inputtest - values for comparison?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
pbsk8

inputtest - values for comparison?

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I see in utility there is a input tester.

I did test my m30 and sn30 controllers, but honestly the numbers appearing on screen I have no idea if they are laggy or not.

Is there a table with numbers so I can compare if I am having a lot of input lag in these controllers?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: inputtest - values for comparison?

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

You can look here for average latency, including for the 8bitdo controllers.

5 is kind of average for wired connections, with 1 or 2 being highly desirable and basically indistinguishable from a real "original" connection like SNAC.

Similarly it seems like 10 is kind of normal for wireless/bluetooth with 5 being more desirable.

I don't know how these relate to inputtest though, these numbers requiring wiring an arduino to the same button for measurement purposes and so are highly accurate/objective and completely independent from any potential video lag.
jimmystones
Core Developer

Re: inputtest - values for comparison?

Unread post by jimmystones »

The Button Tester mode in the input test core is largely just an experiment at the moment - to have an accurate test you need to take the human out of the equation, and any display lag, as FoxbatStargazer mentioned above.