SNAC on MegaDrive/Genesis

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Blitzwing

SNAC on MegaDrive/Genesis

Unread post by Blitzwing »

Hi everyone.

I've had my SNAC functioning with SNES, NES and PC engine controllers for a while and everything is good.

I've just purchased a Megadrive adapter from misterfpga.co.uk to complete the collection. Made sure that the jumpers on the ioboard (v6.1) and on the SNAC adapter are in place, plugged everything in and started Quackshot as a test, but it isn't working correctly. Right is constantly pressed and C doesn't do anything. Up, down, left, A and B seem to work correctly in controller tests

I'm 99% sure it isn't the controller, it is a genuine MD controller and has been working via the DB9 to USB adapter I've been using up to now.

I've tried all possible core settings. I read somewhere that pin 10 on P7 needs to be connected but as far as I can tell
that connects the jumper to the Arduino row, that jumper is connected.

Thanks for any help.
Blitzwing

Re: SNAC on MegaDrive/Genesis

Unread post by Blitzwing »

I think I've figured it out that the problem maybe a distance related one that only affects Megadrive pads or my particular one.

My MiSTer is inside a Fractal Design Node 202 case with two front USB 3.0 ports, one connects to a HUB the other to the User I/O.

The user I/O connects to an angled male to female adapter around 20cm long, that connects to the SNAC board, a 0.5m long USB-A to internal header goes to the internal header, which then connects to the front panel, that connection is about 0.5M long too... Probably looking at a good two meters and change between the I/O port and the controller itself.

When I connect the MD adapter to the SNAC board directly most of the issues go away, although C and Start still don't work. I guess if I connected the SNAC straight to the User I/O it would work perfectly, can't do it as there is not enough room hence the angled connector.