The Result of My Search for a Great MiSTer Display

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: The Result of My Search for a Great MiSTer Display

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Honestly it is difficult to test 70hz because many games VGA DOS games internal framerate was more like 35 hz at best (although the mouse was still 70?). And the one game I know of that shot for smoothness was Jazz Jackrabbit at 60 hz. There is probably some test out there but I can't think of any. Only one of my displays I have confidence in does 70hz correctly (because it seems incapable of buffering more than one frame), the others may or may not but I don't have a reliable test.

The panel in this monitor does cover 48-75 hz but that does not mean the scaler will oblige, as I do have newer freesync monitors that clearly do not handle 50hz from the Mister right and do a pulldown (up?) to 60hz, even though it is in the range of the panel and 50hz can work fine in say Retroarch emulation using adaptive sync on a PC.
TheLastMember

Unread post by TheLastMember »

I got the architectural resin cut to match and this monitor looks beautiful under the smoked glass. Next up is either putting it in the space invaders cocktail or fabricating a cabinet. Haven't decided yet.

https://youtu.be/bLCTV4k7AJ8
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I'm a bit worried about the upcoming WonderSwan core which is running @ 75.4 Hz natively.

Imma try a VGA to VGA cable and see how it goes :)

PS: I haven't access to the beta; can anyone with the particular monitor (and the beta) attest to how it goes?

[Edit 12/6/2021] what the...I'm happy to report it does sync beautifully @ 193.69 Mhz 75.4 Hz! Poor DE10 is gonna explode! :shock:
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

So what's the verdict on the best monitor for MiSTer?

I have an LG 27UK600-W (4K) secondary monitor but I've been looking for something that supports up to 75 Hz for DOS gaming, but the 27UK600 does sync to all refresh rates I've been able to throw at it. (under 60 Hz of course)
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

sofakng wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:20 am So what's the verdict on the best monitor for MiSTer?

I have an LG 27UK600-W (4K) secondary monitor but I've been looking for something that supports up to 75 Hz for DOS gaming, but the 27UK600 does sync to all refresh rates I've been able to throw at it. (under 60 Hz of course)
Tell you what, the PA248QV was my 2nd best money spent besides the MiSTer itself :)

...and I've spent a lot on the thing
xmpp

Unread post by xmpp »

Hi all,

I'm considering getting this monitor or the bigger 27 inch, exclusively for MiSTer use. Are there any pros/cons to having 1440 vertical resolution instead of 1200?

Thanks!
wethebased

Unread post by wethebased »

I second lamarax on this monitor. Excellent purchase, no regrets. You can see a picture of my setup further back in this thread.

I find the 24 inch with the 16:10 aspect ratio preferable in the sense that the screen is filled more vs the 27 that is a 16:9.
MISTerMark

Unread post by MISTerMark »

I picked up one of these up recently and im pleased with it.

I used the settings suggested by lamarax and it looks great -

- Scenery preset on the monitor.
- SL_Br_130_060_Soft on mister filter
- Poly gamma setting 2.7 on mister

I also copied RevolvingDorks mister.ini and was scratching my head as to why there was no audio, I had to change dvi_mode=0 in mister.ini
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

MISTerMark wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:51 pm I picked up one of these up recently and im pleased with it.

I also copied RevolvingDorks mister.ini and was scratching my head as to why there was no audio, I had to change dvi_mode=0 in mister.ini

ᕙ( ͡◉ ͜ ʖ ͡◉)ᕗ

It's a great panel for the MiSTer isn't it?

Now that @ghogan42 (shh.. sekrit) is working on a shadow mask filter (which needs to be implemented in the framework; it's not just a simple .txt file), I think that we'll at last be able to toss those bulky CRTs to the bin.

Please don't shoot me!
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

lamarax wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:22 pm
MISTerMark wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:51 pm I picked up one of these up recently and im pleased with it.

ᕙ( ͡◉ ͜ ʖ ͡◉)ᕗ

It's a great panel for the MiSTer isn't it?

Now that @ghogan42 (shh.. sekrit) is working on a shadow mask filter (which needs to be implemented in the framework; it's not just a simple .txt file), I think that we'll at last be able to toss those bulky CRTs to the bin.

Please don't shoot me!
Don't get too crazy... It's quite nice though.
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

I just picked up the ProArt monitor after seeing this pop up in recent posts and intrigued by the glowing reviews for it. Saw it at my local MicroCenter for a good price and gave it a try. My initial impressions were good. Nice and colorful with a very useful out of box stand. I put in RevolvingDork's ini changes for the monitor and I was immediately impressed. My personal preference is for a sharp 1080p output that goes to the screen edges over a 720p integer scale correct output. The 16:10 ratio gives a best of both worlds approach. Even for a 24 inch display, its native resolution with integer scale is nice, big, and crisp. It's not perfectly filled in, but much less empty space than it would be at 1080p normally. And now the scanlines filter has proper spacing with no more wavey pattern to it. It was not that big of a bother to me, but oh man do I appreciate it's no longer there!

Is it a perfect monitor? No. It's not the quickest on the draw for handling display changes. As a result, it takes a while after a core loads to get an image or freaks out if you change Scandoubler FX settings. Also, the monitor doesn't like to play well with native VGA output ratios. It'll handle the input like a champ (love seeing that mystical 16KHz on its information page) but the ratio setting likes to gray out and not let me set it to 4:3 to fix the stretching. And of course, vertical rotation looks a bit weird with extra space on the "top" and "bottom" of the image. But considering that CRTs and many affordable 4:3 panels are getting up there in age and use, it's nice to have a modern alternative that works so well. Price and availability are better than an Arcooda Arcade 4:3 monitor or some of the highly priced cheap quality monitors you find online. This is a consumer friendly pick up, indeed!

I still have more to run through with the monitor, but I think this is a fantastic option to use for these retro games. The MiSTer's FPGA low latency plus the monitor running in no lag mode and just how beautifully crisp the games look all add up to a wonderful experience. I may not have needed another monitor but I'm so far very happy with the decision.
elvis

Unread post by elvis »

xmpp wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:02 pm Are there any pros/cons to having 1440 vertical resolution instead of 1200?
1440 is an integer scale of 720, 480 and 240, whereas 1200 is not (only 240 for it). If you use all those input resolutions, that's quite convenient.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm My personal preference is for a sharp 1080p output that goes to the screen edges over a 720p integer scale correct output. The 16:10 ratio gives a best of both worlds approach. Even for a 24 inch display, its native resolution with integer scale is nice, big, and crisp. It's not perfectly filled in, but much less empty space than it would be at 1080p normally. And now the scanlines filter has proper spacing with no more wavey pattern to it. It was not that big of a bother to me, but oh man do I appreciate it's no longer there!
There is zero need to compromise here, supply a custom 1920x1200 video mode to use the full native resolution and great 5x scaling for 240p cores.
Is it a perfect monitor? No. It's not the quickest on the draw for handling display changes. As a result, it takes a while after a core loads to get an image or freaks out if you change Scandoubler FX settings.
This is pretty standard for vsync_adjust=2 on Mister, not the monitor's fault.
DevilHunterWolf

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:36 pm
DevilHunterWolf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:43 pm My personal preference is for a sharp 1080p output that goes to the screen edges over a 720p integer scale correct output. The 16:10 ratio gives a best of both worlds approach. Even for a 24 inch display, its native resolution with integer scale is nice, big, and crisp. It's not perfectly filled in, but much less empty space than it would be at 1080p normally. And now the scanlines filter has proper spacing with no more wavey pattern to it. It was not that big of a bother to me, but oh man do I appreciate it's no longer there!
There is zero need to compromise here, supply a custom 1920x1200 video mode to use the full native resolution and great 5x scaling for 240p cores.
Is it a perfect monitor? No. It's not the quickest on the draw for handling display changes. As a result, it takes a while after a core loads to get an image or freaks out if you change Scandoubler FX settings.
This is pretty standard for vsync_adjust=2 on Mister, not the monitor's fault.
RevolvingDork's ini settings does set the MiSTer for a native 1920x1200 resolution, as far as I'm aware. The monitor agreed that was the resolution being pushed through it. I am opting for vscale_mode=1 for only exact integer scale at that resolution, no half or quarter steps. But even at correct integer, I'm still pretty happy with how little blank space there was over the same thing on a 16:9 1080p output. Unless there's something different you're referring to?

I am a bit relieved to hear that the vsync_adjust=2 is contributing to the display black outs on changes. I was thinking it was budget Asus at play since none of my other Asus monitors are particularly quick with input or display changes. But if that's expected from that mode, then I know that's how all kinds of monitors would behave, not just this particular ProArt. One less thing to wonder if another display could handle better.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Sorry I may have misunderstood. As long as you got 1200p from Mister (not 1080p) then you are making full use of your display. vscale_mode=1 will give you perfect vertical integer scale, or the V-integer scaling mode available in many cores, which is particularly important for lining up your scanline filters.

Vsync_adjust=2 seems to have been a relatively later development, it wasn't what the system was built on, so that's probably why there is lingering weirdness. Sergio in particular doesn't seem to see as much value in ultra-low latency as many other Mister enthusiasts.
StrafeMcgee

Unread post by StrafeMcgee »

Hey folks.

Relatively new MISTer owner here. I'm messing about with setups at the moment, trying to find the settings that work best with my display. How is everyone else getting that wee pop-up showing the output resolution and refresh rate in the top left corner? Is it an ini setting that needs to be turned on?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Yes:
; set to 1-10 (seconds) to display video info on startup/change
video_info=0
AnotherAdam

Unread post by AnotherAdam »

I picked up this monitor last week (from Microcenter - they still have them available for a fairly decent price). It's been great for the mister and is introducing me to scanline filters, something I hadn't used before. There's a bit of light bleed on mine and it has that IPS "reflectiveness" in the dark areas, but for the price it's well worth it.

One thing I've noticed is that the Scenery mode makes the picture way too dark. The colors really pop, but you lose a lot of detail in dark scenes. I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the SNES. I'm directly comparing to my CRT. I didn't touch the contrast, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone else just use the Standard mode? I find it to be the better choice.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

AnotherAdam wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:55 pm I picked up this monitor last week (from Microcenter - they still have them available for a fairly decent price). It's been great for the mister and is introducing me to scanline filters, something I hadn't used before. There's a bit of light bleed on mine and it has that IPS "reflectiveness" in the dark areas, but for the price it's well worth it.

One thing I've noticed is that the Scenery mode makes the picture way too dark. The colors really pop, but you lose a lot of detail in dark scenes. I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the SNES. I'm directly comparing to my CRT. I didn't touch the contrast, maybe I'm missing something.

Anyone else just use the Standard mode? I find it to be the better choice.
You're right; since I've posted my recommendation above, I grew wary of the 'scenery' preset and its dark blacks so to speak (which I was using along with the pure_gamma_115 filter).

I reverted to standard mode with Poly Gamma_2.7. Looks much more natural now :)
rian

Unread post by rian »

ProArt Asus Monitor for me is the best one I ordered from Amazon one and a half months ago for $445 and now I see it's selling for $402.11 the best choice I have made in the summer.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

rian wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 pm ProArt Asus Monitor for me is the best one I ordered from Amazon one and a half months ago for $445 and now I see it's selling for $402.11 the best choice I have made in the summer.
That's the 27'' right? Because $445 sounds a bit too high for the 24'' model. Unless you're talking AUS$ :mrgreen:
rian

Unread post by rian »

lamarax wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:27 pm
rian wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:50 pm ProArt Asus Monitor for me is the best one I ordered from Amazon one and a half months ago for $445 and now I see it's selling for $402.11 the best choice I have made in the summer.
That's the 27'' right? Because $445 sounds a bit too high for the 24'' model. Unless you're talking AUS$ :mrgreen:
Yes 27" :)
dazzer69

Unread post by dazzer69 »

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the latest main MiSTer, 20211010? I’ve just got round to updating and get no HDMI out. Reverting back to previous release fixes the problem. Very pleased with this monitor otherwise.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

From the Mister Discord, if you get the black screen and no HDMI after updating

1. Download the following files:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... n/menu.rbf
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Distrib ... ain/MiSTer
2. Delete the files with the same name in /media/fat/ (or at the root of your MicroSD card if plugged into a PC).
3. Copy the two new ones to /media/fat (or the root of your MicroSD card if plugged into a PC).

That should resolve the issue. If the issue is still not resolved, try overwriting the Linux folder with the latest version:

1. Download the latest archive from here --> https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SD-Inst ... n64_MiSTer
2. Unzip it to your PC.
3. Overwrite the Linux folder on the MiSTer (/media/fat/Linux/) with the Linux folder from the archive you unzipped. (edited)
Jump
dazzer69

I’ve done a fresh install on another sd card and still have the same problem. I should add is with the 1920 x 1200 custom video mode. Works fine when set to non custom mode.
dazzer69

Managed to get working by setting main ini to be video mode 8 and then alt ini to be 1920 x 1200 custom mode. Is no one else experiencing similar behaviour?
DevilHunterWolf

I was one that had major issues when that big Linux update dropped so I opted out of those updates for a while. I tried to do the newest main MiSTer update recently and that's when I got the black screen issue. Thankfully, I was able to do the MiSTer and Linux update non-destructively through the MiSTer SD Card Installer program and then the issue was solved for me. I have my MiSTer ready to run on different displays so my main ini is 1920 x 1080 and then I have an alt set for the custom settings of the ProArt. I don't know why it wouldn't work as the primary config, though. If it works as an alt ini, I'd expect it to do the same as the primary.

The only thing I could suggest is double check both the main MiSTer and the Linux backend are fully up to date but it sounds like you would have tried that already.
yaniko74

Unread post by yaniko74 »

PikWik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:08 am i am also in the camp of nostalgia for CRTs (i have a couple that i use with original consoles) but the upkeep, weight, and inevitable issues with them which require pricey/timely repairs has deterred me to find the best gaming computer monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... /under-200

that has a bunch of solid recommendations for reasonably priced gaming monitors,
and i just picked up the Acer Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx for $149 not too long ago.

i cannot say enough good things about the Nitro XF243Y. using it for the short time i have, it has sold me on using a computer monitor for my mister setup, vs a HDTV or CRT. i can run the mister in low lag mode on everything, and the Nitro XF243Y is at the top of the list when it comes to lowest input lag available from modern computer monitors, with .5ms response time and 9ms input lag tested
(https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/48931)

it has worked with everything ive thrown at it, from amiga @ 50hz, to the problematic section-z and double dragon refresh rates, and of course the 1st gen cave titles (dodonpachi) with their non-standard refresh rates.

colors are bright, pixels are sharp, the motion is instantaneous with zero ghosting, and imo the bang-for-the-buck is among the best for a 1080p computer monitor.

i wanted an expensive PVM/PBM or a VGA monitor from the 90s to be my main MiSTer monitor,
but after seeing how well this Acer Nitro has performed, and exceeded my expectations, im glad i didnt spend a small fortune on a PVM/PBM :)
I just buy this monitor and its not able to match some core refresh rate with low latency mode. Am i doing something wrong ?
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

yaniko74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:24 am I just buy this monitor and its not able to match some core refresh rate with low latency mode. Am i doing something wrong ?
Which monitor? The Nitro XF243Y you're quoting, or the ASUS PA248QV the thread's all about?

If you're talking about the later, then maybe double-check your HDMI cable, as mine syncs with everything I throw at it, to a T.
PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

yaniko74 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:24 am
PikWik wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:08 am i am also in the camp of nostalgia for CRTs (i have a couple that i use with original consoles) but the upkeep, weight, and inevitable issues with them which require pricey/timely repairs has deterred me to find the best gaming computer monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... /under-200

that has a bunch of solid recommendations for reasonably priced gaming monitors,
and i just picked up the Acer Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx for $149 not too long ago.

i cannot say enough good things about the Nitro XF243Y. using it for the short time i have, it has sold me on using a computer monitor for my mister setup, vs a HDTV or CRT. i can run the mister in low lag mode on everything, and the Nitro XF243Y is at the top of the list when it comes to lowest input lag available from modern computer monitors, with .5ms response time and 9ms input lag tested
(https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/table/48931)

it has worked with everything ive thrown at it, from amiga @ 50hz, to the problematic section-z and double dragon refresh rates, and of course the 1st gen cave titles (dodonpachi) with their non-standard refresh rates.

colors are bright, pixels are sharp, the motion is instantaneous with zero ghosting, and imo the bang-for-the-buck is among the best for a 1080p computer monitor.

i wanted an expensive PVM/PBM or a VGA monitor from the 90s to be my main MiSTer monitor,
but after seeing how well this Acer Nitro has performed, and exceeded my expectations, im glad i didnt spend a small fortune on a PVM/PBM :)
I just buy this monitor and its not able to match some core refresh rate with low latency mode. Am i doing something wrong ?
hey there!

if youre talking about the Acer Nitro XF243Y Pbmiiprx, its my goto monitor and is in low lag for every single core i play

i still stand by that monitor as a fantastic buy, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone else looking for a 24" computer monitor to run your mister in low lag. it has superb motion with no ghosting, and as low input lag as technology can get at ~60hz.
its LED too, so low power consuming and doesnt heat up

but to go back to your question. it would help to know which cores you were having trouble with, and also what your mister.ini looks like