Why does YPbPr look extremely blue? External RGBHV to Component looks fine? (pictures inside)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
sofakng

Why does YPbPr look extremely blue? External RGBHV to Component looks fine? (pictures inside)

Unread post by sofakng »

I'm using an I/O board v6.1 and I'm trying to use YPbPr but the picture is extremely blue on my CRT TV.

I've purchased a VGA 15-pin to 3 RCA cable from Amazon and I've enabled [ypbpr=1] in the MiSTer.ini file. I also had to set the SOG switch to [ON], but this is the picture:

LtISON5m.jpg
LtISON5m.jpg (10.06 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

However, if I disable YPbPr and use a standard VGA cable with my external RGBHV to Component transcoder the picture looks fine:

LGMnxbCm.jpg
LGMnxbCm.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

What could be causing this? The VGA to 3-RCA cable has no resistors and is wired simply: 1 -> Red, 2 -> Green, 3 -> Blue.
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Why does YPbPr look extremely blue? External RGBHV to Component looks fine? (pictures inside)

Unread post by aberu »

(nvm just reread your comment again and noticed i missed that you already changed the mister.ini option, edited out that bit)

The jumper for the VGA port is it set to 3.3v or 5v or is it not set to either? I think sorgelig suggests by default that jumper to be clear if you are doing YPbPr, but can't remember completely.

To compare, i use one of these cables and everything works fine on my end: https://misteraddons.com/products/vga-t ... pbpr-cable
birdybro~
ExCyber

Re: Why does YPbPr look extremely blue? External RGBHV to Component looks fine? (pictures inside)

Unread post by ExCyber »

Maybe the Pb signal is shorted to ground in the cable? I don't have any specific experience with such a failure, but it seems plausible from some napkin algebra:

Code: Select all

Pb = B - Y
 0  = B - Y
+Y       +Y
 Y  = B
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

aberu wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:47 pmThe jumper for the VGA port is it set to 3.3v or 5v or is it not set to either? I think sorgelig suggests by default that jumper to be clear if you are doing YPbPr, but can't remember completely.
The jumper isn't populated.

EDIT: The MisterAddons cable looks really nice and thick. The one from Amazon is pretty thin... MisterAddons looks like this Monoprice cable.
ExCyber wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:50 pm Maybe the Pb signal is shorted to ground in the cable? I don't have any specific experience with such a failure, but it seems plausible from some napkin algebra:
I just checked with my meter and blue (Pb) isn't shorted to ground. :(
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

I figured out the problem. It was bad solder joints. It's working perfectly now and I'm really sorry for posting this, but hopefully if somebody else has the same problem they will know it's most likely solder-related.