HDMI stopped giving signal on TV

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Ryuoken

HDMI stopped giving signal on TV

Unread post by Ryuoken »

So recently my Mister's HDMI stopped working with my tv (Samsung RU7105 55 inch). When it happened it seemed to have fried that specific HDMI port on the TV (It doesn't work with anything anymore).

The strangest thing is that when I connect the Mister via HDMI to my computer monitor (a Gigabyte M27Q) everything works fine.

Has something like this happened to anyone before? Any Ideas on what's happening?

Thanks! :)
ExCyber

Re: HDMI stopped giving signal on TV

Unread post by ExCyber »

Unfortunately, "dead" HDMI ports seem to be somewhat common. I don't have a lot of direct experience with these problems, but from what I've heard the main kinds of failure are:

1) A firmware glitch causing a problem with the port's configuration. In some cases this can allegedly be fixed by resetting the TV to factory default settings, reinstalling firmware, or even just a full power cycle (i.e. leaving it completely disconnected from power for a minute or two).

2) Electrical damage to the port (e.g. static discharge). There's not a lot you can do about this unless you know someone who repairs TVs and can get a replacement for the failed chip or even the entire board. Even then, it's unlikely to be worth the cost.

3) Mechanical damage to the port (e.g. bent pins, broken PCB pads/traces). Like #2, this might be possible to repair but probably not worth it.
Ryuoken

Unread post by Ryuoken »

Thank you for your response.

It's a strange problem. Now I've been able to make the HDMI port of the DE10 nano trough an HDMI switch. And it seems to be working fine.

It still doesn't work when connected directly to the TV in any of the HDMI ports.
jandrogo

Unread post by jandrogo »

@Ryuoken sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but have you tried your monitor with 1920x1440 resolution in Mister?
I am interested upgrading my old monitor with the M27Q, but one of the “points to tick” is playing Mister in it’s vertical native resolution… and seems some 2560x1440 monitors doesn’t have 1920x1440 compatibility modes…
Ryuoken

Unread post by Ryuoken »

jandrogo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:33 pm @Ryuoken sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but have you tried your monitor with 1920x1440 resolution in Mister?
I am interested upgrading my old monitor with the M27Q, but one of the “points to tick” is playing Mister in it’s vertical native resolution… and seems some 2560x1440 monitors doesn’t have 1920x1440 compatibility modes…
Yes I have. It works fine on my M27Q, but still get no image trough hdmi on my samsung tv (1920x108060hz).
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Don't forget the nonsense with CEC in this thread. That is why a switcher can sometimes help (or other times, make things even worse.) Blocking the CEC path in one way or another is generally recommended.