PVM screen geometry changing between cores.

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Slartibartfast

PVM screen geometry changing between cores.

Unread post by Slartibartfast »

So I just took the plunge and spent too much money on a Sony PVM (20M2MDU), after messing around in the service menu with the 240p Test Suite I think I have it dialed in "ok". So here's the thing, as I move between cores (SNES to Neo-Geo, or CPS1 SFII) the screen shifts or zooms in cutting off one side or the other (both) etc. Maybe 10-30 pixels. Is that normal?

I know some cores have H-sync / V-sync settings (but not size), so is the discrepancy in geometry to be expected with a PMV/CRT when moving between H-sync/resolutions?

If it's normal, and not an issue with my PVM, can it be compensated for with a video_mode= option per core?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. If there is a better sub forum or site to discuss MiSTer on CRTs let me know.
KnC

Re: PVM screen geometry changing between cores.

Unread post by KnC »

no idea what is normal on PVM/CRT
But you can do per core settings https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... c-settings
Peaceism

Unread post by Peaceism »

Yes it's normal. I like to find the perfect settings for each console and write them down in Notepad or something. It's always just a few changes to vertical and horizontal position so it's pretty quick and simple.
Slartibartfast

Unread post by Slartibartfast »

Thanks for the replies.

So if I understand the arguments, a video mode of: video_mode=512,42,62,64,224,11,21,6,10689 for example.

Decodes into:

video_mode=hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz

Horizontal active
Horizontal Front Porch
Horizontal Synch
Horizontal Back Porch

Vertical Active
Vertical Front Porch
Vertical Synch
Vertical Back Porch

Pixel clock frequency in KHz

Where can I find the default video_mode a given core uses, so I have a starting point to tweak from?