SCART is not SCART ?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
MoR33z

SCART is not SCART ?

Unread post by MoR33z »

Hi ALL,

I am having problems connecting my MiSTer to the SCART input of a Metz CRT-TV. I don't know what the problem is.
The same VGA-SCART cable works fine on my SONY CRT TV. When I connect the MiSTer to the Metz TV, I see nothing. All I see is a little flickering. I can see the menu very faintly.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: SCART is not SCART ?

Unread post by lamarax »

Metz? Was that a French brand? In that case you have to deal with SÉCAM, and I don't think that's supported by any core

Stupid post :P The brand is German, still exists to this day, and of course, if you bought the tv in your region it wouldn't be SÉCAM in the first place :oops:
MoR33z

Unread post by MoR33z »

No it's German -> Paul Metz
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

how old is your Metz CRT? Maybe it's a matter of different PAL B, D, G, H, K or I standards then (lol)

(most tv's in Europe were B/G back in the 90s, but then again Luxembourg for example, used the I standard I think? Anyway, it's madness with old CRT tv's)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL it's crazy when you read about it :)
MoR33z

Unread post by MoR33z »

If i connect my C64 to the SCART (S-VIDEO) i have a brilliant picture.
MoR33z

Unread post by MoR33z »

lamarax wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:52 pm how old is your Metz CRT? Maybe it's a matter of different PAL B, D, G, H, K or I standards then (lol)

(most tv's in Europe were B/G back in the 90s, but then again Luxembourg for example, used the I standard I think? Anyway, it's madness with old CRT tv's)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL it's crazy when you read about it :)
How crazy is that :shock:
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Didn't the C64 have a 5-pin DIN connector to discrete RGB (RCA type) plugs? It's been so long, lol :)
MoR33z

Unread post by MoR33z »

lamarax wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:21 pm Didn't the C64 have a 5-pin DIN connector to discrete RGB (RCA type) plugs? It's been so long, lol :)
I think that's way it works. C64 has no RGB ! S-VIDEO only ...
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Yeah I've mixed up my legacy computers. The BBC (my sweetheart), had this particular (DIN5 -> RGB) cable which made the display to awesomely sync, with the beebs glorious colours on an old Nordmende TV I had when I's 12. Memories, memories :)

I know I'm not much of a help to your problem, though as a fellow retrogamer I wish you good luck to using your TV!
MoR33z

Unread post by MoR33z »

lamarax wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:35 pm Yeah I've mixed up my legacy computers. The BBC (my sweetheart), had this particular (DIN5 -> RGB) cable which made the display to awesomely sync, with the beebs glorious colours on an old Nordmende TV I had when I's 12. Memories, memories :)

I know I'm not much of a help to your problem, though as a fellow retrogamer I wish you good luck to using your TV!
No problem. I hope i will find a solution ....
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

There could be a problem on the RGB pin, voltage is fine for the Trinitron but to low for the other on to switch to RGB or that port coulb be av only and not rgb (usually this si not the case with our EU tvs).

Do you have a multimeter?
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

Hmm are you sure your cable is actually SCART and your Sony TV is actually SCART?

there is a Japanese connector with the same plug that is not compatible.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Jap ... _connector
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Duffygag wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:02 pm There could be a problem on the RGB pin, voltage is fine for the Trinitron but to low for the other on to switch to RGB or that port coulb be av only and not rgb (usually this si not the case with our EU tvs).
This is most likely the reason. I get different results with MiSTer (and other FPGA boards) on different TVs, sometimes even within one brand (Trinitron).