Optical/Toslink audio not working with arcade cores

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Fed

Optical/Toslink audio not working with arcade cores

Unread post by Fed »

Does anybody know why audio output through Optical/Toslink is not correctly functioning for arcade cores while it works absolutely fine with console cores ?
grizzly

Re: Optical/Toslink audio not working with arcade cores

Unread post by grizzly »

What arcade cores?
OR ALL arcade cores?
And i guess that you use an digital io board?

Digital io board and toslink works fine for me on the few arcade cores i have tried so far, 1942/1943/pacman/and 4-5 more or less random other cores just too test (so cant remember which ones).
Fed

Unread post by Fed »

Give the Capcom cores a try
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

1942 and 1943 is capcom (not cps1 tough).
But maybe you meant CPS1 games?
I tried 1941 got sound trough toslink but no picture (but have noticed that when vsync_adjust=2 some arcade cores flicker/scrolling/etc a bit when using any 2x or scanline mode but works fine when vsync_adjust=1).
Also that the flicker/etc is a bit less when set to dvi_mode=1 (no sound through the hdmi, could be that it is less bandwidth trough the hdmi cable in dvi mode since no sound and therefore works better).

Anyway did not try vsync set to 1 or 0 since it was only a sound test.

Ghouls'n Ghosts worked fine both video and audio.

So again which cores/games or ALL give you no sound?

If i remember right the CPS1 core is not officially released yet right?
And also pretty sure i read about some non official cores did have toslink trouble/did not work at all in toslink/optical mode.

All in all i have not played around with arcade cores much at all, mostly focused on console and amiga so far.
And then mostly on the cd consoles and gone trough what games i want on sd card or not because the size.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

Hi,

I'm using the optical output with no problem with the CPS 1. (using the "update-all" script)

Actually I couldn't find a single core which would not support it.

I don't have the official IOBoard though, but Antonio Villena's version.

cheers
Fed

Unread post by Fed »

Interesting, mine comes from ultimatemister...
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Mine is MiSTer Digital IO Board v1.2 from misterfpga, which should be the same as ultimatemisters.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Also what amp/headphone/dac do you plug the toslink into and have you tried more then one device?
Remember reading (can not remember if it was about mister though) that some amp/dac can have problems with some sources.

Do not now how the mister does the optical, does it have the exact same samplerate sent trough the toslink and so on for everything it plays and not for example 44254 instead of 44100.
kinda how it does for hdmi out when using vsync_adjust=2 or vsync_adjust=1 0 do match the hdmi spec perfectly (and therefore should work fine on everything), 1 can go a bit out of spec and 2 even more for example for 60hz it could be 61,23hz instead.

Maybe the vsync_adjust is tied to the toslink in some way (speculation on my part here), since it would be hard to get sync/no audio skip/cuts othervise.
So i would try changing vsync_adjust go down to 1 or 0 and try, only takes a couple of minutes and if it work it works, if not you wasted 3min.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

From looking at the schematics and reading posts on the AT forum, I was under the impression that digital IO was straight from the GPIO, and analog audio was a translation via a Sigma-Delta DAC.

I would guess that it would be an incompatibility with the digital signal and any device receiving the signal (amp, TV, etc.).
P207

Unread post by P207 »

Greetings,

I'm a total noob and I was searching the forums about an issue that's like the issue reported in this thread, so maybe related. Or maybe not.

I do also own a mister with a digital i/o board assembled by ultimatemister (1). I do also have issues with sound in the arcade cores, through HDMI, ***in one monitor***. If I plug the mister on two other old tv sets I have, sound works. It also works for the other cores on that monitor, using sometimes a simple workaround I've found.(2)

I am under the assumption there's some software setting that changes when plugging the mister to a monitor (which should be normal) and keeps that one monitor from playing any sound from the arcade cores. Or even maybe that the i/o board does not receive "sound input" from the core to pass to the hdmi or toslink outputs. I have no way to check toslink output.

I dunno if this helps.

(1) If the box is assembled by a guy who's done it a thousand times, and I get sound from other devices, I guess the cause of the issue I'm having cannot be my clumsiness. :?
(2) When I get no sound, I go to the ZX Spectrum core and reset it. I get the sound back at once. That's why I think my issue is software related.