Questions About VGA to BNC Cable and RGB Output

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
misterpapa

Questions About VGA to BNC Cable and RGB Output

Unread post by misterpapa »

Hello,

I am little confused about RGB and YPbPr output, so I hope someone can help me.

I bought an Extron 6FT SYM BNCM VGA TO 5BNC cable. I have assembled a full mister setup with the additional daughter boards.

When I connected the cable to the PVM monitor I can see the colors are wrong, as if there is no green color.
So I set the ypbpr = 1 setting in the Mister.ini config file and the colors seems fine now.

My questions are:

This seems very obvious but is this a Component (YPbPr) cable? And if it is, where can I get a VGA to RGB BNC cable?
Should I need to buy a VGA to RGB Scart cable like the one from retro-access or ultimate mister?

And would I get better picture quality with an RGB cable?

Best.

jlancaster86

Re: Questions About VGA to BNC Cable and RGB Output

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

It's just a passive cable—the cable itself doesn't care what type of signal you're putting through it. It sounds like your PVM is set to expect YPbPr, so that's why the colours are all wrong when you send an RGB signal to it (that, or there's some other error, like the SoG switch being set incorrectly).

There shouldn't be any real quality difference between RGB and YPbPr, so just use whatever works best in your setup.