Default scanlines on for all cores

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
netbeui

Default scanlines on for all cores

Unread post by netbeui »

Hi I searched the wiki and forums but can’t find a solution for this. Is there a way to enable scanlines for all cores that support them? Every time I boot an arcade core or console core, etc I’m going into the menu and turning them on, just wondering if there’s a way to have them enabled by default. Thanks!
NightShadowPT

Re: Default scanlines on for all cores

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

They should save your selection after the first time, so you shouldn't have to turn them on each time.

Also, different cores look better with different scanline types, so you'll always get the best result if you adjust them individually the first time.

Cheers,
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The vertically orientated cores usually have some trouble with the vertical scanlines, even with integer scaling.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:57 am The vertically orientated cores usually have some trouble with the vertical scanlines, even with integer scaling.
I wonder if the matlab formulas used for creating the vertical scanline filters need to be adjusted.
birdybro~
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

NightShadowPT wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:00 am They should save your selection after the first time, so you shouldn't have to turn them on each time.

Also, different cores look better with different scanline types, so you'll always get the best result if you adjust them individually the first time.

Cheers,
Looks like MiSTer isn't saving my settings. For example I launch Donkey Kong, press the menu button, switch scanlines to CRT 50% then launch the Dig Dug core, press the menu button, switch scanlines to 50%, when I go back to Donkey Kong the scanlines are gone and it's back to the default no scanlines. Same thing for Dig Dug.

Any idea why my settings aren't being saved?
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

aberu wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:28 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:57 am The vertically orientated cores usually have some trouble with the vertical scanlines, even with integer scaling.
I wonder if the matlab formulas used for creating the vertical scanline filters need to be adjusted.
The challenge is that there's no concept of horizontal integer scaling - all integer scales consider vertical counts only (and then non-integer scale the horizontal to meet 4:3 or 16:9 requirements accordingly). You'd need an exclusive hscale_mode (that could not coexist with vscale_mode) that does the opposite of how it currently works.
12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

netbeui wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:44 pm Looks like MiSTer isn't saving my settings. For example I launch Donkey Kong, press the menu button, switch scanlines to CRT 50% then launch the Dig Dug core, press the menu button, switch scanlines to 50%, when I go back to Donkey Kong the scanlines are gone and it's back to the default no scanlines. Same thing for Dig Dug.

Did you select "Save settings" in the menu before launching another core?
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

12characters wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:09 pm
netbeui wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:44 pm Looks like MiSTer isn't saving my settings. For example I launch Donkey Kong, press the menu button, switch scanlines to CRT 50% then launch the Dig Dug core, press the menu button, switch scanlines to 50%, when I go back to Donkey Kong the scanlines are gone and it's back to the default no scanlines. Same thing for Dig Dug.

Did you select "Save settings" in the menu before launching another core?
OMG I don't know how I missed that but thank you for pointing me there!! This 52 year old brain isn't as sharp as it used to be :cry:
It works perfectly now that I'm saving my settings
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

rhester72 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:17 pm
aberu wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:28 pm
The challenge is that there's no concept of horizontal integer scaling - all integer scales consider vertical counts only (and then non-integer scale the horizontal to meet 4:3 or 16:9 requirements accordingly). You'd need an exclusive hscale_mode (that could not coexist with vscale_mode) that does the opposite of how it currently works.
I figured it would be something like that. Maybe add an extra integer scaling mode for the vertical orientation.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

netbeui wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:44 pm
NightShadowPT wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:00 am They should save your selection after the first time, so you shouldn't have to turn them on each time.

Cheers,
Looks like MiSTer isn't saving my settings. For example I launch Donkey Kong, press the menu button, switch scanlines to CRT 50% then launch the Dig Dug core, press the menu button, switch scanlines to 50%, when I go back to Donkey Kong the scanlines are gone and it's back to the default no scanlines. Same thing for Dig Dug.

There a Save and a Reset settings option for each core. Are you clicking on that save settings option (it should be on the same page of the menu as the filters for each core.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
SuperBabyHix

Unread post by SuperBabyHix »

There is an option in the mister.ini file for default video and audio filter. If any core does not already have a filter set for it, it will use the default.

example:
vfilter_default=LCD Effects/LCD_Effect_07.txt
afilter_default=LPF2000_3tap.txt
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

I have my main ini set up nicely for 5x scaling and everything looks crisp with nice scanlines. I now want an alternate ini which will create a smaller display size with borders. This works fine but I want to change the filters for each core.

I have tried this but it doesn't change anything
[SNES]
vfilter_default=Hi Res Core Filters/2x_Scanlines_30.txt

I don't know where I am going wrong. Thanks
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Aspie wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:23 am I have my main ini set up nicely for 5x scaling and everything looks crisp with nice scanlines. I now want an alternate ini which will create a smaller display size with borders. This works fine but I want to change the filters for each core.

I have tried this but it doesn't change anything
[SNES]
vfilter_default=Hi Res Core Filters/2x_Scanlines_30.txt

I don't know where I am going wrong. Thanks
I am not sure the vfilter_default parameter is meant as core specific.
From how I read the comments in the ini this line defines the filter that is used regardless of core settings
I think it can't be used core specific, because the core specific filter has to be picked from the core menu.
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

That parameter CAN be used core specific, but it requires you have no saved scaler settings for that core.

In other words, if you have a /media/fat/config/SNES_scaler.cfg file, it will not load vfilter_default, but use the 'saved' one. Note that 'no filter' is still a 'saved' filter.

edit: it looks like there is some condition where the file can exist and the 'default' filter is still used, but I can't actually get that condition to trigger for any of the cores I tried. Maybe some specific option in the audio/video menu, not sure.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

So if I turn off the filters in the core menu and set it back to 'internal' the core will load the filters I set in the ini?
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Yes I can't get it to work either. I tried deleting the scaler cfg but it still won't load the filter I set in the ini file
breiztiger
Top Contributor

Unread post by breiztiger »

some core does'nt seem to respect sorgelig framework and don't use default fliter
CPC-Power Staff
zakk4223

Unread post by zakk4223 »

Works fine here. Delete /media/fat/config/SNES_scaler.cfg
Set this in MiSTer.ini
[SNES]
vfilter_default=Composite Blend/Comp_Blend_H_100.txt

Next time you load SNES core it should be using that filter, and that filter will be listed as the active filter in the OSD.

Make sure the SNES section is after the main [MiSTer] section, especially if your Mister section already has a vfilter_default value
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Aspie wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:07 pm Yes I can't get it to work either. I tried deleting the scaler cfg but it still won't load the filter I set in the ini file
Why don't you just select a filter from the core menu and save the core settings? I have the default filter in my MiSTer.ini in the non core specific part of the file and it defaults to this filter unless I choose a filter in the core and save the settings. Then the filter I chose in the core menu is selected when I load the core.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Still can't get it to work. I deleted the SNES_scaler.cfg. I added in ini file with the vfiler_default settings. Now when I go to the SNES core menu it reads:

Scale Filter - Custom
< none >

And when I change to my alt ini which I set to a different scaler it also reads

Scale Filter - Custom
< none >
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Thanks Chris23235. I set a default vfilter value in the main core section. Then I set the scanlines for main ini and a different value for alt ini. It works perfect now