The Result of My Search for a Great MiSTer Display

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
RevolvingDork

Re: The Result of My Search for a Great MiSTer Display

Unread post by RevolvingDork »

RedRocket7 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:15 am Hello,

First of all thanks for the Display recommendation. The screen was really affordable and look awesome.
I followed your video settings instruction but I have some minor trouble.

In some games the refresh rate does not adapt perfectly.
For exemple Dodonpachi runs at 57.O, Dig Dug 60.9.

Do i have to set something on the display ?
Maybe you can share your .ini so I can test it ?

Thanks a lot.
Here's my current .ini file in full, hope it helps! I haven't made any changes to the monitor's settings. One thing to keep in mind: I'm using an HDMI -> HDMI cable to connect the MISTer to the monitor.

Code: Select all

[MiSTer]
key_menu_as_rgui=0     ; set to 1 to make the MENU key map to RGUI in Minimig (e.g. for Right Amiga)
forced_scandoubler=0   ; set to 1 to run scandoubler on VGA output always (depends on core).
ypbpr=0                ; set to 1 for YPbPr on VGA output.
composite_sync=0       ; set to 1 for composite sync on HSync signal of VGA output.
vga_scaler=0           ; set to 1 to connect VGA to scaler output.
hdmi_audio_96k=0       ; set to 1 for 96khz/16bit HDMI audio (48khz/16bit otherwise)
keyrah_mode=0x18d80002 ; VIDPID of keyrah for special code translation (0x23418037 for Arduino Micro)
vscale_mode=1          ; 0 - scale to fit the screen height.
                       ; 1 - use integer scale only.
                       ; 2 - use 0.5 steps of scale.
                       ; 3 - use 0.25 steps of scale.
vscale_border=0        ; set vertical border for TVs cutting the upper/bottom parts of screen (1-399)
;bootscreen=0          ; uncomment to disable boot screen of some cores like Minimig. 
;mouse_throttle=10     ; 1-100 mouse speed divider. Useful for very sensitive mice
rbf_hide_datecode=0    ; 1 - hides datecodes from rbf file names. Press F2 for quick temporary toggle
menu_pal=0             ; 1 - PAL mode for menu core
hdmi_limited=0         ; 1 - use limited (16..235) color range over HDMI
                       ; 2 - use limited (16..255) color range over HDMI, for VGA converters.
direct_video=0         ; 1 - enable core video timing over HDMI, use only with VGA converters.
fb_size=0              ; 0 - automatic, 1 - full size, 2 - 1/2 of resolution, 4 - 1/4 of resolution.
fb_terminal=1          ; 1 - enabled (default), 0 - disabled
osd_timeout=30         ; 5-3600 timeout (in seconds) for OSD to disappear in Menu core. 30 seconds if not set.
                       ; Background picture will get darker after double timeout
osd_rotate=0           ; Display OSD menu rotated,  0 - no rotation, 1 - rotate right (+90°), 2 - rotate left (-90°)                  

; 1 - enables the recent file loaded/mounted.
; WARNING: This option will enable write to SD card on every load/mount which may wear the SD card after many writes to the same place
;          There is also higher chance to corrupt the File System if MiSTer will be reset or powered off while writing.
recents=0

; lastcore - Autoboot the last loaded core (corename autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; lastexactcore - Autoboot the last loaded exact core (corename_yyyymmdd.rbf autosaved in CONFIG/lastcore.dat) first found on the SD/USB
; corename - Autoboot first corename_*.rbf found on the SD/USB
; corename_yyyymmdd.rbf - Autoboot first corename_yyyymmdd.rbf found on the SD/USB
;bootcore=lastcore    ; uncomment to autoboot a core, as the last loaded core.

; 10-30 timeout before autoboot, comment for autoboot without timeout.
bootcore_timeout=10

; Option to load the custom font. Format is plain bitmap 8x8.
; Supported sizes of font:
;   768 bytes - chars 32-127 (only alpha + numeric)
;  1024 bytes - chars 0-127
;  1136 bytes - chars 0-141
;  up to 2048 - only chars 0-141 will be used.
; if first 32 chars are empty (for sizes 1024 bytes and more) then they are skipped.
font=font/myfont.pf

; USER button emulation by keybaord. Usually it's reset button.
; 0 - lctrl+lalt+ralt (lctrl+lgui+rgui on keyrah)
; 1 - lctrl+lgui+rgui
; 2 - lctrl+lalt+del
; 3 - same as 0 (lctrl+lalt+ralt on keyrah)
reset_combo=0

; set to 1 for DVI mode. Audio won't be transmitted through HDMI in DVI mode.
dvi_mode=1

; 0 - 1280x720@60
; 1 - 1024x768@60
; 2 - 720x480@60
; 3 - 720x576@50
; 4 - 1280x1024@60
; 5 - 800x600@60
; 6 - 640x480@60
; 7 - 1280x720@50
; 8 - 1920x1080@60
; 9 - 1920x1080@50
;10 - 1366x768@60
;11 - 1024x600@60
;12 - 1920x1440@60
;13 - 2048x1536@60
;
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
;   video_mode=1280,110,40,220,720,5,5,20,74250
;video_mode=0
video_mode=1920,48,32,80,1200,3,6,26,154128

; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=10

; Set to 1 for automatic HDMI VSync rate adjust to match original VSync.
; Set to 2 for low latency mode (single buffer).
; This option makes video butter smooth like on original emulated system.
; Adjusting is done by changing pixel clock. Not every display supports variable pixel clock.
; For proper adjusting and to reduce possible out of range pixel clock, use 60Hz HDMI video
; modes as a base even for 50Hz systems. 
vsync_adjust=2

; If you monitor doesn't support either very low (NTSC monitors may not support PAL) or 
; very high (PAL monitors may not support NTSC) then you can set refresh_min and/or refresh_max
; parameters, so vsync_adjust won't be applied for refreshes outside specified.
; These parameters are valid only when vsync_adjust is non-zero.
refresh_min=48
refresh_max=75

; These parameters have the same format as video_mode.
; You need to supply both PAL and NTSC modes if you want vsync_adjust to switch between
; predefined modes as a base. This will reduce the range of pixel clock.
;video_mode_ntsc=0
;video_mode_pal=7

; 1-10 (seconds) to display controller's button map upon first time key press
; 0 - disable
controller_info=6

; JammaSD/J-PAC/I-PAC keys to joysticks translation
; You have to provide correct VID and PID of your input device
; Examples: Legacy J-PAC with Mini-USB or USB capable I-PAC with PS/2 connectors VID=0xD209/PID=0x0301
; USB Capable J-PAC with only PS/2 connectors VID=0x04B4/PID=0x0101
; JammaSD: VID=0x04D8/PID=0xF3AD
jamma_vid=0x04D8
jamma_pid=0xF3AD

; Disable merging input devices. Use if only player 1 works.
; Leave no_merge_pid empty to apply this to all devices with the same VID.
;no_merge_vid=0x045E
;no_merge_pid=0x028E

; Speeds in sniper/non-sniper modes of mouse emulation by joystick 
; 0 - (default) - faster move in non-sniper mode, slower move in sniper mode.
; 1 - movement speeds are swapped.
sniper_mode=0

; Uncomment following option if you don't want to see a second line for long file names in listing.
;browse_expand=0

; 0 - disable MiSTer logo in Menu core
logo=1

; Custom shared folder for core supporting this feature (currently minimig and ao486 only)
; Can be relative to core's home dir or absolute path.
; Path must exist before core start to use it, or it will fail.
; Make sure USB device is mounted before use shared folder on USB!
shared_folder=

; Custom aspect ratio
;custom_aspect_ratio_1=16:10
;custom_aspect_ratio_2=1:1

; use specific (VID/PID) mouse X movement as a spinner and paddle. Use VID=0xFFFF/PID=0xFFFF to use all mice as spinners.
; spinner_throttle with base value 100 gives one spinner step per one tick. Higher value makes spinner slower.
; Lower than 100 makes spinner faster. Negative value gives opposite direction.
;spinner_vid=0x1BCF
;spinner_pid=0x0005
;spinner_throttle=-50

; Default filters for video scaler and audio. Paths must be relative to scaler/audio filter filders without leading slash.
;vfilter_default=LCD_Effect/07.txt
;afilter_default=LPF2000_3tap.txt
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Another-Frank wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am 2) Running the Scroll Test of the suite, the video gets quite blurry (especially the gras stripe at the bottom since it's moving fastest). On my BVM, the entire image stays crystal clear no matter how fast I scroll and when my eyes follow and focus an object, it's sharp. Is this something we have to accept and this panel (or any panel) can't do better, or could there be a setting that I haven't enabled/disabled yet?
2, Sounds like your seeing one of the drawbacks of LCD panels.
Which is this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_motion_blur
RevolvingDork

Another-Frank wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am 1) Running the 240p test suite via TurboGrafx-16 core gives me a vertically stretched image at the 320x224 resolution (the circle of the Linearity picture looks like an egg), and a perfect image ratio at 256x224. Is this because the video_mode is set to be perfect for 256x224, and if I run anything else I'll have to change the video_mode setting?
I did notice this on the 240p test suite on TG-16 as well, but it looks like individual games run at different resolutions. I was able to alter this by playing with the core's settings ( specifically, the "Audio & Video" -> "Scale" / "Overscan" settings ). It looks like the majority of TG-16 games run at 256×240, but you might need to do some tweaking on a game-by-game basis.
Another-Frank wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am 2) Running the Scroll Test of the suite, the video gets quite blurry (especially the gras stripe at the bottom since it's moving fastest). On my BVM, the entire image stays crystal clear no matter how fast I scroll and when my eyes follow and focus an object, it's sharp. Is this something we have to accept and this panel (or any panel) can't do better, or could there be a setting that I haven't enabled/disabled yet?
I believe this is a "feature" of LCD panels at large. There's actually a setting in the monitor to tweak this -- check out Menu -> Image -> Trace Free. I believe the default is "40", and the higher you go the less blurring you'll get ( at the cost of more ghosting ).
RedRocket7

Unread post by RedRocket7 »

RevolvingDork wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Here's my current .ini file in full, hope it helps! I haven't made any changes to the monitor's settings. One thing to keep in mind: I'm using an HDMI -> HDMI cable to connect the MISTer to the monitor.

Thanks for sharing !
I tried your .ini with a fresh Mister install via update_all and Dodonpachi. It still lock at 57.0 instead of 57.2.
I switched to a VGA cable and it lock at 57.2.
Si I though maybe it's an HDMI cable problem but I tried with 3 different one and got the same result.

The display settings are stock too, so I'm kinda lost.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

Another-Frank wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am Running the Scroll Test of the suite, the video gets quite blurry (especially the gras stripe at the bottom since it's moving fastest). On my BVM, the entire image stays crystal clear no matter how fast I scroll and when my eyes follow and focus an object, it's sharp. Is this something we have to accept and this panel (or any panel) can't do better, or could there be a setting that I haven't enabled/disabled yet?
im using the aforementioned acer nitro XF243Y,
but can also confirm the scrolling isnt as sharp, compared to the scrolling on my CRT with test suite 240p loaded with a SD2SNES and an original console.

the acer nitro stays as sharp as my CRT for the first couple scrolling speeds, using the scroll test with the sonic background, but as the scrolling gets cranked up, the bottom grass gets blurry.
mind you, i dont know of any games that scroll pixels that wildly, and the games i do play most often (SHMUPS, SMW rom hacks) are as sharp as they need to be and movement blur is not noticeable during gameplay.

this blur/motion test would be different if i was running the acer nitro in a native 120hz+ mode, and i would not expect scrolling to blur the way it does at the ~60hz of the SNES test suite. running a computer monitor at 120hz versus 60hz is a night and day difference, specifically when comparing things like movement/pixel blur.

i know you said you were using a BVM, but im using a consumer grade CRT from the mid 2000s. my consumer CRT is not an example of a pristine CRT, it has distortions, and is quite blurry in general (the text on the test suite is hard to read/mushy, even with my TV's sharpness set at a decent level).

the acer nitro displays the mister in razor sharp pixels and even if the frantic hyper scrolling of the test suite is blurry, i have no desire to use the CRT as my main monitor, compared to the versatility of a modern PC monitor that can easily tate in both directions.
Another-Frank

Unread post by Another-Frank »

PikWik wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:10 am im using the aforementioned acer nitro XF243Y, but can also confirm the scrolling isnt as sharp, compared to the scrolling on my CRT with test suite 240p loaded with a SD2SNES and an original console.
I returned the Asus since I don't like the blurred picture when scrolling. It wasn't only during the Sonic scene, I also noticed some blur and even stutter when playing GnG for the short time I had it. On top of that, I wanted to use it for my current gen consoles when our main TV is occupied, but the Asus stretches the 1080p image instead of using letterbox, what a shame. The picture is great and I can see why it's great for many other people.

Maybe I'll give the XF243Y a go, it would be interesting to see how noticeable the blurriness is. But since I seem to be picky about the topic, I'll probably just keep using the BVMs for retro gaming after all. Their picture quality is flawless for this type of content.
Zeosstud

Unread post by Zeosstud »

Yeah, I think just keep using the BVM.. Those of us getting an LCD have basically just given up on the whole BVM / PVM and are doing the best we can with things we can actually get our hands on and afford.. Game on sir!!
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

yes, what zeo said.

for me, i needed something that could be easily incorporated into an all-in-one cabinet i was building, and the need for rotating in both directions, and supporting all the weird refresh rates, was paramount. the XF243Y does just that, and i havent had any problems with it.

------

in an ideal world, i would have 3 BVMs/PVMs, one for each rotation, with 3 separate mister's connected in dedicated cabinets,
but i dont have that kind of money or space :)
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

The BVM/PVM hype is the curse of CRT gaming. You really don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on one of these to have a good CRT experience. Decent consumer sets (such as Trinitrons, but not only) can have outsdanding display quality and cost you either nothing or the price of a few beers.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

akeley wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:57 am cost you either nothing or the price of a few beers.
And a broken back :D
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

If you go over 21", yeah, quite possibly. But I got a couple actually delivered right to my flat for the price of few more beers ;)
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Another-Frank wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:00 pm I returned the Asus since I don't like the blurred picture when scrolling.
Ah, thank you, you've reminded me of the 'trace free' slider on the monitor :) While I can't really perceive slight motion blur, I'm certainly sensitive to ghosting and flicker.

A TFT panel is never meant to replicate a CRT, especially a BVM. The topic here was about finding a decent middle-of-the-road, acceptable solution which would negate the grave handicaps of dealing with bulky, moribund devices.
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

Does this monitor rotate to portrait both ways so Gorf and Centipede will be playable in portrait mode as my Dell only rotates one way?
Francis

Unread post by Francis »

Hello

I have an old crt tv - lg lafinion 72, 480p - and plasma tv 1080p. Which of both would be better? I dont have the mister yet...
RevolvingDork

Vic20-Ian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am Does this monitor rotate to portrait both ways so Gorf and Centipede will be playable in portrait mode as my Dell only rotates one way?
The Asus Pro Art PA248QV comes with a stand that rotates 90 degrees in either direction, but if you have an existing monitor you already like you can probably save money by buying a VESA arm mount instead.
RevolvingDork

Francis wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:37 pm I have an old crt tv - lg lafinion 72, 480p - and plasma tv 1080p. Which of both would be better? I dont have the mister yet...
Since you already have two different types of displays, you can experiment with both to figure out which you like! For most people, it comes down to the types of games they want to play and where they'd like to play them. The MiSTer supports both digital and analog output, so it can be used with just about any display as long as you have the right cables.

Having a variety of displays to play with is a great place to start, since you can weigh the pros and cons of the CRT versus the Plasma without buying anything new.
Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

RevolvingDork wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:10 pm
Vic20-Ian wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am Does this monitor rotate to portrait both ways so Gorf and Centipede will be playable in portrait mode as my Dell only rotates one way?
The Asus Pro Art PA248QV comes with a stand that rotates 90 degrees in either direction, but if you have an existing monitor you already like you can probably save money by buying a VESA arm mount instead.
Good Call. Thank you.

I just removed a Vesa arm on my desk for 2 new LG monitors for work that have their own arm.

I took the Dell off it's own stand an found the vesa holes behind.

Problem solved!
wethebased

Unread post by wethebased »

Hey everyone

First time poster here. So I picked up this monitor due to the kudos it has been receiving from this thread and I have to say that it is by far the best lcd I have used so far for the mister from a price to performance perspective, as well as simply just because it works with anything I have thrown at it so far.

If you are looking at picking this lcd up, by all means go for it, you won't be disappointed. Heres what my work in progress mister project currently looks like:
IMG_1510.jpg
IMG_1510.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 28009 times
Looking forward to becoming a frequent poster here and thanks to everyone for the work on this project. Absolutely obsessed these days with fiddling around with my mister:)
RevolvingDork

wethebased wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:12 pm If you are looking at picking this lcd up, by all means go for it, you won't be disappointed. Heres what my work in progress mister project currently looks like:
Nice collection of control options!

I recently ordered a SNAC set with NES & SNES adaptors and I'm looking forward to trying out multiple controllers as well. The metagame of messing around with different configurations is pretty fun in its own right.
wethebased

RevolvingDork wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 pm Nice collection of control options!

I recently ordered a SNAC set with NES & SNES adaptors and I'm looking forward to trying out multiple controllers as well. The metagame of messing around with different configurations is pretty fun in its own right.
Thanks! Ya I have a bunch of controller options that I have gathered throughout the years and its so awesome they all work great with the mister. I may pursue the SNAC option one day as well. Its to bad the fight stick I have needs the Magic NS to function as its the Ps3 model, but really, I have not noticed much in the way of additional latency when using it.

For displays I have a bunch of CRT's, and I was on the hunt for a decent to great LCD and the Asus you recommended just simply worked. Thanks again for starting this post as I would not have known to try this monitor otherwise.
pbsk8

Unread post by pbsk8 »

wethebased wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:12 pm Hey everyone

First time poster here. So I picked up this monitor due to the kudos it has been receiving from this thread and I have to say that it is by far the best lcd I have used so far for the mister from a price to performance perspective, as well as simply just because it works with anything I have thrown at it so far.

If you are looking at picking this lcd up, by all means go for it, you won't be disappointed. Heres what my work in progress mister project currently looks like:

IMG_1510.jpg

Looking forward to becoming a frequent poster here and thanks to everyone for the work on this project. Absolutely obsessed these days with fiddling around with my mister:)
what is the model of this asus monitor?
RevolvingDork

pbsk8 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:30 pm what is the model of this asus monitor?
Check out the first post of this thread for the model number and a lot more information.
gibs

Unread post by gibs »

RevolvingDork wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:14 pm
Insert Disk Two wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13 am Two things:

1. Does it support 50hz like Amiga and C64 natively? (No stuttering on scrolling)

2. With the exclusion of DoDonPachi nothing is 240p, but less. I find 1080p with cropping a better solution.
1. I'm not a C64 expert, but I booted up Turrican and took a test video with a dinky webcam. It scrolled quite smoothly to my eye, and the monitor was matched at 50.1Hz.

WIN_20210223_18_03_16_Pro.jpg

2. That is also a good option! I like anything running at integer scale so scanline filters don't cause inconsistencies.

Newsdee wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:17 am I have the older model of the ProArt (PA246Q) which I've used for many years. It's also a 1920x1200 display which is a rare aspect ratio.

I really like it, but I recently upgraded to a wider screen for work (3440x1440). I now run my main MiSTer as half of that screen, which is pretty good for regular display and TATE (1720x1440). My ASUS PA is still around, so I might use it for a TATE setup later on.
That sounds great, 1440 is also a very nice vertical resolution!
Sorry, but 50Hz sync is good for vertical scrolling.
Here, you are showing Turrican wich is a horizontal scrolling game.
To get Horizontal scroll smoothness you'll need a 15KHz monitor :) (LCD [there are a few supporting it] or CRT) and if you still want to go with LCD, then you will have to use the VGA output...
With your monitor you have solved a problem of ratio with some cores only :)
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I have 2 LCDs (older VGA/DVI ones) that fully support 50hz and two TVs that fake it OK with a 120hz pulldown. There's plenty of LCDs that won't oblige but they do exist... it also works fine over HDMI with vsync_adjust=1 or 2 if you got the right display.

I would agree this display better do 50hz as well as 70hz right or it can hardly be called the "ultimate."
wethebased

thanks for the insight guys. what would be a quick and dirty way to test 70hz? ill test and post results. i currently do not have the ao486 core setup or i would simply try it out with that.

TIA
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Honestly it is difficult to test 70hz because many games VGA DOS games internal framerate was more like 35 hz at best (although the mouse was still 70?). And the one game I know of that shot for smoothness was Jazz Jackrabbit at 60 hz. There is probably some test out there but I can't think of any. Only one of my displays I have confidence in does 70hz correctly (because it seems incapable of buffering more than one frame), the others may or may not but I don't have a reliable test.

The panel in this monitor does cover 48-75 hz but that does not mean the scaler will oblige, as I do have newer freesync monitors that clearly do not handle 50hz from the Mister right and do a pulldown (up?) to 60hz, even though it is in the range of the panel and 50hz can work fine in say Retroarch emulation using adaptive sync on a PC.
TheLastMember

Unread post by TheLastMember »

I got the architectural resin cut to match and this monitor looks beautiful under the smoked glass. Next up is either putting it in the space invaders cocktail or fabricating a cabinet. Haven't decided yet.

https://youtu.be/bLCTV4k7AJ8
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I'm a bit worried about the upcoming WonderSwan core which is running @ 75.4 Hz natively.

Imma try a VGA to VGA cable and see how it goes :)

PS: I haven't access to the beta; can anyone with the particular monitor (and the beta) attest to how it goes?

[Edit 12/6/2021] what the...I'm happy to report it does sync beautifully @ 193.69 Mhz 75.4 Hz! Poor DE10 is gonna explode! :shock:
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

So what's the verdict on the best monitor for MiSTer?

I have an LG 27UK600-W (4K) secondary monitor but I've been looking for something that supports up to 75 Hz for DOS gaming, but the 27UK600 does sync to all refresh rates I've been able to throw at it. (under 60 Hz of course)
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

sofakng wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:20 am So what's the verdict on the best monitor for MiSTer?

I have an LG 27UK600-W (4K) secondary monitor but I've been looking for something that supports up to 75 Hz for DOS gaming, but the 27UK600 does sync to all refresh rates I've been able to throw at it. (under 60 Hz of course)
Tell you what, the PA248QV was my 2nd best money spent besides the MiSTer itself :)

...and I've spent a lot on the thing