8bitdo USB adapter gets stuck and registers no input after hard reboot

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
hitm4n

Re: 8bitdo USB adapter gets stuck and registers no input after hard reboot

Unread post by hitm4n »

My guess is with initialising them and its a MiSTer issue.

I also have an 8bitDo M30 Pro controller (love it), with the standard bluetooth dongle that came with it. After a MiSTer soft reboot (so not an unplug or power switched off), expectedly the controller is dropped. The controller automatically goes into seek mode to try and re-pair up, the dongle is flashing, the controller is polling, but it will NOT connect. It will poll until it times out and turns off. I have to hold the Start and X buttons (this is for x-input) to cancel the x-input polling, essentially turning off the controller, then press both those buttons again to start it polling again. And it connects after a few seconds without issue. We shouldn't have to power cycle the controller just because the MiSTer dropped it.
Digitron

Unread post by Digitron »

I think it has something to do with the controller pcb compatibility with the mister, my Hori VX-SA has this problem but my Brook Zero PI board has no issues at all.
Zawa

Unread post by Zawa »

Just posting to say that I have noticed the same problem with 8bitdo's PC Engine 2.4G controller. After a hard reboot the USB dongle it came with must be unplugged and plugged back in again for the input to be detected by the system. On hard reboot the blue sync light turns solid but no input is detected when pressing buttons in the menu.

Using a 2.1 MiSTer usb board with a Mean Well 4A power supply.

My 8bitdo M30 that is connected to a regular belkin BT dongle works just fine without having to re-plug the dongle after a hard reboot.
'
Edit: 8bitdo arcade stick with 2.4G dongle connects just fine after a hard reboot. Hmm

Edit 2: After plugging in the arcade stick dongle alongside all the other usb devices the PCE 2.4G controller reconnects and works after a hard reboot. If the arcade dongle is removed it [the PCE controller] goes back to not working after hard reboots. What is going on here?

Edit 3:
Only PCE dongle plugged in = controller connects just fine after hard reboot
PCE dongle + ASUS USB AC53 AC1200 dongle plugged in = controller does not connect after hard reboot
PCE dongle + AASUS USB AC53 AC1200 + 8bitdo arcade dongle plugged in = controller connects just fine after hard reboot

??
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Sounds to me like a speed issue or boot sequence issue with the usb dongles, they are ready before the OS starts to poll. The fact that when you have multiple plugged in and you get varying results could support this. Maybe the 8bitdo one initiates itself faster than others (or slower, depending on the failure reason). All theory of course.
Digitron

Unread post by Digitron »

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/issues/297

Issue is related to this, issue was closed because it appeared to be an issue with 8bitdo firmware but the issue actually extends to other controllers. Between the Linux kernel update or the Mister update, something changed along the way because I never had this issue prior to updating.
kfreiberg

Unread post by kfreiberg »

Not sure if this ever got a permanent solution in another thread somewhere but I have had this same problem for years. I am referring specifically to the OP's issue of the 8bitdo USB Adapter will not reconnect properly to the MiSter after a cold reboot.

Though I have yet to see a permanent solution, I was messing around with it again today and I did find a work-around that works every time for me.

Stipulations:
8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter (version 1, not 2)
Firmware v2.05
Controller: WiiU Pro Controller (it's what I use, haven't tested others, though I don't see why it would make a difference)

Work-around:

1. After cold booting the MisTer (either via the OSD or Power Switch)
  2. MiSter won't recognize the USB Adapter but controller is still synced
  3. Hold "Select + D-Right" for 3 seconds on the gamepad to switch the USB adpater to MacOS mode
  4. Controller re-syncs and MiSter now recognizes the USB Adapter

The only problem is you have to do this every time you cold boot the MiSter. However, it's much more convenient than getting up to unplug/replug the adapter to kick it back in. IMHO anyways.

If there is a permanent solution I would be happy to hear that too.