SNAC Questions

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
seastalker

SNAC Questions

Unread post by seastalker »

I have a BLISSTER board instead of the standard USB one and already know most of the differences between SNAC and Blisster. Lon.TV just released a great video on SNAC (I learned I won't be able to use a Sega light phaser on Nes or zapper on SMS). Blisster will not be enough for light guns to work.

I bought a peripheral that came with a Sega SNAC (DB9 input to the serial that looks like USB 3.0) and didn't get others thinking I'd have to buy one for every controller type. So the 'NEW' version of SNAC has a more universal HDMI input... [This would ALSO be great not needing separate 'SNAC's per each controller?]

Does this mean if I get one, I can now plug any of my many Bliss-box HDMI thingies into the new SNAC with original controllers or do I need a new/different hdmi-to-controller-adpater as the middleman for OG controllers?

I haven't tried the Sega one yet, but may do so with my Sega light phaser on the CRT. Would be great if a separate mini daughter board with 3.5 mm input jack for 3d glasses exists one day.

I could use this new 'hdmi SNAC' for my NES zapper. I've not played any power pad games before but that could be cool. Any future plans for this new SNAC like PC-engine or other controllers like the keypads on coleco/intellivision? Rob the robot? XEGS Atari phaser??
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: SNAC Questions

Unread post by thorr »

I have not heard of this newer version until your post and found it on Mister Addons. It looks like it doesn't have an Atari 2600 option. The Genesis one will work, but not for Paddles. It requires a stereo headphone jack to connect to the ADC input.
seastalker

Interesting about the Atari paddles. I haven't checked in a while, but I will look to see if I can use paddles on the MiST (has DB9 ports). I also must refresh myself with the MiST cores in general to see which are now the same as the MiSTer cores and which are standalone.
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

I bought my SNAC adapter from MiSTerAddOns before there was the case option. Mine is labeled as v3.1 on the board itself. I don't follow the ins and outs of SNAC, but I wasn't aware there was anything "new" about the current offering; just that now he had a cased option.

I didn't think anything of possible differences so I haven't done full tests of everything but this is what my experience has been and what I have time to test right now. I have a BlisSTer board so I've been picking up the HDMI connector models, not USB models, of controller adapters. I have an official Bliss-Box NES adapter that I bought through UltimateMiSTer and the one from MiSTerAddOns that state they're not from Bliss-Box. Both work on the LLAPI version for the BlisSTer board and the SNAC only versions of the NES core. And previously, I have used the Bliss-Box one through the SNAC adapter for connecting an NES Zapper and it worked. I cannot claim compatibility is the same with all the adapters from both manufacturers but I would guess they would. If they weren't, then I'd expect MiSTerAddOns' SNAC adapter to only work for one or the other, not both in my test.

The HDMI connector is mostly a decision made because it's a readily available connector with plenty of pins to hard wire 1 to 1 for the original controllers. That's why Bliss-Box is using them. It's a similar idea to the VGA connector on the MiSTer IO board in that it's not strictly a VGA port but whatever the MiSTer makes it output. The adapters are otherwise just connectors and wires. The difference is beyond the adapter like the LLAPI circuit in the BlisSTer board or the SNAC circuit in the SNAC adapters. Part of the MiSTerAddOns site disclaimer that they're not Bliss-Box adapters could be due to manufacturing differences that *may* make a difference or just being responsible for what he sells. But as long as they're both using the same pin out for the connector, they're functionally no different (quality differences aside).

As for what supports SNAC or LLAPI, that's up to the core devs. Bliss-Box adapters aren't strictly for the MiSTer or BliSTer and even reach beyond what the MiSTer is capable of like GameCube and PS2. The chip shortages seem to have impacted what adapters have been available as well. There were TurboGraphx and PC Engine sized controller adapters so that was possible previously. R.O.B. doesn't directly connect to the system and runs on batteries so he's more dependent on a CRT TV for his control flashes than connecting to the MiSTer itself. I believe the Atari light gun is substituted for a Sega Light Phaser in the core so that's what would be needed for that. Again, it depends on what's available and what someone wants to code.
seastalker

I figured the same about compatibility but thank you for testing. I may have to order some SNAC gear