Three outputs?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
at0micgarden

Three outputs?

Unread post by at0micgarden »

Hello folks, first time posting.

I have the MiSTer connected to an LCD screen via HDMI and also a PVM via VGA to BNC cable. Everything is working well.

I am wondering if I can also connect a VGA monitor through some other direct means, while also keeping the other two displays connected? I'm guessing no - but any insight would be appreciated!
JaguarLV
Core Developer

Re: Three outputs?

Unread post by JaguarLV »

I have a similar setup. I use this HDMI splitter to send video to an LCD monitor and VGA monitor. The VGA monitor is connected using a HDMI to VGA adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXT1DQC
at0micgarden

Thanks - how does that work with the scaling?

Ideally the LCD screen would be a different res than the CRT monitor, and for the CRT monitor - I had to use scanline doubling when I had it connected over VGA.
at0micgarden

Actually, I would only have one screen on at a time - so this could be handled by swapping INI files, I'm sure....
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

By default INI settings, the HDMI and VGA outputs are separate and the "VGA" port has a 15khz signal that is compatible with PVMs.
If your CRT/VGA monitor supports 15khz, then all you need is a small VGA switch so you can select which display to use.

If your VGA display only supports 31khz then it is a bit more complex. Some cores (not sure if all) support force_scandoubler=1, which just doubles the resolution on the VGA and usually works with VGA displays. You would still need a separate INI file to switch from 15khz to 31khz, but the HDMI output resolution will remain separate. Most major cores (NES, SNES, etc) should support it.

If forced_scandoubler doesn't work with one core, then you need to use vga_scaler=1; this forces the resolution of the HDMI via the VGA port; which means your HDMI output would be affected to you won't be able to use HDMI at the same time (or forced to use a smaller resolution). So try force_scandoubler first.

It is possible in the INI file to set these settings per core, so you can mix and match setups.