JPAC Dual Xinput no longer supports Player 2

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
INGUES

JPAC Dual Xinput no longer supports Player 2

Unread post by INGUES »

Hello,

I have my Mister hooked up to a JPAC in my arcade and have been able to use it for both Player 1 and Player 2 in Dual Xinput mode (Mode 3) successfully until now. At some point between end of May and now the 2 Player compatibility stopped working and now the Player 2 side only controls Player 1 (both sides are now Player 1). I've done everything I can think of to resolve this including a complete rebuild of the SD card and redefining the inputs. No matter what I do the Dual Xinput still only recognizes Player 1 on both sides.

I know that there is now a way to set up the JPAC on the Mister in Keyboard mode based on this link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=448

I've tried this, but the problem is that even when I switch the mode on my JPAC to Keyboard (Mode 1), the Mister does not provide me with the VID/PID. I've reached out to Ultimarc and obtained the VID/PID for my JPAC model but even with them defined in the INI the Mister does not recognize any inputs from my JPAC in Mode 1 - Keyboard.

I believe that when the new code was added to support older JPAC's in Keyboard mode it might have taken away my ability to use my newer JPAC model (2019 version) in Dual Xinput Mode for Player 2.

Has anyone else ran across this issue and know how to resolve it or know if it's a known issue that's being worked on? I'm happy to provide additional details of my setup.

Thank you for your time!
rhester72
Top Contributor

Re: JPAC Dual Xinput no longer supports Player 2

Unread post by rhester72 »

INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

Thank you for the link! I'm concerned about this comment:

"Perhaps something changed, but even iPAC users have this problem - a single device can only have one set of directional inputs. This was sometime around the press-A-to-activate-controller change happening, I'm afraid I don't have specifics, but I think this was a knock-on effect of another change that the author indicated would not be reverted."

Specifically the " but I think this was a knock-on effect of another change that the author indicated would not be reverted."

So they're not going to fix it? That's upsetting since the only workaround that's out there won't even work for me in keyboard mode.
rhester72
Top Contributor

The explanation for the change directly by the author is here:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... -668906466

and the reason he gave in a forum thread that it won't be reverted is that it will simply go back to breaking other devices that misuse the uniq field.
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

I'm not suggesting that it be reverted but right now we have a rob peter to pay paul situation. We fixed an issue for some and broke it for others.
rhester72
Top Contributor

The _right_ solution, as I see it, is for MiSTer to stop associating devices to players 1:1. No other system does that.
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

I agree completely.
rhester72
Top Contributor

That would also offer the flexibility to have some controls be joystick and others be keyboard, for example...and there's a lot of good cases for that (hello, Colecovision!)
suverman

Unread post by suverman »

rhester72 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:37 pm The _right_ solution, as I see it, is for MiSTer to stop associating devices to players 1:1. No other system does that.
Associating 1:1 allows the second joystick to run without mapping it again. It's very important imo. I dont know why JPAC cannot work but if it a must, then someone needs to design some open source mister based JAMMA device that work? Antonio Vilena has a JAMMA adaptor afaik.
rhester72
Top Contributor

It's not just a JPAC problem. As I understand it, pretty much every fight stick in the world has this problem right now.

Again, how does every other emulator on the planet solve the P2 problem?
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

INGUES wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:06 pm I have my Mister hooked up to a JPAC in my arcade and have been able to use it for both Player 1 and Player 2 in Dual Xinput mode (Mode 3) successfully until now. At some point between end of May and now the 2 Player compatibility stopped working and now the Player 2 side only controls Player 1 (both sides are now Player 1).
What is the VID / PID of your JPAC in Dual Xinput mode as reported by Mister?
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

paulbnl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:59 am
INGUES wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:06 pm I have my Mister hooked up to a JPAC in my arcade and have been able to use it for both Player 1 and Player 2 in Dual Xinput mode (Mode 3) successfully until now. At some point between end of May and now the 2 Player compatibility stopped working and now the Player 2 side only controls Player 1 (both sides are now Player 1).
What is the VID / PID of your JPAC in Dual Xinput mode as reported by Mister?
In Dual Xinput mode the JPAC provides the following VID / PID in the Mister:

Joystick ID: 045e:028e
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

INGUES wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:41 pm In Dual Xinput mode the JPAC provides the following VID / PID in the Mister:

Thanks. Does it work with this Mister file?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jBobZN ... sp=sharing
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

paulbnl wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:17 pm
INGUES wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:41 pm In Dual Xinput mode the JPAC provides the following VID / PID in the Mister:

Thanks. Does it work with this Mister file?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jBobZN ... sp=sharing
I tested this on NeoGeo and CPS1 games and it worked perfectly. Thank you! How did you fix it?
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

INGUES wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:35 pm I tested this on NeoGeo and CPS1 games and it worked perfectly. Thank you! How did you fix it?
I disabled input merging for that VID/PID. Apparently the merging code has changed recently and it now merges the JPAC dual X-inputs into one. Many other devices use that Xbox360 VID/PID so I don't know if merging can be disabled by default for those.

The next release will have new settings no_merge_vid & no_merge_pid in Mister.ini which can be used to disable merging for any VID/PID.
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

paulbnl wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:02 pm
INGUES wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:35 pm I tested this on NeoGeo and CPS1 games and it worked perfectly. Thank you! How did you fix it?
I disabled input merging for that VID/PID. Apparently the merging code has changed recently and it now merges the JPAC dual X-inputs into one. Many other devices use that Xbox360 VID/PID so I don't know if merging can be disabled by default for those.

The next release will have new settings no_merge_vid & no_merge_pid in Mister.ini which can be used to disable merging for any VID/PID.
That's excellent, I'm glad that a permanent solution has been implemented. Is there a timeline for the next release? I want to avoid running any update scripts until this is live, especially since the primary games that I use the Mister for are now working for me.
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

paulbnl wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:02 pm

Hello,

Was this included on the 08/21 Main update? I'm not seeing these new VID/PID merge options on the ini file that's out on github. This is where I'm checking:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini
paulbnl
Core Developer

Unread post by paulbnl »

Yes it is included in the update but MiSTer.ini hasn't been updated yet. You can add the settings, remove the semicolons and it should work.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... /284/files
INGUES

Unread post by INGUES »

paulbnl wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:24 pm Yes it is included in the update but MiSTer.ini hasn't been updated yet. You can add the settings, remove the semicolons and it should work.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... /284/files
That did the trick! Thank you again for getting this implemented.
Morfious

Unread post by Morfious »

Does this new fix allow for changing of the second player buttons/remap? Particularly looking to play Robotron correctly.