Unable to capture HDMI video through capture card

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
ShadowsTakeFall

Unable to capture HDMI video through capture card

Unread post by ShadowsTakeFall »

Hello,

I recently acquired a setup with help from some friends however I'm currently stuck with no idea how to proceed. I currently have a MiSTer that successfully does everything it should when connected up to a 1080p display through HDMI however when going through the internal capture card on my PC, I'm given what is seen in the attached image. The capture card I use is the Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2 and either through RECentral 4 or OBS, I get nothing but this colorful screen.

I was advised to set the following on my board under ini settings:

Video_mode 1080p60
Vsync_adjust Low lag
Vscale_mode Use integer scale only

I hope that the picture will give some indication as to where I should be looking, also I can confirm that I am only having issues with capturing video as the audio seems to come through okay. I used the pass-through on my capture card to ensure that the board was outputting an actual signal. Any help is greatly appreciated. I did try to search the forums but was unable to find
Attachments
capturecard.png
capturecard.png (297.32 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Re: Unable to capture HDMI video through capture card

Unread post by Newsdee »

Try vsync_adjust=0 first for maximum compatibility.
ShadowsTakeFall

Dont seem to be having any luck with changing to either mode 0 1 or 2 for that setting. I did find documentation on those and that it notes that theres less and less compatibility for modes 1 and 2, however I started to run into issues where my pass through monitor was getting the pink tinted screen I've seen some posts referencing.
rafael

Unread post by rafael »

I have another model of Avermedia's capture cards and I had an issue with the signal not being picked up by either OBS nor Avermedia's streaming software. Turns out I had the hdmi_audio_96k set to 1. When I switched it off it worked. Maybe you can give it a try.
ShadowsTakeFall

Sadly hdmi_audio_96k is set to off, i did try with it on and no difference.

I'm going to list the full settings of my ini settings, maybe theres something else that could be problematic. as a side note I have tested the hdmi cable with my nintendo switch and can confirm it captures that signal fine.

video_mode 1080p60
video_mode_ntsc 1080p60
video_mode_pal 1080p50
vsync_adjust match display freq
vscale_mode integer scale only
fb_size automatic

all other settings are default/off/not set

I've found a new symptom of my capture card but its hard to explain. I pulled the HDMI from the switch and inserted it back into the MiSTer and a still from the previous capture is there. I dont know if this is typical for it to buffer an image or what, but its currently showing my switch screen.
zaphoduk

Unread post by zaphoduk »

I'm having a similar issue however im using Razer Ripsaw HD as my capture device and i just get a black screen (no image at all) in the preview in OBS. I too have tried the various buffer sync (0,1,2) to no avail. Also 96k audio is set to off. Did you ever get this resolved?
NerdyNester

Unread post by NerdyNester »

Hi there,

I too was having capturing issues, but only with the Neo Geo core using an Elgato 4K60 Pro MK.2. It would not provide any capture video unless i was capturing through VGA component using my older capture card. However with the help from above and by applying one more step, I did get it working. I set vsync_adjust=1 and changed the values of these settings as well refresh_min=50.00 refresh_max=60.00. Doing so fixed my issue, and hopefully it can help you as well.