This joystick is not defined

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
mario64

This joystick is not defined

Unread post by mario64 »

One of the recent updates has caused an annoying problem. Many games now pop-up a warning message "This joystick is not defined" even though it is and is actually working properly. And if you go into the core settings to try and map the joystick again you immediately get an error and can't continue. I've found that as soon as you click the option to map the joystick, you must immediately press right on the dpad to get past this error. It's like the cores are not recognizing the joystick definition from the Main menu anymore, at least intermittently.

Sorg, could you please take a look?
mario64

Re: This joystick is not defined

Unread post by mario64 »

No one else is experiencing this?
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Adding more details. I’ve discovered that this only happens on my MiSTer which has Blisster V2 installed. My other MiSTer with standard USB hub doesn’t do this. Any ideas as to why? I have no LLAPI devices connected to the Blisster ports nor am I using the LLAPI cores.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

Is this using the Blisster ports? It's possible Blisster presents a differet USB VID:PID depending on controller connected, or per port.
Otherwise try asking Blisster support for help.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

No this is using the regular USB ports. The problem turned out to be my wifi adapter. I'm using the recommended ASUS USB AC53 nano rev A1 model. No issues at all using the standard USB hub but when using Blisster you get this pop-up. I've got different adapters coming this week to see if it happens with all wifi adapters or just the Asus model.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

So today I tested an Archer T2U Nano (TP Link Mini AC600) and it does the exact same thing. Tomorrow I will try the Edimax EW-7822ULC. If it does it too then I don't know what else to try. There's something in MiSTer code which causes this when wifi adapters are connected to a Blisster USB port.
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

I've had similar issues when using an unpowered USB hub. What power supply are you using? If it's the base one (that came with t he board), you can try using 2 different power supplies for the Blisster and the DE10 and see if it's any better.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

I’m using a 5v 4a psu
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

I give up. Edimax adapter does the same thing. Guess I'll just get rid of the Blisster and go back to standard USB hub
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

You should get some logs of the input devices in the menu core and see if there is a difference between the Blisster and standard USB hub.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

paulbnl wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:14 pm You should get some logs of the input devices in the menu core and see if there is a difference between the Blisster and standard USB hub.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never used core logging in MiSTer. How do you enable it?
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Connect a usb cable to the UART port and connect with Putty to the com port as described here https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... connection.

If there are no inputs then the console will stay empty. Disconnect and connect a usb device to trigger the input devices listing.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

paulbnl wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:25 pm Connect a usb cable to the UART port and connect with Putty to the com port as described here https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... connection.

If there are no inputs then the console will stay empty. Disconnect and connect a usb device to trigger the input devices listing.
Excellent thank you very much
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Unread post by Sorgelig »

de10-nano has not so good USB host controller having issues with some devices. Sometimes issue may happen only when several specific devices connected together.
For maximum compatibility i suggest official USB hub. It's simple and without any integrated devices, so more chances to get it working by changing port on hub.
mario64

Unread post by mario64 »

Sorgelig wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:16 pm de10-nano has not so good USB host controller having issues with some devices. Sometimes issue may happen only when several specific devices connected together.
For maximum compatibility i suggest official USB hub. It's simple and without any integrated devices, so more chances to get it working by changing port on hub.
Thank you Sorg.