Saturn 3D controller and PS1 Dualshock possible with Daemonbite?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Hahnsoulo

Saturn 3D controller and PS1 Dualshock possible with Daemonbite?

Unread post by Hahnsoulo »

Since we now have Saturn and PS1 cores on the horizon, there will eventually be increased demand for using real Saturn and PS1 gamepads with the mister. Right now you can make a Saturn daemonbite adapter, but it only supports the digital controller. Will the Arduino Pro Micro (ATMega32U4) be able to handle the Saturn 3D and PS1 Dualshock? If not, is there another Arduino board suitable for the task? I know we still have the option to use a blisster for this, but I'd rather make my own daemonbite adapters when the time comes. Just wondering if it's possible, and if it's on the roadmap.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: Saturn 3D controller and PS1 Dualshock possible with Daemonbite?

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Wouldn't it be easier to use a PS3 gamepad via USB for the PS1 core?
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

Chris23235 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 pm Wouldn't it be easier to use a PS3 gamepad via USB for the PS1 core?
For the Dualshock, probably, but there were plenty of non-standard controllers for PS1 and Saturn. Racing wheels, NegCon and JogCon (which I believe Sorg has a converter for specifically), flight sticks, fight sticks, light guns, etc...
Chris23235
Top Contributor

SuperBabyHix wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 pm Wouldn't it be easier to use a PS3 gamepad via USB for the PS1 core?
For the Dualshock, probably, but there were plenty of non-standard controllers for PS1 and Saturn. Racing wheels, NegCon and JogCon (which I believe Sorg has a converter for specifically), flight sticks, fight sticks, light guns, etc...
For the PSX controllers I would use a stock PS1/2 to USB adapter. These adapters don't use any chips or something that would add aditional lag.

There are also adapters from Mayflash wich have a PS, Saturn and N64 port in one adapter. I never tried these so I can't say anything about the input lag, I think these adapters come with the same advantages/disadvantages as the Daemonbite solution.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

this was asked about in the discord channel as well

both controllers should be possible, unsure about analog, but the rumble function would take implementation from sorgelig
AND, the controllers would also need a 7v-9v line from "somewhere" to supply the proper voltage for the motors to rumble

i do hope someone finds a way to get original PS controllers with analog and rumble working on the MiSTer :fingerscrossed:
Chris23235
Top Contributor

0x15e wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:46 pm Daemonbite adapters are all digital-only as far as I know. I'm sure it would probably be possible to add the analog features but it's also possible they would be considered out of scope for the project.

Especially concerning would be the analog buttons on the DS2/DS3. I'm not sure if regular USB HID game controllers can support that many axes.
The analog triggers of DS2 and DS3 should be no problem when it comes to PSX as they can be handled as digital buttons.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Take a look:
https://github.com/sonik-br/SaturnMultiUSB

It accepts the 3d analog controller and also a multitap with multiple controllers.
I've made it to work with 2 saturn inputs but it's easy to make the adapter for just one controller input. (I can help with the arduino code if needed)
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

At this point I think the PS3,PS4,PS5 controllers are a better fit than PS1 and PS2 as PS 3 to 5 don't need adapters, you can chose wired or Bluetooth.
And for 3D games on the Saturn a PlayStation pad would work better.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

darksakul wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:01 am At this point I think the PS3,PS4,PS5 controllers are a better fit than PS1 and PS2 as PS 3 to 5 don't need adapters, you can chose wired or Bluetooth.
And for 3D games on the Saturn a PlayStation pad would work better.
How much is PS5 pad latency?
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Jegriva wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am How much is PS5 pad latency?
Check it out on Misteraddon's database.
https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

Sony - DualSense BT (CSR8510) 6.322 Controller 228 8/8/2021
Sony - DualSense Wired USB 1.809 Controller 227 8/8/2021

I can say that the Dual Shock 3, 4 and Dual Sense has less input latency than a number of the PS1/PS2 to US adaptors out there
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
SuperBabyHix

I think of the standard(ish) gamepads for the PS1 and Saturn, only the 3D Saturn controller has no modern equivalent. I say that solely based on the fact that it has 6 face buttons. I guess an original Xbox controller would be the closest since it had those weirdly offset white and black face buttons.
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

I would love it if I could use the NeGcon on the PS1 core eventually and the Twin Sticks on the Saturn.

Shout out to the JPN Saturn pad, best D-Pad.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

NeGcon and Twin Stick should be easy to use. Twin Stick can be used with any saturn to usb adapter as it is detected as a saturn pad.
Jogcon not so easy. But should be easy via SNAC.
SuperBabyHix

There is an existing solution for Jogcon found here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=148

Edit: I should clarify. The first post discusses how to mod the controller. A few posts down is an adapter.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I did have the neGcon working on MiSTer a while ago already, using a Playstation to USB adapter. It is the perfect controller for games like WipEout and Rollcage. The old dual shock controllers do have really nice rumble effects.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

SuperBabyHix wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:31 pm There is an existing solution for Jogcon found here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=148

Edit: I should clarify. The first post discusses how to mod the controller. A few posts down is an adapter.
This adapter will not work with force feedback in PS1 the games. The adapter is meant to be used as an generic paddle/spinner. (and it's great for this use!).
AFAIK there's no support for cores to send commands to an external usb stick in MiSTer. Only using SNAC.

I've implemented FFB on the arduino/jogcon but it's only usable on MAME for windows.