:

1. Hold down the OSD button on the MiSTer until the bluetooth pairing dialog appears (takes a few seconds)
2. Stick the device you wish to pair into 'pairing mode'
3. Wait and see whether it picks it up.

I've found that if I have a PS DS3 actively connected to my MiSTer via bluetooth, then there are a few devices that fail to pair. As soon as I switch the DS3 off and follow the above sequence, I can pair the device ok. After that, I can have them both connected fine. Seems there might be a conflict with some device combinations and the bluetooth pairing feature.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

A big update to bluetooth drivers and pairing just went through. Use update script and then be sure to use the built-in dialog (hold OSD button or F11 while the OSD is open), not the bluetooth_pair script you may have in the scripts folder, and give it a try.

Combining two Switch joy-cons into a single Pro controller works really well now!
Waifu4Life

iso70x wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:20 pm I've had this happen occasionally, and found that pairing the device while no other bluetooth pads/keyboards are connected has worked. This does require you have an IO board with the 3 buttons though.

Try switching off *all* bluetooth devices that are connected to the MiSTer, then do the following:

1. Hold down the OSD button on the MiSTer until the bluetooth pairing dialog appears (takes a few seconds)
2. Stick the device you wish to pair into 'pairing mode'
3. Wait and see whether it picks it up.

I've found that if I have a PS DS3 actively connected to my MiSTer via bluetooth, then there are a few devices that fail to pair. As soon as I switch the DS3 off and follow the above sequence, I can pair the device ok. After that, I can have them both connected fine. Seems there might be a conflict with some device combinations and the bluetooth pairing feature.
I never had a Bluetooth device synced on my MiSTer before.
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:24 am A big update to bluetooth drivers and pairing just went through. Use update script and then be sure to use the built-in dialog (hold OSD button or F11 while the OSD is open), not the bluetooth_pair script you may have in the scripts folder, and give it a try.

Combining two Switch joy-cons into a single Pro controller works really well now!
I don't use the update script on my MiSTer, mainly because I don't want every single core of everything, only the ones I want. Can I manually edit a file or something?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

You need to update "main/linux" but I have no idea how to do that, been relying on update_all script myself.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 am You need to update "main/linux" but I have no idea how to do that, been relying on update_all script myself.
Just running the update.sh script updates this.

Also I usually tell people to not use update_all to update the linux since continued writes after the linux image writes without a reboot can corrupt the linux image. If the linux image is updated, the update.sh script updates linux fully right at the end and reboots immediately after. This is critical. I have helped about a person or two a week with manually downloading the linux files and overwriting them because they got corrupted, and most of the time they used the update_all script. Not saying it's a bad script, just something for users to be aware of.
birdybro~
Waifu4Life

aberu wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:55 pm
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 am You need to update "main/linux" but I have no idea how to do that, been relying on update_all script myself.
Just running the update.sh script updates this.

Also I usually tell people to not use update_all to update the linux since continued writes after the linux image writes without a reboot can corrupt the linux image. If the linux image is updated, the update.sh script updates linux fully right at the end and reboots immediately after. This is critical. I have helped about a person or two a week with manually downloading the linux files and overwriting them because they got corrupted, and most of the time they used the update_all script. Not saying it's a bad script, just something for users to be aware of.
Is that the one: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MiSTe ... /update.sh
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

the_importer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:00 pm Is that the one: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MiSTe ... /update.sh
yes. That script downloads the newest version of the other one in that repo, mister_updater.sh, and executes it (among other things). That way you always get the newest script.
the_importer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:05 am I don't use the update script on my MiSTer, mainly because I don't want every single core of everything, only the ones I want. Can I manually edit a file or something?
Yes you can do it this way.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater ... for-mister

The readme includes instructions on how to create an update.ini in the same folder to customize what you do and don't want.
birdybro~
Waifu4Life

aberu wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:33 pm
the_importer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:00 pm Is that the one: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MiSTe ... /update.sh
yes. That script downloads the newest version of the other one in that repo, mister_updater.sh, and executes it (among other things). That way you always get the newest script.
the_importer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:05 am I don't use the update script on my MiSTer, mainly because I don't want every single core of everything, only the ones I want. Can I manually edit a file or something?
Yes you can do it this way.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Updater ... for-mister

The readme includes instructions on how to create an update.ini in the same folder to customize what you do and don't want.
😵

This shit is way to complicated. Can I just make an update script to simply update the linux part like that part on the page that says:

REPOSITORIES_FILTER="ZZZZZZZZZ"
UPDATE_CHEATS="false"
UPDATE_LINUX="true"
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

aberu wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:55 pm Also I usually tell people to not use update_all to update the linux since continued writes after the linux image writes without a reboot can corrupt the linux image. If the linux image is updated, the update.sh script updates linux fully right at the end and reboots immediately after. This is critical. I have helped about a person or two a week with manually downloading the linux files and overwriting them because they got corrupted, and most of the time they used the update_all script. Not saying it's a bad script, just something for users to be aware of.
Good to know. Is this reported on the update_all github? (Did not see anything obvious enough to my brain on the issues page.)
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

ash2fpga wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:08 pm
aberu wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:55 pm Also I usually tell people to not use update_all to update the linux since continued writes after the linux image writes without a reboot can corrupt the linux image. If the linux image is updated, the update.sh script updates linux fully right at the end and reboots immediately after. This is critical. I have helped about a person or two a week with manually downloading the linux files and overwriting them because they got corrupted, and most of the time they used the update_all script. Not saying it's a bad script, just something for users to be aware of.
Good to know. Is this reported on the update_all github? (Did not see anything obvious enough to my brain on the issues page.)
Here is what Locutus73 told me (he maintains the mister update script). This is edited to just show our back and forth.
2021-08-27_13-35-26.jpg
2021-08-27_13-35-26.jpg (96.4 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
I did mention it to theypsilon directly, but it was a while ago and I don't remember what he said.

I have since helped out quite a few people every time there is an update to the linux image. I guess I should test to see if it respects reboot requests from the main update script nowadays since it's been awhile, but the reboot should happen after the mister updater finishes installing the linux and no other script from update-all should be run afterwards, otherwise the risk for corruption is higher than it should be.
birdybro~