Aracde Joysticks for MiSTer

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Blastmaster

Aracde Joysticks for MiSTer

Unread post by Blastmaster »

When I get this setup I`ll mainly be using MAME. Some MAME games use 1 fire button, some use 2 etc etc Any recommendations for an aracde style joystick that will cover most MAME games ?

I saw this but not sure if compatible with Mister

https://monsterjoysticks.com/deluxe-cd3 ... it-classic

All help appreciated !!!
thorr
Top Contributor

Re: Aracde Joysticks for MiSTer

Unread post by thorr »

I would recommend to build your own. Then you can make it exactly the way you want it with the best parts. Check out http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ It totally depends on what game you want to play that dictates what the best joystick for it would be. My favorite joystick is the Dominux 8 from groovygamegear.com. It is perfect for classic games. However, it is terrible for fighting games. I originally started with a fightstick similar to what you posted and it was terrible for classic games but great for fighting games. You may eventually end up building multiple joystick control panels that serve the various purposes you need. Also, many people like the IL Competition stick. That might be a good all around choice. Hope this helps.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Arcades machines back in the day all had their own controls, and that was often what drew you in to spend your pocket money on experiencing the experience that game offered

Atm, this looks like my ideal diy arcade setup...
536c1810980f99271f09a3317178a119--arcade-table-arcade-games.jpg
536c1810980f99271f09a3317178a119--arcade-table-arcade-games.jpg (36.23 KiB) Viewed 16199 times
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

What does MAME have to do with Mister? Do you want a stick that can cover both Mister and a separate MAME device? Any USB device should work there.

Is 2 Fire buttons really enough? We do have some Capcom fighters via Jotego, 8+ buttons does have use. This makes the CD32 Joystick come up a bit short.

If you want a pre-built USB stick, I would look to the PC/PS4/and/or Switch compatible ones. Quanba drone seems to be the best wired one in the sub-100 category. There's quite a few options if you are willing to spend more but I haven't played with myself, but brands to check are Hori, Quanba, and Victrix.
Topbravo

Unread post by Topbravo »

I really like my 8bitdo arcade stick with custom octagon gate plate. It’s been really fun playing the arcade codes with it.
machinejump

Unread post by machinejump »

Topbravo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:56 am I really like my 8bitdo arcade stick with custom octagon gate plate. It’s been really fun playing the arcade codes with it.
also a fan of the 8bitdo arcade stick with the octagon gate plate - also went for a heavier spring and changed out that cuff-part that reduces slack in the stick (forget the name). But yea that controller has been just lovely.
clarkkent

Unread post by clarkkent »

The 8bitdo Arcade Stick is also my favorite even with the factory joystick and buttons…
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

The recent/current 8bitdo arcade stick doesn't have the best wired latency numbers (10 ms). Barely matters on a Switch but we have 1ms polling on mister. this site lets you search the latency results. Hori seems to be among the best in that class.
clarkkent

You have to be a professional hard core player to notice the latency. My 8bitdo Arcade Stick is connected via the 2.4 Ghz dongle and it just plays great!
Bumtree

Unread post by Bumtree »

You don't have to be particularly skilled at all to have added lag compromise / ruin enjoyment.

All it takes is a preference for fast moving action games.. and maybe a little experience struggling to enjoy them as much in less than optimal scenarios (such as, say, an emubox outputting a 720p signal to a 1080p plasma HDTV as opposed to real hardware on a CRT).
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

clarkkent wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:04 pm You have to be a professional hard core player to notice the latency. My 8bitdo Arcade Stick is connected via the 2.4 Ghz dongle and it just plays great!
The dongle you use, is it the black or grey one from 8bitdo? Thanks.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

I use a madcatz TE2 guilty gear edition
clarkkent

The dongle is grey with a brick texture.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

clarkkent wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:09 pm The 8bitdo Arcade Stick is also my favorite even with the factory joystick and buttons…
Same.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

my recommendation would be either a stick with a UFB, or a daemonbite arcade project
(https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite-Arcade-Encoder)
both would use an existing arcade stick you like, and then replace the board inside with either the UFB or a ProMicro Atmega32U4

but if a prebuilt stick is preferred, i would reference the input latency chart that MisterAddons put together and see which one is in your price range https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency

theres actually some great ones, filtering by joystick, in that list!
Zipstick

Unread post by Zipstick »

I am currently looking at getting an arcade stick for my Xbox but would also like it to work my Mister. Has anyone had any luck with the latest Hori arcade stick : Hori Series X Fight Sticking Alpha?

I can see previous models in the input latency charts but not this model. TIA
Murderface1982

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

I got the retro freaks Famicom style arcade stick.... Size and feel are perfect... A few of the options style buttons seem inconsistent, could be the cores I'm playing on. No idea how latency is feels great though.

It's.a beautiful stick urge y'all to check it out.
pakopakopako

Unread post by pakopakopako »

I am very happy with the one I built using this brook pcb https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/58690501/ Seimitsu stick far better than the Sanwa one.

1.jpg
1.jpg (455.34 KiB) Viewed 14764 times
edr

Unread post by edr »

https://www.youtube.com/c/NihongoGamer has reviewed many many sticks and button pads (direction keys instead of stick) in detail.

For Pro's (and complete unrepentant forever-amateurs who just like one :) the Victrix Pro is a great one, wired only (removable USB-C -> USB A cable). Very large and pretty weighty aluminum. Comes in black and some other anodized colors, and they had some limited edition colors w/laser etched SF characters. Quick-release stick, and there's even a little nub on the bottom door to stow the rubber cover for the stick port after attaching the stick. Obviously no lag, or as close to 0 as you're likely to get.

I also like the 8BitDo Arcade stick, modded with Sanwa joystick and buttons. The default parts that come with the stick are trash imo, the joystick in particular feels horrible and at times doesn't return properly to the center. The 8BitDo can work wired USB (removable cord), BT or 2.4 GHz (2.4 GHz adapter included, in "hidden" compartment where the cable also plugs in). Think of it as a cheap stick that should have cost more, but they put bad parts in it to make you waste a few hours and a bunch of money to get it up to the level it needs to be.

Porckchop's latency numbers for the 8BitDo are not amazing, but "OK". It's no better wired than BT or 2.4 GHz - bad design. And even though 8BitDo touts their 2.4 controllers, for this one at least latency is worse than with BT - weird.

https://rpubs.com/misteraddons/inputlatency
8BitDo - Arcade Stick for Switch and Windows
Wired USB 10.863
BT (CSR8510) 7.363
2.4 GHz 11.102

Parts I bought from Focus Attack to mod the 8BitDo (there are a bunch of other good arcade parts retailers). There are various YouTube videos on how to mod this stick. No soldering required - if you use the pin harness to connect the Sanwa stick to the 8BitDo. I remember having to clip a small amount of plastic along the edge of one of the harness connectors so that it will plug in (discussed in YouTube tutorials). Overall it was a bunch of work to swap out all the buttons, esp. removing the very tight spade connectors. If the buttons sound like too much work, I'd do the stick at least for sure. The 8BitDo is assembled using screws into plastic (yuck), so you don't want to take it apart too many times, and don't re-tighten too hard.

(I used the stick, regular shiny Sanwa stick balltop, the buttons, and the pin harness. All the other stuff didn't really need, some are replacement parts in case anything wears out).

1 x Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT Joystick
- Added Lever Harness: 5-Pin Double End Female Harness
- Added Compatible Balltop: Sanwa LB-35 Black
- Added 2lb or 4lb JLF Tension Spring: 4lb Tension Spring
- Added FA.DAB .20 Oz Vial Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease

1 x KINU Silky Touch Rubber Coated Balltop - Black

9 x Sanwa OBSF 30mm Pushbuttons Dark Red
2 x Sanwa OBSF 24mm Pushbutton Black

1 x Sanwa JLF-CD Shaft & Dustwasher Set Black
1 x Sanwa JLF-CD Clear Shaft & Matching Dustwasher Set

1 x Sanwa JLF Replacement Spring
1 x 2lb Tension Spring for Sanwa JLF
1 x Sanwa JLF-P-4 Pivot
1 x Sanwa JLF-P-6 Pressure Spring Base
1 x JLF E-Clip
1 x T.E.2+ Spacer for Sanwa 30mm OBS series Pushbuttons (8-Pak)
1 x Buttercade Snap Out Tool for Pushbuttons - 30mm
1 x Buttercade Snap Out Tool for Pushbuttons - 24mm