Auto fire not working?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
rockaholica

Auto fire not working?

Unread post by rockaholica »

Hello MiSTer forum!

I just recently noticed that auto fire was possible with the mister when looking at various hotkeys etc... When I went to try the function, nothing seemed to happen though.

My controller setup
Xbox One controller model 1708 via bluetooth
OSD button mapped to Xbox button

What I have tried
Press and hold any mapped button while a console sore is active, then tap the OSD button.

Result
The OSD opens, and no auto fire seemed to be enabled.

Are there any known limitations with auto fire? Am I doing something incorrectly?
As a note I did look on github for any known open issues, and noticed there was only an open issue requesting an option to globally disable auto fire, so I assume this isn't normally possible to do.

Thanks for any input
Ryan
rockaholica

Re: Auto fire not working?

Update: I tested the same controller wired, instead of Bluetooth, and auto fire is working as expected. Is it safe to assume auto fire doesn't work with Bluetooth in general? Or maybe just with this specific controller model? I'll do some more testing as I have time.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I was about to say that for autofire to work on MiSTer cores, it must also be supported by your controller in the first place ("turbo function").

↓ correction; zakk4223 is of course right. I'm just used to SNAC where controller 1:1 functionality indeed matters :)
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

lamarax wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:02 pm I was about to say that for autofire to work on MiSTer cores, it must also be supported by your controller in the first place ("turbo function").
No, that's not the case. Mister has built in 'software' autofire that should work independent of controller type.
rockaholica

Update:
I tested with an Xbox controller, model 1914, and auto fire works completely as expected via Bluetooth. So it seems like something very specific to the Xbox controller 1708 when connected via bluetooth.

Does anyone have an Xbox controller 1708 (Xbox One 3rd gen / Xbox One S /Xbox One X) that they could connect to their MiSTer via Bluetooth to confirm is auto fire is working? If anyone else can confirm I'll file a bug on github. It's definitely not a big deal at all but worthy of a bug report if it's indented to work, but doesn't.

Thanks!
rockaholica

I should definitely have tried sooner, but updating the firmware on my Xbox controller solved this issue for me.