Atari 260 paddles only getting small portion of full range

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Tackemon

Atari 260 paddles only getting small portion of full range

Unread post by Tackemon »

I'm using the unofficial SNAC version of the Atari 2600 core along with a SNAC interface and Atari adapter. I'm also using a stereo male-to-male cable to connect the 3.5mm jack from the adapter to an ADC in module for real Atari paddle support.

It does work with games like Super Breakout and Night Driver, but doesn't work on other paddle games I've tried.

But even with Super Breakout and Night Driver, the entire range of motion happens over maybe a 20-30 degree arc of the 270 or so range of motion. That 20-30 degrees is way off of the right. That makes it very sensitive and not as accurate as it could be.

Anybody run into this? It's *so* close to working properly.

I'm building a rotary encoder based "Mr. Spinner" so this may be a moot point soon enough, but it's kind of neato to use real Atari paddles. I suppose I should make one of those adapters also.
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Atari 260 paddles only getting small portion of full range

Unread post by thorr »

It is normal for paddles to have a limited range of motion, but I think on the MiSTer with SNAC it might be even more limited than normal. I replaced my potentiometers in my paddles with these and it helped a ton. Unfortunately at the moment they are not in stock. Maybe they can be found elsewhere like mouser or somewhere else. I had to file down the end of it to get it to fit into the paddle top slot but they work great!
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 3L/3534150

Edit: I googled the part number 91A1A-B28-A23L-ND and found several places selling them.
Tackemon

Re: Atari 260 paddles only getting small portion of full range

Unread post by Tackemon »

Ah, interesting. Might have to try that.