Coin mech and daemonbite arcade

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
nizce

Coin mech and daemonbite arcade

Unread post by nizce »

Hi!

I'd really like to add a coin mech to my bartop arcade, but I'm unsure how to connect it safely.
The one Im thinking about purchasing is this one: https://www.amazon.se/gp/product/B08KT72QSX/
I think I found the correct manual for it which is this one: https://5.imimg.com/data5/II/IU/MY-5551 ... -py616.pdf

It seems to have 4 pins:
1. DC12v
2. Coin
3. Ground
4. Counter

Saw a YouTube video where they connected 12v and ground to an normal 12v transformer.
The Coin and Counter they connected to their keyboard encoder as a single button.

Is this OK/safe?
I know very little about electronics, but shouldn't there be a common ground? Like all the other standard player buttons and joystick?

Also I know the coin mech sends one or several pulses when feed a coin, but no idea if that is 12v, 5v or something else,
and what voltage is safe for the Arduino.
AngelicLiver

Re: Coin mech and daemonbite arcade

Unread post by AngelicLiver »

These coin comparator mechs are all very similar and this should do fine.
  1. DC12v - This is your 12v+ (red) from your power supply (if there is a second wire, just isolate it with electrical tape).
  2. Coin - This will be the pin on the Pro Micro dedicated to your coin input.
  3. Ground - This will be the 12v ground (black) from your power supply.
  4. Counter - This will be the ground pin on the Pro Micro.
Make sure if the NO/NC switch it is the "NO" position. You may also have to twiddle the "Switch width" along with the inching setting to make sure the coin registers.
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Thanks!
I found some other guides which uses a 12v relay between the coin mech and arduino and doesn’t use the wire for counter. As seen at 01:00 in this video https://youtu.be/wW5Y_yEe8vY

Is that safer than connecting both coin(input) and counter(ground) to the arduino?
Or perhaps they’re both just as safe but different ways to do it.
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

The coin pulses should be the same as pushing a switch, 1 for a single coin and multiple times for a higher value coin, this will depend on how you set it up to accept coins.
You should not connect the Counter to the pro Micro as this will send out 12v to power and advance a physical coin counter.
To make sure it's safe, before connecting it to the pro micro, test the voltage out from the coin connection with a multi meter as it should just be closing a connection for the coin and not sending 12V too
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
nizce

Unread post by nizce »

Thanks! i’ll try that and see what it reads egen i pick it up this coming week.
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

I made my own daemonbite with coin mech. You are going overboard if you have anything with extra elecronics. A simple HAPP coin mech and coin mech housing would do, you can get it used. Happ coin mechs have specific mechs for different coins just get the right one, they are exchangeable if you change your mind. You wire it just like a button and you are set.

here is it shown previously here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=96&p=12263#p12263
Fear is the mind killer!