PCE Mini controller issues with menu hotkey combo [Solved]

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
colonel panic

PCE Mini controller issues with menu hotkey combo [Solved]

Unread post by colonel panic »

Hi guys. I just got a PC Engine Mini USB controller in the mail today, which I ordered specifically for use with a MiSTer. The OS detects it fine and it works great for all cores that only use 2 face buttons, except that I can't map a menu hotkey combo that works correctly. The first combo that I tried was down + select, which works fine for bringing up the menu when I'm in a game, but then using that combo again doesn't close it. It looks like select toggles the new nested menus feature in the latest revisions, and that interferes with using that combo. So then I tried down + start, and ran into the same problem for some unknown reason. It brings up the menu but doesn't close it. With the limited amount of buttons on this type of controller, I can't think of any other combo that wouldn't adversely effect gameplay. Anyone know a way around this?

TL;DR- Anyone figure out a reliable menu button combo for an NES-style joypad?
colonel panic

Re: PCE Mini controller issues with menu hotkey combo

Unread post by colonel panic »

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I forgot that the back button can also close out the menu. Problem solved haha