2 Joystick encoders with different VID/PID and Player 2 "start" doesn't work.

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
gibs

2 Joystick encoders with different VID/PID and Player 2 "start" doesn't work.

Unread post by gibs »

Hello,

Finally I have decided to put 2 differents encoders in my arcade cabinet in order to have 2 differents VID/PID but I can't make Player 2 enter the game.

Each of the stick encoder has its own "start" button.

In an arcade core like "wonderboy 3" or "silkworm" if player1 is playing (and there are some credits) player 2 can't join.

In the genesis console core, with "golden axe" or "altered beast" I can't start with 2 players.

If you have a idea, you're welcome :)
Flandango
Core Developer

Re: 2 Joystick encoders with different VID/PID and Player 2 "start" doesn't work.

Unread post by Flandango »

Out of curiosity, did you configure/map the 2nd encoder/controller or just the first?
gibs

Re: 2 Joystick encoders with different VID/PID and Player 2 "start" doesn't work.

Unread post by gibs »

I did configure and map both of them.

Thanks
sarcoptic

Unread post by sarcoptic »

You ever solve this issue? Same thing I have.
Flandango
Core Developer

I couldn't test Wonderboy 3 but I did try Silkwork, Golden Axe and Altered Beast.
What I had to do is first press a button on the controller for player one (Dpad/Analog Sticks didn't do it for me, but A/B worked fine) this will register the controller for Player 1, then I did the same thing for Player 2.
Then for each core (Silkworm, Genesis...) I had to configure the controls/buttons for each controller (make sure you save settings if you don't want to re-enter them).
Then I was able to play with two players.
sarcoptic

Hmm still lost...some games it does work fine and others not. The one I am having the issue with is a PC-Engine CD game Serei Senshi Spriggan. No matter what I can't get the 2nd player to join no matter how the Run button is defined.
Flandango
Core Developer

I don't have that game to try out but just in case, is Turbo Tap enabled?
sarcoptic

Man do I feel like an idiot...I didn't realize what the purpose of turbo tap was. I assumed it was enabling some turbo button feature. Happy to report after enabling that things are working as expected :lol: Just wanted to post the resolution maybe for others someday.
Flandango
Core Developer

Very easy to mistaken it's purpose if you are not familiar with the system and the fact it only had one controller port.