Issues with I-Pac and arcade cores and/or remap keys

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Morfious

Issues with I-Pac and arcade cores and/or remap keys

Unread post by Morfious »

I have an I-Pac2 that I use as my interface for my MiSTer device in my modded Arcade 1up cabinet. I am running the latest updated MiSTer core that allows the I-Pac/J-Pac to operate as 2 joysticks. For some cores this works out just fine (CPS1 SF2) I can map both joysticks and all buttons/coin/start to the correct inputs.

I have defined the sticks and buttons in both the menu core as well as the specific arcade core.

My current layout has the buttons as:
Y X L
B A R

The problem comes with some cores like Robotron where I want P1 joystick to be movement and P2 joystick to be shooting directions. No Matter what I try I am unable to map things in this manner.

I have added the following to the Mister.ini file

Code: Select all

; JammaSD/J-PAC/I-PAC keys to joysticks translation
; You have to provide correct VID and PID of your input device
; Examples: Legacy J-PAC with Mini-USB or USB capable I-PAC with PS/2 connectors VID=0xD209/PID=0x0301
; USB Capable J-PAC with only PS/2 connectors VID=0x04B4/PID=0x0101
; JammaSD: VID=0x04D8/PID=0xF3AD
jamma_vid=0xD209
jamma_pid=0x0420
On the I-Pac (2015+ model) I am currently running firmware 1.49 which treats the I-Pac like a keyboard only. I have also tried the Multi mode firmware 1.53 and had issues with the buttons not being recognized as well as the unit being in the wrong mode xinput vs Dinput. I have checked that the PID of my unit is correct as above.

I'm looking for anyone with a working setup to pass along their knowledge so I can get things running correctly. Over my course of trying to get things to work I have been able to attain certain things working correctly independently. But never everything at the same time. Volume up/down works on menu core but not in arcade core etc. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
bdlou

Re: Issues with I-Pac and arcade cores and/or remap keys

Unread post by bdlou »

Hello there. I'm the person that added the J-PAC/I-PAC support. In a nutshell, it's a hack. :) Since an I-PAC2 is simply a single keyboard interface, MiSTer expects 2 devices to map 2 controllers. After you map P1, if you map P2, you're basically overwriting P1.

The change I made slams down the keys that are defined at https://www.ultimarc.com/control-interf ... interface/ once you set up P1. I believe these are the "MAME standard" and is the layout that all PAC devices (and other similar devices) use. This is already what the JAMMASD implementation was doing, only with a few of the keys missing.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to, as what would be required to support this goes way deeper into the MiSTer code than my current skills are.
Zeosstud

Re: Issues with I-Pac and arcade cores and/or remap keys

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Mister Control Panel with Labels.png
Mister Control Panel with Labels.png (100.1 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
did you get this sorted? I play Robotron on my mister all the time and I use an ipac2.. I am currently NOT using the jamma hack.. Attached is how I have my stuff setup..

the right joystick is important to have setup as shown ( I think )

the left joystick, which I literally only use for Robotron and Zaxxon has always been map able..

Hope this somehow helps..