Suggestion for a reliable USB hub please

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
AmintaMister

Suggestion for a reliable USB hub please

Unread post by AmintaMister »

As the topic's title suggests, I'm searching for a suggestion for a reliable USB hub. Currently I use a powered old Belkin Usb 2.0 ports. I need a 6-8 ports because I have many original input devices attached, and/or I need a hub reliable for days chaining. The problem with the current hub is that sometimes, after 1 hour of gaming for example, some attached devices disconnect themselves (ie the 8BitDo Arcade Stick) and/or "go crazy" like the stick was kept bend to left or so....

Many thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
Bas
Top Contributor

Re: Suggestion for a reliable USB hub please

Unread post by Bas »

The MiSTer one from a reputable seller. Mine's been fine for over a year.
HarborSeal

Unread post by HarborSeal »

Merry Christmas!

I bought a 7-port powered hub from Monoprice a couple years ago. Still works great. https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21787
caad

Unread post by caad »

This is a bit of an oddball suggestion, but you might want to look for hubs meant for use in market segments where stability means everything. E.g. from point of sale PCs, where downtime means money lost for the users.

I got a USB 2 hub from a Wincor cash register PC off eBay for very little money, and it has been absolutely rock solid.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

Before the official USB HUB I used a Digitus DA-70222. It worked fine for me although I didn't give it heavy use or measured lag.
Enthropy

Unread post by Enthropy »

I am using TP-Link UH720 https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-network ... ter/uh720/
It can deliver enough power (keyboard dongle, mouse dongle, wifi, bluetooth, mechanical harddrive, arcade stick) and it did not give me any problems with stability. It has 7 ports + 2 charging only.
AmintaMister

Enthropy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:14 am I am using TP-Link UH720 https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-network ... ter/uh720/
It can deliver enough power (keyboard dongle, mouse dongle, wifi, bluetooth, mechanical harddrive, arcade stick) and it did not give me any problems with stability. It has 7 ports + 2 charging only.
Bought on eBay, thanks! I'll let you know if it works for me!
AmintaMister

Hi all! I've tested the TP-Link UH720 (a boxed brand new model) and I have a problem: when the hub is connected to my Mister via one of the USB ports of the BlisSter (updated on both ports to the latest firmware), the menu behaviour becomes erratic, with clock that misses seconds and autoscroll of items menus.

If I disconnect the Hub all it works.

I'm using this 5V 4A as PSU for Mister: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01HRR9GY4/ and obviously the USB Hub uses its PSU.

Thanks in advance for your hints!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

A couple of thoughts!
What happens if you try without the usb hub psu connected (and probably without everything plugged in to limit the power draw)?
There is a chance that the hub is back feeding the blisster and could cause trouble that way.

Then on top of that does this also happens if you do not plug many controllers/keyboard/etc in?
Thinking of two things here, power draw off course.
But also can the one usb line into the DE-10 be saturated when to much is connected to it?

You could also try to unplug one usb thing at a time to see if one or two do something to the usb.
Like using to much usb resources even if not in use like shouthing i´m here 63547 times a second which will use bandwith and make everything else have higher delay.

You could also try to connect the usb hub before the blisster maybe the blisster does not like the hub for some reason but will work if it is before the blisster.
As in not use the usb bridge to the blisster but use a regular usb cable to the hub then another usb cable to the blisster.
The LLAPI hdmi ports on the blisster will still work fine in LLAPI mode since they goes trough the user port from the io board.

Anyway pretty easy and fast to test all of the above.
AmintaMister

You could also try to unplug one usb thing at a time to see if one or two do something to the usb.
Like using to much usb resources even if not in use like shouthing i´m here 63547 times a second which will use bandwith and make everything else have higher delay.
I've tried, one by one, no luck.
As in not use the usb bridge to the blisster but use a regular usb cable to the hub then another usb cable to the blisster.
Can you explain what you mean, please?

Thanks for the help!
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

I assume you have the blisster mounted under the de-10 nano?
If yes then unplug the usb bridge that connect the blisster to the de-10.

mister.png
mister.png (540.55 KiB) Viewed 8887 times

You see the usb bridge at the right in the right picture.

And just now i came to think about that it wont work like i thought.
Did not think about the fact that the de-10 do have a micro usb port.
So too do what i suggested and put the usb hub before the blisster you will need a Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable.
Like this for example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5GZ3N0

And like i said unplug the usb bridge use (IF you have or buy one) the usb otg cable to the usb hub then a normal usb A to usb micro cable to the blisster.

I did look at the UH720 hub now and see that it is USB3 that can very well be your problem.
But Enthropy is using one and it works?
Yes but it could be that the blisster and the UH720 does not like each other and gives problem or you have a never UH720 that could have a different USB chip in it that does not work well with the de-10. (YES it is common that stuff gets exchanged to other stuff in electronics)

It is recommended to use a USB 2.0 hub for the mister!
AmintaMister

grizzly wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:37 am I assume you have the blisster mounted under the de-10 nano?
If yes then unplug the usb bridge that connect the blisster to the de-10.
You see the usb bridge at the right in the right picture.

And just now i came to think about that it wont work like i thought.
Did not think about the fact that the de-10 do have a micro usb port.
So too do what i suggested and put the usb hub before the blisster you will need a Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable.
Like this for example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5GZ3N0

And like i said unplug the usb bridge use (IF you have or buy one) the usb otg cable to the usb hub then a normal usb A to usb micro cable to the blisster.

I did look at the UH720 hub now and see that it is USB3 that can very well be your problem.
But Enthropy is using one and it works?
Yes but it could be that the blisster and the UH720 does not like each other and gives problem or you have a never UH720 that could have a different USB chip in it that does not work well with the de-10. (YES it is common that stuff gets exchanged to other stuff in electronics)

It is recommended to use a USB 2.0 hub for the mister!
Thanks, I will try with cable instead of the Usb bridge!
AmintaMister

Ok, it seems the problem was the low amperage of the Psu.

I've replaced the MISTer Psu with the Meanwell GST60A 5v 6A Psu (https://it.rs-online.com/web/p/alimenta ... op/8808391) and after two days of testing all it's perfectly working!