Freesync?

deepthaw

Freesync?

Unread post by deepthaw »

Do freesync monitors work with MiSTer?

okay I need more words.

Freesync monitors are modern LCD/OLED/whatever displays that can run at a range of refresh rates similar to the CRTs we all love and adore. I have one on my main PC that'll do 45-75.

I know a lot of arcade games had weird refresh rates and didn't know if this would be compatible.
grizzly

Re: Freesync?

Unread post by grizzly »

The monitor would work yes but without using any free/adaptive/G/sync.
Before i bought my mister in july and some months before that i read around that many thought that any sync monitor would be better since they probably would handle strange/slightly sync/refresh rates better.

And i already had a AOC ag271qg (1440p165hz gsync) and thought perfect.
But i can not get anything higher then 1080p to work at all and i really want 1440p since it scale better with integer scaling (a bit bigger picture then 1080p).
aberu

Unread post by aberu »

grizzly wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:08 pm But i can not get anything higher then 1080p to work at all and i really want 1440p since it scale better with integer scaling (a bit bigger picture then 1080p).
When you say it wasn't working, what do you mean specifically? No image or a stretched image? If the image is stretched or not sized correctly, you need to either adjust the settings on your monitor's control panel or something may be off in the custom resolution you would have to set for 1440p (https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-1440p-1 ... aling.html).
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

I mean no picture at all.
Tried every modline i can find online, tried my own modline calculated from the monitors extracted EDID data, but nothing over 1080p gives any picture.
justaguy

Unread post by justaguy »

I have a FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible monitor (LG 27GL83A-B) and it's worked fine with MiSTer at 1920x1440, with or without Adaptive Sync enabled. It does drop out for a second or two after starting up a game with vsync_adjust=2 enabled, presumably due to the refresh rate switch. It would be nice if more cores offered a "Sync core to video" option like the GBA core, I don't get the dropouts when launching GBA games with that enabled and the minuscule speed difference doesn't bother me.
deepthaw

justaguy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:31 pm I have a FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible monitor (LG 27GL83A-B) and it's worked fine with MiSTer at 1920x1440, with or without Adaptive Sync enabled. It does drop out for a second or two after starting up a game with vsync_adjust=2 enabled, presumably due to the refresh rate switch. It would be nice if more cores offered a "Sync core to video" option like the GBA core, I don't get the dropouts when launching GBA games with that enabled and the minuscule speed difference doesn't bother me.
Okay - had the time today to actually plug a MiSTer into a Freesync monitor, and gloriously it appears the adaptive frame rate matching seems to work.

It's an Acer SB220Q, 1920x1080. Supports FreeSync. It has an option to display the current frame rate as on overlay, which I turned on.

Most games displayed the expected 60fps, I switched to Neo-Geo and it displayed 59fps. Jumped to Megadrive/Genesis and loaded up Gods and Chaos engine. After switching the region to PAL, got 50fps. Did the same for Super Turrican on PAL NES. 50fps.

Displayed with no tearing or other issues every time. vsync adjust is set to 2, which is low lag.

Later tonight I'll do some display lag testing with crts I have as a comparison.

TLDR; freesync works great
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

That is great news! Since the monitor is listed with a max of 75hz, I am curious about 70hz DOS games displaying smoothly.
rhester72

Unread post by rhester72 »

justaguy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:31 pm I have a FreeSync/G-Sync Compatible monitor (LG 27GL83A-B) and it's worked fine with MiSTer at 1920x1440, with or without Adaptive Sync enabled. It does drop out for a second or two after starting up a game with vsync_adjust=2 enabled, presumably due to the refresh rate switch. It would be nice if more cores offered a "Sync core to video" option like the GBA core, I don't get the dropouts when launching GBA games with that enabled and the minuscule speed difference doesn't bother me.
Try vsync_adjust=1, I think you'll like it
Newsdee

Unread post by Newsdee »

It seems to work on my TV with freesync on... if I add that plus game mode and switch off all processing options, and vsync_adjust=2, then I get roughly 2.5-3 frames of lag compared to my CRT (measured by taking a picture of my CRT next to my LCD TV using the 240p test suite).

That's much better than the 6-7 frames of lag I got originally before I tried to optimize anything.
deepthaw

Did some display lag testing - 240p test suite NTSC shows less than one frame of display lag when running with low lag mode.

Also tested out lunar lander which I understand has a weird refresh rate and won't display on my CRT. Ran flawlessly. (I assume the flickering was part of the vector display.)

I also took a slowmo video of it dropping to 50hz to run the PAL 240p test suite. Once again my CRT wouldn't display it, but the slowmo indicated no tearing whatsoever.