Antonio Villena's Decapod vs Octopod

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Marianorod

Antonio Villena's Decapod vs Octopod

Unread post by Marianorod »

Hello everyone
I am trying to make a desicion in what SNAC devide to buy to connect controls.
I like Antonio's deca and octo, as they come in tandems and are nice put toghether.

Decapod has SNES but not PSX and Octopod is the other way round (has PSX and lacks SNES) and both USB/DB9 and MT32 support.
It seems that is the only difference.

Any user who can give an opinion?

Cheers
Superdude

Re: Antonio Villena's Decapod vs Octopod

Unread post by Superdude »

I own the Decapod and love it. It is my favorite device. It is NOT SNAC. It uses USB Deamonbyte controller chip. It is supper fast and I cant tell the difference between that and SNAC. There is a SNAC device called SNAX if you want ps SNAC. It is on Misteraddons. It also supports the light gun for ps as well.

I never tried octopod so I dunno how that is.
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

Superdude wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:37 am I own the Decapod and love it. It is my favorite device. It is NOT SNAC. It uses USB Deamonbyte controller chip. It is supper fast and I cant tell the difference between that and SNAC. There is a SNAC device called SNAX if you want ps SNAC. It is on Misteraddons. It also supports the light gun for ps as well.

I never tried octopod so I dunno how that is.
Decapod is also SNAC. There are two versions: Decapod USB (cheaper and only USB) and regular Decapod (with SNAC-DB9, MT32 and USB). Is not a SNAC compatible with official io boards but it works with official cores with SNAC support. But for OSD and 2player support I recommend the forked cores.
Superdude

Unread post by Superdude »

Yes, I do have your USB version. Did not know there was a SNAC version. Good stuff! Love your work!
Marianorod

Superdude wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:37 amIt uses USB Deamonbyte controller chip
Wow, I didn't know this and thought it was regular USB
Marianorod

antoniovillena wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:35 pm
Decapod is also SNAC. There are two versions: Decapod USB (cheaper and only USB) and regular Decapod (with SNAC-DB9, MT32 and USB). Is not a SNAC compatible with official io boards but it works with official cores with SNAC support. But for OSD and 2player support I recommend the forked cores.
Thanks for answering Antonio! Is there going to be an octopod with USB connection, or an USB Decadod that has also PSX ports? I mean, something taht has it all basically..
antoniovillena

Unread post by antoniovillena »

Marianorod wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:27 pm
antoniovillena wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:35 pm
Thanks for answering Antonio! Is there going to be an octopod with USB connection, or an USB Decadod that has also PSX ports? I mean, something taht has it all basically..
Hi. No, decapod has not PSX ports. It has SNES and PCE/Turbografx instead. For PSX I've released Octopod with same philosophy: that's SNAC and USB low latency (daemonbite) USB ports. For people with official io board only USB because it's SNAC extended (DB9).