The Result of My Search for a Great MiSTer Display

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
StrafeMcgee

Re: The Result of My Search for a Great MiSTer Display

Unread post by StrafeMcgee »

Hey folks.

Relatively new MISTer owner here. I'm messing about with setups at the moment, trying to find the settings that work best with my display. How is everyone else getting that wee pop-up showing the output resolution and refresh rate in the top left corner? Is it an ini setting that needs to be turned on?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Yes:
; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=0
AnotherAdam

Unread post by AnotherAdam »

I picked up this monitor last week (from Microcenter - they still have them available for a fairly decent price). It's been great for the mister and is introducing me to scanline filters, something I hadn't used before. There's a bit of light bleed on mine and it has that IPS "reflectiveness" in the dark areas, but for the price it's well worth it.

One thing I've noticed is that the Scenery mode makes the picture way too dark. The colors really pop, but you lose a lot of detail in dark scenes. I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the SNES. I'm directly comparing to my CRT. I didn't touch the contrast, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone else just use the Standard mode? I find it to be the better choice.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

AnotherAdam wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:55 pm I picked up this monitor last week (from Microcenter - they still have them available for a fairly decent price). It's been great for the mister and is introducing me to scanline filters, something I hadn't used before. There's a bit of light bleed on mine and it has that IPS "reflectiveness" in the dark areas, but for the price it's well worth it.

One thing I've noticed is that the Scenery mode makes the picture way too dark. The colors really pop, but you lose a lot of detail in dark scenes. I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the SNES. I'm directly comparing to my CRT. I didn't touch the contrast, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone else just use the Standard mode? I find it to be the better choice.
You're right; since I've posted my recommendation above, I grew wary of the 'scenery' preset and its dark blacks so to speak (which I was using along with the pure_gamma_115 filter).

I reverted to standard mode with Poly Gamma_2.7. Looks much more natural now :)
rian

Unread post by rian »

ProArt Asus Monitor for me is the best one I ordered from Amazon one and a half months ago for $445 and now I see it's selling for $402.11 the best choice I have made in the summer.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

rian wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 pm ProArt Asus Monitor for me is the best one I ordered from Amazon one and a half months ago for $445 and now I see it's selling for $402.11 the best choice I have made in the summer.
That's the 27'' right? Because $445 sounds a bit too high for the 24'' model. Unless you're talking AUS$ :mrgreen:
rian

Unread post by rian »

lamarax wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:27 pm
rian wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 pm ProArt Asus Monitor for me is the best one I ordered from Amazon one and a half months ago for $445 and now I see it's selling for $402.11 the best choice I have made in the summer.
That's the 27'' right? Because $445 sounds a bit too high for the 24'' model. Unless you're talking AUS$ :mrgreen:
Yes 27" :)
dazzer69

Unread post by dazzer69 »

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the latest main MiSTer, 20211010? I’ve just got round to updating and get no HDMI out. Reverting back to previous release fixes the problem. Very pleased with this monitor otherwise.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

From the Mister Discord, if you get the black screen and no HDMI after updating

1. Download the following files:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... n/menu.rbf
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... ain/MiSTer
2. Delete the files with the same name in /media/fat/ (or at the root of your MicroSD card if plugged into a PC).
3. Copy the two new ones to /media/fat (or the root of your MicroSD card if plugged into a PC).

That should resolve the issue. If the issue is still not resolved, try overwriting the Linux folder with the latest version:

1. Download the latest archive from here --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer
2. Unzip it to your PC.
3. Overwrite the Linux folder on the MiSTer (/media/fat/Linux/) with the Linux folder from the archive you unzipped. (edited)
Jump
dazzer69

I’ve done a fresh install on another sd card and still have the same problem. I should add is with the 1920 x 1200 custom video mode. Works fine when set to non custom mode.
dazzer69

Managed to get working by setting main ini to be video mode 8 and then alt ini to be 1920 x 1200 custom mode. Is no one else experiencing similar behaviour?
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

I was one that had major issues when that big Linux update dropped so I opted out of those updates for a while. I tried to do the newest main MiSTer update recently and that's when I got the black screen issue. Thankfully, I was able to do the MiSTer and Linux update non-destructively through the MiSTer SD Card Installer program and then the issue was solved for me. I have my MiSTer ready to run on different displays so my main ini is 1920 x 1080 and then I have an alt set for the custom settings of the ProArt. I don't know why it wouldn't work as the primary config, though. If it works as an alt ini, I'd expect it to do the same as the primary.

The only thing I could suggest is double check both the main MiSTer and the Linux backend are fully up to date but it sounds like you would have tried that already.
yaniko74

Unread post by yaniko74 »

PikWik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:08 am i am also in the camp of nostalgia for CRTs (i have a couple that i use with original consoles) but the upkeep, weight, and inevitable issues with them which require pricey/timely repairs has deterred me to find the best gaming computer monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... /under-200

that has a bunch of solid recommendations for reasonably priced gaming monitors,
and i just picked up the Acer Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx for $149 not too long ago.

i cannot say enough good things about the Nitro XF243Y. using it for the short time i have, it has sold me on using a computer monitor for my mister setup, vs a HDTV or CRT. i can run the mister in low lag mode on everything, and the Nitro XF243Y is at the top of the list when it comes to lowest input lag available from modern computer monitors, with .5ms response time and 9ms input lag tested
(https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/48931)

it has worked with everything ive thrown at it, from amiga @ 50hz, to the problematic section-z and double dragon refresh rates, and of course the 1st gen cave titles (dodonpachi) with their non-standard refresh rates.

colors are bright, pixels are sharp, the motion is instantaneous with zero ghosting, and imo the bang-for-the-buck is among the best for a 1080p computer monitor.

i wanted an expensive PVM/PBM or a VGA monitor from the 90s to be my main MiSTer monitor,
but after seeing how well this Acer Nitro has performed, and exceeded my expectations, im glad i didnt spend a small fortune on a PVM/PBM :)
I just buy this monitor and its not able to match some core refresh rate with low latency mode. Am i doing something wrong ?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

yaniko74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:24 am I just buy this monitor and its not able to match some core refresh rate with low latency mode. Am i doing something wrong ?
Which monitor? The Nitro XF243Y you're quoting, or the ASUS PA248QV the thread's all about?

If you're talking about the later, then maybe double-check your HDMI cable, as mine syncs with everything I throw at it, to a T.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

yaniko74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:24 am
PikWik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:08 am i am also in the camp of nostalgia for CRTs (i have a couple that i use with original consoles) but the upkeep, weight, and inevitable issues with them which require pricey/timely repairs has deterred me to find the best gaming computer monitor.

that has a bunch of solid recommendations for reasonably priced gaming monitors,

i cannot say enough good things about the Nitro XF243Y. using it for the short time i have, it has sold me on using a computer monitor for my mister setup, vs a HDTV or CRT. i can run the mister in low lag mode on everything, and the Nitro XF243Y is at the top of the list when it comes to lowest input lag available from modern computer monitors, with .5ms response time and 9ms input lag tested

it has worked with everything ive thrown at it, from amiga @ 50hz, to the problematic section-z and double dragon refresh rates, and of course the 1st gen cave titles (dodonpachi) with their non-standard refresh rates.

colors are bright, pixels are sharp, the motion is instantaneous with zero ghosting, and imo the bang-for-the-buck is among the best for a 1080p computer monitor.

i wanted an expensive PVM/PBM or a VGA monitor from the 90s to be my main MiSTer monitor,
but after seeing how well this Acer Nitro has performed, and exceeded my expectations, im glad i didnt spend a small fortune on a PVM/PBM :)
I just buy this monitor and its not able to match some core refresh rate with low latency mode. Am i doing something wrong ?
hey there!

if youre talking about the Acer Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx, its my goto monitor and is in low lag for every single core i play

i still stand by that monitor as a fantastic buy, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone else looking for a 24" computer monitor to run your mister in low lag. it has superb motion with no ghosting, and as low input lag as technology can get at ~60hz.
its LED too, so low power consuming and doesnt heat up

but to go back to your question. it would help to know which cores you were having trouble with, and also what your mister.ini looks like
yaniko74

Unread post by yaniko74 »

PikWik wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:01 pm
yaniko74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:24 am

hey there!

if youre talking about the Acer Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx, its my goto monitor and is in low lag for every single core i play

i still stand by that monitor as a fantastic buy, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone else looking for a 24" computer monitor to run your mister in low lag. it has superb motion with no ghosting, and as low input lag as technology can get at ~60hz.
its LED too, so low power consuming and doesnt heat up

but to go back to your question. it would help to know which cores you were having trouble with, and also what your mister.ini looks like
Some core match the frequency and others not like C64 and Dodonpachi.
IMG_0947.jpg
IMG_0947.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 7844 times
67D83BC6-D49F-430E-A77F-2A0723BEA4E8.jpg
67D83BC6-D49F-430E-A77F-2A0723BEA4E8.jpg (7.78 MiB) Viewed 7844 times
When i play i dont see any tearing maybe the osd or my mister.ini is wrong

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0   ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=0       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0       ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=0          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0        ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0          ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig. 
;mouse_throttle=10     ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0    ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0             ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0         ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
                       ; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0         ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=0              ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30         ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
                       ; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0           ; Display OSD menu rotated,  0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)                  

; 1 - enables the recent file loaded/mounted.
; WARNING: This option will enable write to SD card on every load/mount which may wear the SD card after many writes to the same place
;          There is also higher chance to corrupt the File System if MiSTer will be reset or powered off while writing.
recents=0

; lastcore - Autoboot the last loaded core (corename autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; lastexactcore - Autoboot the last loaded exact core (corename_yyyymmdd.rbf autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; corename - Autoboot first corename_*.rbf found on the SD/USB
; corename_yyyymmdd.rbf - Autoboot first corename_yyyymmdd.rbf found on the SD/USB
;bootcore=lastcore    ; uncomment to autoboot a core, as the last loaded core.
bootcore_timeout=10  ; 10-30 timeout before autoboot, comment for autoboot without timeout.

; Option to load the custom font. Format is plain bitmap 8x8.
; Supported sizes of font:
;   768 bytes - chars 32-127 (only alpha + numeric)
;  1024 bytes - chars 0-127
;  1136 bytes - chars 0-141
;  up to 2048 - only chars 0-141 will be used.
; if first 32 chars are empty (for sizes 1024 bytes and more) then they are skipped.
font=font/myfont.pf

; USER button emulation by keybaord. Usually it's reset button.
; 0 - lctrl+lalt+ralt (lctrl+lgui+rgui on keyrah)
; 1 - lctrl+lgui+rgui
; 2 - lctrl+lalt+del
; 3 - same as 0 (lctrl+lalt+ralt on keyrah)
reset_combo=0

dvi_mode=0             ; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.

; 0 - 1280x720@60
; 1 - 1024x768@60
; 2 - 720x480@60
; 3 - 720x576@50
; 4 - 1280x1024@60
; 5 - 800x600@60
; 6 - 640x480@60
; 7 - 1280x720@50
; 8 - 1920x1080@60
; 9 - 1920x1080@50
;10 - 1366x768@60
;11 - 1024x600@60
;12 - 1920x1440@60
;13 - 2048x1536@60
;
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
;   video_mode=1280,110,40,220,720,5,5,20,74250
video_mode=8

; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=10

; Set to 1 for automatic HDMI VSync rate adjust to match original VSync.
; Set to 2 for low latency mode (single buffer).
; This option makes video butter smooth like on original emulated system.
; Adjusting is done by changing pixel clock. Not every display supports variable pixel clock.
; For proper adjusting and to reduce possible out of range pixel clock, use 60Hz HDMI video
; modes as a base even for 50Hz systems. 
vsync_adjust=2

; If you monitor doesn't support either very low (NTSC monitors may not support PAL) or 
; very high (PAL monitors may not support NTSC) then you can set refresh_min and/or refresh_max
; parameters, so vsync_adjust won't be applied for refreshes outside specified.
; These parameters are valid only when vsync_adjust is non-zero.
refresh_min=0
refresh_max=0

; These parameters have the same format as video_mode.
; You need to supply both PAL and NTSC modes if you want vsync_adjust to switch between
; predefined modes as a base. This will reduce the range of pixel clock.
;video_mode_ntsc=0
;video_mode_pal=7

; 1-10 (seconds) to display controller's button map upon first time key press
; 0 - disable
controller_info=6

; JammaSD/J-PAC/I-PAC keys to joysticks translation
; You have to provide correct VID and PID of your input device
; Examples: Legacy J-PAC with Mini-USB or USB capable I-PAC with PS/2 connectors VID=0xD209/PID=0x0301
; USB Capable J-PAC with only PS/2 connectors VID=0x04B4/PID=0x0101
; JammaSD: VID=0x04D8/PID=0xF3AD
jamma_vid=0x04D8
jamma_pid=0xF3AD

; Disable merging input devices. Use if only player 1 works.
; Leave no_merge_pid empty to apply this to all devices with the same VID.
;no_merge_vid=0x045E
;no_merge_pid=0x028E

; Speeds in sniper/non-sniper modes of mouse emulation by joystick 
; 0 - (default) - faster move in non-sniper mode, slower move in sniper mode.
; 1 - movement speeds are swapped.
sniper_mode=0

; Uncomment following option if you don't want to see a second line for long file names in listing.
;browse_expand=0

; 0 - disable MiSTer logo in Menu core
logo=1

; Custom shared folder for core supporting this feature (currently minimig and ao486 only)
; Can be relative to core's home dir or absolute path.
; Path must exist before core start to use it, or it will fail.
; Make sure USB device is mounted before use shared folder on USB!
shared_folder=
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Your .ini looks fine to me... maybe set:

Code: Select all

refresh_min=
refresh_max=
...to your panel's specs.

Also, try to reload the offending cores once or twice without rebooting, and see what happens*

*There's a known issue/bug with DoDonPachi, as selecting 57Hz in the OSD forces precisely that with HDMI. Assuming your panel supports it, try to directly feed-in the raw analogue signal (i.e. via a standard VGA cable); 💥 problem's gone :mrgreen: This stands for every other erratic core as well. But you wouldn't want to rely on that, as you'd be introducing extra lag due to the A/D conversion going on.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Whatever is wrong with the OSD I can't see it being the display panel's fault. Mister always decides exactly what refresh rate it will send, it shouldn't care what display is connected to it. Whether the display will sync correctly or not, Mister will send the same refresh rate. Vsync_adjust=0 is provided for compatibility but this is just settling on a standard rate, not adapting to each monitor like say a software emulator might on some computers.

Most likely there's some rounding error when calculating the refresh frequency, if there's something deeper, I can't see it being the monitors problem. On the monitor end you would look for stuttering on a smooth scrolling field. (maybe 240p test suite running PAL mode). Some cores also have internal video buffer options (e.g. lynx) which could make the refresh different as well, again nothing to do with which monitor you use.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

yes, what foxbat just said,
if youre running the mister in low lag mode, its sending the correct refresh rate/video signal to the monitor (original refresh rate).

so, if youre getting a solid picture, without any stuttering, its just the monitor not displaying the FPS/refresh rate to a xx.x decimal in its FPS overlay, but the MiSTer is actually sending the correct refresh rate. noting that the info box in the MiSTer OSD can take a little bit of time to adjust resolution/scaling and the actual hz being shown in the output display box may be slightly off (showing 57.0hz instead of 57.2hz in dodonpachi)

now, if the screen was flickering, or was displaying a solid black screen instead of the game, then youd need to be worried.
but its just the monitor not displaying a XX.X decimal in the monitor's FPS overlay, combined with the MiSTer OSD not quite showing what its actually sending (C64 displaying 49.4hz instead of 50.1hz)
aperfectcirclefan

Unread post by aperfectcirclefan »

Hey all, recently picked up the ProArt and it's great. But it seems to have issues with the PSX core. Do any of you find it losing sync alot? Any suggestions to reduce that?
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

aperfectcirclefan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:34 pm Hey all, recently picked up the ProArt and it's great. But it seems to have issues with the PSX core. Do any of you find it losing sync alot? Any suggestions to reduce that?
The PSX can change resolutions to suit the needs of the programmer. A popular example is Dino Crisis where it uses a higher resolution for a sharper menu but then drops down to a lower resolution for smoother gameplay. Seems even the BIOS does this for sharper text on the second half with the copyright info at the bottom. If you're using vsync_adjust=2 for low latency, then it's going to "resync" with every change. It's the one core I don't use the low latency option for because of it. Some of the core options like "Sync 4801 for HDMI" can help with the number of times the monitor has to readjust but it's a different experience than most consoles sticking to one resolution the whole time.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

To anyone with the Asus ProArt PA248QV:

How does it handle 720p and 1080p content?

It's clearly near-ideal for MiSTer, but I use my gaming display for other systems as well (RetroPie, classic mini consoles, etc.) that display fake scanlines at 720p and 1080p native resolutions. This works out fine on 1080p (being either a multiplier of 1.5 or 1.0), but seems like it would look pretty bad scaled to 1200. Any experience there?
aperfectcirclefan

Unread post by aperfectcirclefan »

I use mine as my second screen monitor for my mac and it looks and works well. Dunno if that helps you.

Also thanks DevilHunterWolf that helped alot!!
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

@aperfectcirclefan I'm particularly interested in knowing how it handles scaling of non-native resolutions like 720p and 1080p upscaled to 1200 (even more specifically with fake scanlines a la Retroarch scalers, the SNES mini and the like, where I expect distortion to be at its worst). From all accounts unscaled native resolutions look fantastic - I have no doubt of that! =)
nizmox

Unread post by nizmox »

This monitor looks amazing and I was very close to pulling the trigger, but have been thinking if I want a 1440p display.
This display (PA248QV) seems near perfect for the MiSTer since nearly everything is 240p at 5x scale.
However I do sometimes use the scandoubler to smooth the image (which makes it 480p) and also own a dreamcast (with DC HDMI) which outputs 480p.
Also wondering what resolution is best for the PSX and upcoming Saturn cores.

Does anyone have experience with the 27" version?
I know the MiSTers max resolution is 1920 x 1440, but that is probably fine for using scandoubling or 720p otherwise.

https://www.asus.com/au/Displays-Deskto ... y-PA278CV/

edit: It seems like running at 1920x1440 maxes out at 60hz too so that may not work for DOS games with higher refresh rates.
https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-1440p-1 ... aling.html
Fed

Unread post by Fed »

nizmox wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:29 am edit: It seems like running at 1920x1440 maxes out at 60hz too so that may not work for DOS games with higher refresh rates.
https://www.retrorgb.com/mister-1440p-1 ... aling.html
27" version (PA278QV) can go up to 75hz in 2560x1440p
H3ML5XLAXBKU

Unread post by H3ML5XLAXBKU »

rhester72 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm @aperfectcirclefan I'm particularly interested in knowing how it handles scaling of non-native resolutions like 720p and 1080p upscaled to 1200 (even more specifically with fake scanlines a la Retroarch scalers, the SNES mini and the like, where I expect distortion to be at its worst). From all accounts unscaled native resolutions look fantastic - I have no doubt of that! =)
From my own experiences with the display, using Switch and PS5, the 1080p content is just stretched to fill the 1200 space. There is no option in the monitor's OSD to display content in a corrected ratio, i.e. insert black bars at the top and bottom. So it would depend on the device giving the signal.

Kind of disappointed by that myself, but like an above I use it with my mac and it's great. My other use case apart from MiSTer is UltraHDMI which can scale to 1200p. I am hoping to pick up a RetroTink 5x for my PS2 which also can output at that resolution (more specifically I am holding out for the AIO PS2 direct version), so apart from 'standard' content I am happy with the screen.
H3ML5XLAXBKU

Unread post by H3ML5XLAXBKU »

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:12 pm
aperfectcirclefan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:34 pm Hey all, recently picked up the ProArt and it's great. But it seems to have issues with the PSX core. Do any of you find it losing sync alot? Any suggestions to reduce that?
The PSX can change resolutions to suit the needs of the programmer. A popular example is Dino Crisis where it uses a higher resolution for a sharper menu but then drops down to a lower resolution for smoother gameplay. Seems even the BIOS does this for sharper text on the second half with the copyright info at the bottom. If you're using vsync_adjust=2 for low latency, then it's going to "resync" with every change. It's the one core I don't use the low latency option for because of it. Some of the core options like "Sync 4801 for HDMI" can help with the number of times the monitor has to readjust but it's a different experience than most consoles sticking to one resolution the whole time.
I was going to come in here to post about that as well.. except for the Game Boy core. I was trying to play Wario Land: SML3 and it kept having to re-sync on screen transition, making the experience pretty frustrating.

Guess I'll be adding more core specific settings in the ini
mic_

Unread post by mic_ »

I picked up a PA248QV last week, and I like it so far. The "Sharp & Crisp" preset with adaptive scanlines looks really nice for vertically oriented games IMO. My LG CX will probably keep serving as my primary MiSTer display, but it's nice to have a convenient option available for those games that are meant to be played in a vertical orientation.
adamchevy

Unread post by adamchevy »

I'm currently hunting for the lowest latency gaming monitor at 60hz and according to many rating/testing websites the Alienware AW2521H is the fastest monitor you can buy at 60hz. Has anyone on here tried one with the Mister? If anyone is curious it tests at 8.4ms of measurable lag at 60hz. It also tests at a 1100:1 contrast ratio, which isn't that exciting when your living in this new OLED future. But Oleds are still crazy expensive. I've had my eye on the Eizo S2133 4:3 monitor for some time. It advertises 6msGTG. But I'm not sure that would actually end up being accurate when tested. Also, the S2133 can't run below 50hz I've read. It does however have a 1500:1 advertised contrast ratio, which I would be willing to bet is very accurate. The Eizo would be unable to display Arcade cores like Gyruss. Again if anyone is wondering the Dell 2007Fp monitors will display below 50hz, but the motion blur when playing fast paced games isn't pleasing to my eyes. I've owned a Dell 2007Fpb for many years.