Switch SNES req extra button press on boot/core start

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
edr

Switch SNES req extra button press on boot/core start

Unread post by edr »

The Nintendo Switch SNES bluetooth controller initially connects to the MiSTer in "unassigned mode" - all 5 rear controller lights are lit. It then requires a button press to cause it to become assigned as for ex. controller #1 (first light lights up instead of all 5). The controller is not usable until this first button press to cause an assignment.

This extra button press is required:
* After the MiSTer boots/reboots
* When starting/switching an FPGA core

Not the end of the world because it doesn't cause any gameplay problems, but it's a bit annoying to have to do this extra button press when switching cores/booting/rebooting.

Is it likely the MiSTer OS could fix this somehow? Such as by automatically assigning a controller # to this controller?

This issue is specific to this particular controller. Never see this with other BT/USB/2.4G controllers.
Lezzer

Re: Switch SNES req extra button press on boot/core start

Unread post by Lezzer »

I had this exact same problem a while ago. It's the best controller in my collection and I use it on all cores. But it got more tedious though the longer I used it.

In the end I bought an 8-BitDo bluetooth dongle (the orange brick type) to pair it with, and ever since it only requires a button press on first boot-up. It's around £15, but it works like a charm.
edr

Re: Switch SNES req extra button press on boot/core start

Unread post by edr »

Great tip thanks! I'll give that a try - I have few orange and grey 8BitDo BT adapters (random note - I applied the 2.01 firmware for the orange 8BitDo bricks to the grey 8BitDo bricks and it seems to work fine, YMMV).

According to MisterAddons latency tests this controller has very similar latency with the BT CSR8510 adapter as with the 8BitDo bricks - 15.6 ms vs 18.6/20.9 (https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency)

129 Nintendo - SNES Switch BT (CSR8510) 15.629
130 Nintendo - SNES Switch 8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth (X-Input / Select + Up) 18.597
131 Nintendo - SNES Switch 8Bitdo Wireless Bluetooth (D-Input / Select + Left) 20.892