DS4 vs 8bitdo vs Blisster vs Other

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
enigmo

DS4 vs 8bitdo vs Blisster vs Other

Unread post by enigmo »

Another beginner question. I've got half the bits I need, but I've not ordered either a Blisster or a USB hub yet as I've been researching. I am also swimming in controllers.
With faster USB polling, is there any point in the Blisster? I don't mind dropping the cash if it's really worth it, but if a wired DS4 or DS3, or as I've been reading, the rather popular 8bitdo 2.4 M30 controller is good enough and I don't already have a Blissbox or the Bliss cables, is the improvement worth the cost? I've also got a USB ended XBox 360 controller and a load of others either natively USB or have USB adaptors so I'm not short of options.
Lemonici

Re: DS4 vs 8bitdo vs Blisster vs Other

Unread post by Lemonici »

It depends on you. MisterAddons has done a number of tests and found that several controllers have <3ms of latency. That doesn't mean there will be a 3ms delay since the screen only refreshes every 16.66ms. Instead, you have an 82% chance of getting the same frame as a 0 latency solution and an 18% chance of the change being applied to the following frame. Frames are very short and there's a good chance you won't notice (try looking up 600 BPM on YouTube, each tick represents 6 frames). My recommendation is for you to buy a low-latency controller on Amazon and see if it fits the bill. If it doesn't, return the controller and move forward with the BliSTer. Just make sure you've eliminated lag from other sources before concluding that your controller is the culprit

Latency tests:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... p=drivesdk
onaryc

Unread post by onaryc »

Personally, i was planning to buy a low latency adapter (blisster, ...) but with the fast usb polling and a good usb controller (the m30 db9 is just perfect, i also have the 1st version of the 8bitdo snes controller) i think these solutions are obsolete, i can not notice any lag. Furthermore, the blisster will never be officially supported, which is problematic imo.

I think i will just buy a snac board at some point, and i have ordered everything to build a cheap but very effective usb adapter for native controller (https://github.com/MickGyver/DaemonBite ... ollers-USB)
enigmo

Unread post by enigmo »

Thanks all. I've just opted for the official USB hub and an 8bitdo M30. I doubt I'll notice the difference, but as I don't have a case and likely won't do for months, I can always chop and change later if I feel like the experiment.
Murderface1982

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

Kinda of in the same boat here... I keep getting conflicting information here on input devices. I thought 2.4ghz was supposed to work better over wired? But now I'm seeing information talking about the retrobit wired saturn which conflicts with the polling data...

Thoughts here anyone? I play fighting games so input lag is an issue for me.
MisterAddons

Unread post by MisterAddons »

If you're not going with a fight stick, I would recommend either of the 8BitDo M30 2.4 GHz modeled over wired USB, or a Hori Fighting Commander 4 for 6 button pads. Obviously something like a Brook UFB would be great if you want a fightstick.
Owner of www.misteraddons.com and www.misterfpga.com
Electrical engineer with an unhealthy interest in CRTs, classic gaming, and learning
Also, Big Trouble in Little China