Requesting support for Xbox Series (X/S) controller support via bluetooth.

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
FeelsDuckMan

Requesting support for Xbox Series (X/S) controller support via bluetooth.

Unread post by FeelsDuckMan »

When trying to pair the controller via the mister, it never shows up as a device during the pairing process using bluetooth. Would like to kindly request support for this controller whenever it's possible. Thank you.
Raul3D

Re: Requesting support for Xbox Series (X/S) controller support via bluetooth.

Unread post by Raul3D »

Support for Xbox Series controller was recently added:
viewtopic.php?p=32952#p32952

Did you try it with a recent version?
FeelsDuckMan

Raul3D wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:11 pm Support for Xbox Series controller was recently added:
viewtopic.php?p=32952#p32952

Did you try it with a recent version?
Of course. I just updated 2 days ago. I wouldn't waste the devs time if it didn't work with the latest. Xbox series s/x controllers via bluetooth are not working in release 20210917. As I said, it never shows up when attempting to pair it with the bluetooth dongle.
notaburger

Unread post by notaburger »

Fyi, it works really well with the Microsoft branded dongles. You do have to run a special script once but then it just works. It's not specifically what you're asking for, but it is better if you don't mind spending the $25 for the extra hardware.
FeelsDuckMan

notaburger wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:58 pm Fyi, it works really well with the Microsoft branded dongles. You do have to run a special script once but then it just works. It's not specifically what you're asking for, but it is better if you don't mind spending the $25 for the extra hardware.
Thanks for the information. I did not know that. Unfortunately I don't have a Microsoft dongle and have no need to purchase one as the controller works with my generic BT dongle on my PC which is what I mostly use it for. I do hope this gets supported natively by the mister. Thank you.
FeelsDuckMan

Update, I bought a Microsoft dongle on sale and it works fine, but am I the only one experiencing extremely short range with the dongle? It disconnects me quite often.
belgarcat

Unread post by belgarcat »

Is your USB Hub powered?
Maybe it's a power issue.
FeelsDuckMan

belgarcat wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:06 pm Is your USB Hub powered?
Maybe it's a power issue.
Yes it is a powered USB hub. My regular bluetooth dongle works fine but the xbox one seems to disconnect if I get 4-5 feet away from it. I don't know if its the Linux driver doing it or if it has really poor range or what. Works fine on my PC so not sure what the issue is.
retro

Unread post by retro »

The Xbox Series S|X controllers use Bluetooth Low Energy, which is different from Xbox One or PlayStation controllers.

The Microsoft USB dongle is required, as it is not compatible with most USB Bluetooth adapters that do not support BLE.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/ ... er-windows

At least this is the explanation I got when I contacted 8bitdo, as I was curious why I could not sync my Series X controller with the 8bitdo USB dongle I use with OGX360.
FeelsDuckMan

retro wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:06 am The Xbox Series S|X controllers use Bluetooth Low Energy, which is different from Xbox One or PlayStation controllers.

The Microsoft USB dongle is required, as it is not compatible with most USB Bluetooth adapters that do not support BLE.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/ ... er-windows

At least this is the explanation I got when I contacted 8bitdo, as I was curious why I could not sync my Series X controller with the 8bitdo USB dongle I use with OGX360.
Right, as I said in my post I bought the official adapter but keep getting disconnect issues.
retro

Unread post by retro »

FeelsDuckMan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:37 am Right, as I said in my post I bought the official adapter but keep getting disconnect issues.
Whoops.. sorry I missed your post from 1 December :P
My bad
I'm not able to help further :(
FeelsDuckMan

It's strange. I don't get the disconnect issue as long as I am continually pressing buttons, but even something as short as a 20 second period where I don't, it happens as close as 4 foot to the device also, and it will disconnect and then try to re-sync. I was playing on my bed a good 10 feet away and not once did it disconnect while I was continually pressing buttons, but if I put my controller down to take a drink it will disconnect and then re-sync. I wonder if there's something with the Linux driver trying to put it in some sort of 'sleep' mode too quickly.
Grimspoon

Unread post by Grimspoon »

FeelsDuckMan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:58 pm It's strange. I don't get the disconnect issue as long as I am continually pressing buttons, but even something as short as a 20 second period where I don't, it happens as close as 4 foot to the device also, and it will disconnect and then try to re-sync. I was playing on my bed a good 10 feet away and not once did it disconnect while I was continually pressing buttons, but if I put my controller down to take a drink it will disconnect and then re-sync. I wonder if there's something with the Linux driver trying to put it in some sort of 'sleep' mode too quickly.
I'm currently experiencing the same issue. Very aggressive timeouts and can't really stand it. Please let me know if this is still an issue or if it's meant to be resolved.
bbqlovers

Unread post by bbqlovers »

Having this same re-syncing issues during game play as well using the official dongle and series s/x controller. Haven't done much troubleshooting other that trying different ports on the hub but that has made no change in the condition.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

does the controller use the latest firmware?

maybe contact MS support about this, maybe they can be of some help though i doubt it.
Grimspoon

Unread post by Grimspoon »

Any updates / ideas if this will ever be addressed? I bought a X/S and dongle specifically for Mister and I hate that I can't use it wirelessly.

Edit:

Looks like there has been a recent mister linux update that addresses this issue
viewtopic.php?p=48867#p48867
Sorgelig wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:31 pm Linux, Main, Menu:
- Add GunCon 2 and Guncon 3 drivers (Nolan Nicholson).
- CFG80211 driver as a module to allow WiFi region change.
- xone driver for wireless XBOX dongle support with preliminary support for chatpad.
- Various tweaks for controller rumble support.
- Menu: MIDI passthrough for USER I/O to use MT32pi from Linux (Kitrinx).
- Switch update to Downloader script.
- Various fixes and tweaks.
Did a quick test and no fast time-out issue. Looks like this might be it! Thanks!