Can't get Mayflash F500 v2 to work with MiSTer

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
redmoonlevel9

Can't get Mayflash F500 v2 to work with MiSTer

Unread post by redmoonlevel9 »

Hi all,

It's probably me being dumb but no combination of modes on the mayflash F500 v2 allows it to work with the mister.
It works on the PC without drivers so I am puzzled as to why I get nothing via the mister.

Anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Sigismond0

Re: Can't get Mayflash F500 v2 to work with MiSTer

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Works fine for me in just about every mode. Only quirk is that I need to plug it in *after* booting MiSTer. If I boot up while it's plugged in, it won't work until I unplug and re-plug into a different USB port.
redmoonlevel9

Just tried that, unplugged it switched on mister then plugged it in, nothing.
Tried multiple modes while doing that, still nothing.
Other USB ports on the mister, same deal.

When you say just about any mode is there a particular one you use?
There seems to be two main switches for mode setting, the first one and the second one (from the top-left), the second one is LS, DP (for DPad) and RS.
Also the manual mentions holding start + Y for direct input - all of which I've tried.
Sigismond0

I start it with the select switch in the middle setting, no buttons held. I think the LED comes on red for "Switch" mode, but I have it covered up with a custom skin. Second switch is in DP mode.

Edit: Just tested. Works in both XINPUT and "middle" modes on the first switch. I prefer the middle location, because XINPUT doesn't let me map using the Menu button. DIN/PS3/SNK mode doesn't seem to work. I can't quite tell what LED color it is because of my skin, but in game console mode I'm either getting a red LED for Switch mode, or a purple LED from Android mode. Regardless, I just boot, then plug in, and it works with the switch in the middle position and no buttons held.
redmoonlevel9

Thanks a lot for the information, unfortunately still nothing for me.
It lights up purple on the middle setting rather than red, but neither that nor xinput work.
I'm going to hook up the serial console terminal later and see if the mister is reading the input at all.
Failing that I can't think of anything other than returning the stick, which will be a shame!
Sigismond0

Did a little more playing around, and here are the statuses I get:
  • If I plug in USB after MiSTer boots, and leave the switch in the middle position, I get a red LED. Stick works. (TPAD button can't be mapped)
  • If I leave USB plugged in during boot, and leave the switch in the middle position, I get a red or purple flash then solid light green LED. Stick works (TPAD and MENU buttons can't be mapped).
  • If I have the switch in the XINPUT position, I get a blue-green LED and the stick works (TPAD and MENU buttons can't be mapped).
  • If I have the switch in the DIN/PS3/SNK position, I get a blinking green LED and the stick doesn't work.
  • All of these are with no buttons held. MiSTer doesn't seem to register the alternate "button hold" modes and the stick never actually boots into them. They work fine on PC.
To be clear, I had to map all of these modes. I don't think any had default mappings, so it seemed like the stick didn't work at all at first glance. When you're in one of the LED states I have described up top, either use another controller to launch the joystick mapping wizard, or hold down the User button on the MiSTer to trigger it. See if it lets you map.
redmoonlevel9

I am such a dunce sometimes! :)
The one thing I didn't think of was actually mapping the joystick within mister - I supposed that since my last usb joystick just worked then this one would, being a HiD device.
Thanks so much for your help Sigismond0, it all works fine now - all I had to do was use the keyboard to select joystick mapping and set everything up.
Interesting that in some modes certain buttons can't be mapped but I think I've found a good setup with it in the XInput and DPad positions.
You're right about it ignoring held button modes too, I guess that's for more advanced scenarios.

Glad I don't have to send it back anyway.
More stupid questions will be forthcoming in future I'm sure ;)

Cheers.