HDMI to Component (for old JVC CRT TV)

eightbit

HDMI to Component (for old JVC CRT TV)

Unread post by eightbit »

So this weekend I scored a pretty nice working 32inch JVC CRT TV circa 2003. It has component connections which I have tested with a component ready DVD player and the picture looks great.

Now time to get my MiSTer to it. I am aware of the ini settings that will need to be changed, not a problem. But I am curious as to what adapter or cable to buy. I have the digital IO board that does NOT have the VGA port, so I must use the DE10-NANO's HDMI for direct video....which I hear is not a problem.

I was looking at this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PM ... XLVF&psc=1

Will this work? Or does anyone have another recommendation that they have tested working fine for HDMI to Component to an old TV?

Any help is appreciated!

akeley

Re: HDMI to Component (for old JVC CRT TV)

Unread post by akeley »

Wiki says to use HDMI-VGA converter, not HDMI-Component. Maybe it will work, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

When looking for my HDMI-VGA DAC I typed in the search the name of the recommended chip - AG6200...just to be on the safe side.

Then you'll need an appropriately modded cable, check the wiki for details.

amadama

Unread post by amadama »

I use the I/O board for component output but on a whim I tried out the following HDMI to Component adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HT11MH

It displays a picture but the colors are off, kind of greenish. With ypbpr settings on ini to 0, it gives better colors but I get a rolling picture.

Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Have you tried flipping the SOG switch?

amadama

Unread post by amadama »

Sigismond0 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:14 pm
Have you tried flipping the SOG switch?
The SOG switch is for the I/O board. I was testing direct_video via the HDMI output.

Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Gotcha. Probably the same issue though. When using a VGA adapter, you have to do a mod to the adapter to enable SoG through it, so you might need to do something similar for the component cable.

eightbit

I went ahead and ordered that adapter I linked in the beginning of this thread and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow. No skin off my nose if it does not work as I can always return it. I am just curious to see if it actually works. I will update with my results.

EDIT: And, it didn't work ;) I didn't expect it to and have the Rankie HDMI to VGA on order along with VGA to component cable, but I was curious and wanted to see what happens. Well, now we all know ;)

amadama

Unread post by amadama »

Which component cable did you order?

eightbit

amadama wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 am
Which component cable did you order?

I ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZM ... UTF8&psc=1

and this (as a comment in the reviews from someone specifically called out that it worked with the MiSTer....more people should do that!):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F3 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am fairly certain this combo will work as I have seen many reported that the Rankie adapter is compatible. I spent a lot of time in forum threads before ordering these as I want to make sure I get it right and move on with using this on a CRT. Pretty excited about that!

amadama

Unread post by amadama »

I have those same exact items for my Mister. The HDMI to VGA adapter I use for hooking up to a Dell 2001fp monitor and the cable I use for my I/O board to go to a Component input on a TV. Hope you can get the combination to work for HDMI-Component.