PSX/PS1 Daemonbite Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
evidencedj

PSX/PS1 Daemonbite Controller

Unread post by evidencedj »

Does anyone know if there is a current development to implement a Playstation controller with the Daemonbite adapters?
Due to the ongoing development of the Playstation core, this would be very cool.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Re: PSX/PS1 Daemonbite Controller

Unread post by Chris23235 »

As far as I know there is no PSX Daemonbite adapter but there are dozens of cheap PSX2USB converters. These converters are passive so my guess is they don't introduce much lag.
evidencedj

I already found this commit: https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... 44ad267e1e

"This is a simple to build adapter for connecting PSX controllers to USB. Currently it supports normal digital PSX controllers, analog sticks are not supported. The input lag for this adapter is minimal (about 0.75ms average connected to MiSTer)."

This seems to be a good start. I hope this commit will be officially released soon.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Chris23235 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:16 pm As far as I know there is no PSX Daemonbite adapter but there are dozens of cheap PSX2USB converters. These converters are passive so my guess is they don't introduce much lag.
I don't think that is possible? There has to be some conversion to turn it into HiD adapter... the power it draws is surely from the USB port. Could be very low lag or absolutely horrible but passive seems impossible...
blacklistedcard

Unread post by blacklistedcard »

Why not just use the PS4 controller with bluetooth?
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

I'd rather use one of my Windows/Xbox Ms controllers
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

If you want a DIY solution with arduino its super easy.
There's a lot of ready to use arduino code on github to make your own adapter.

PSx controllers uses 3.3v. For my projects I use 5v arduinos with conversion to 3.3v.
There's arduinos with 3.3v but I have zero experience with them.

I've build an adapter to use ps1 GunCon over usb (and a crt tv) and it have some limited functionality for dualshock controllers.
https://github.com/sonik-br/GunconDuino
When the ps1 core is ready I might add full support for the dualshock. I'm waiting to see if/how rumble will be supported on MiSTer.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

I plan to use, brace yourself, an 8bitdo SN30 Pro 2 Xbox edition.
evidencedj

For me it is all about the minimum possible input lag, so that's why I asked for the Daemonbite solution. These are so incredibly good in this factor. So no bluetooth, 3rd party controller adapter/accessory will work for me.

@sonik this seems to be a very good solution either. Do you have any figures regarding input lag?
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

I don't have the equipment to measure.
But reading and reporting simple joysticks on an arduino is really super fast. Even with analog values it should be under 2 or 3 ms.
The only thing is that, like I said, the psx uses 3.3v and I have not tested it with a 3.3v arduino. I had to use voltage conversion.
I think it's best to wait for the core to be ready (or mature enough) and see what are the options to connect a psx controller to MiSTer.
I might add support for the psx multitap on my adapter too. :)