Direct Video to Toshiba Arcade CRT test (RGBHV via D-Sub)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
80sArcadeKid

Direct Video to Toshiba Arcade CRT test (RGBHV via D-Sub)

Unread post by 80sArcadeKid »

I'm having some interesting artifacts on a 15khz arcade CRT in my Namco Exceleena 2 with original Toshiba tube but replaced (not by me) Wei-ya Tri-sync chassis. Now I haven't pulled the tube and chassis out (yet) but there is a D-Sub connector. Video from the JAMMA edge does not seem to work?

Anyway.... I wanted to see if my MiSTer could output the require D-sub signal to the chassis/tube.
I have the HDMI to VGA adapter and the only way I can get an OSSC or CRT to pick up a 15Khz signal is with:
composite_sync=0
direct_video=1

If I have composite_sync=1 I get no signal on the OSSC or the CRT.

Some cores just freak out the chassis completely and I have to quickly turn the thing off. Others run fine but a wired RGB colour blocks down the side (bottom on horizonal setup)

Here is a video of the issues, any insight into what is going on? I assume some cores just output a signal natively in direct video that the chassis does not like (DoDonPachi)
https://youtu.be/AbHW7xwm1hI

BTW: Mistercade incoming when they get made! ;)
80sArcadeKid

Re: Direct Video to Toshiba Arcade CRT test (RGBHV via D-Sub)

Unread post by 80sArcadeKid »

Are these bars part of the way the DE10 outputs direct video over the HDMI to VGA?
Because it's on almost every core.
RGB_bar_flciker.jpg
RGB_bar_flciker.jpg (221.87 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
paulbnl
Core Developer

Re: Direct Video to Toshiba Arcade CRT test (RGBHV via D-Sub)

Unread post by paulbnl »

I wouldn't worry about the DoDonpachi core. It has known analog video issues.

Those colored bars don't come from the DE10 Nano so it's likely to come from the HDMI-VGA adapter assuming you have connected other equipment to the monitor and haven't seen that issue before.

That you don't get a signal with composite_sync=1 is a bad sign assuming you have set the OSSC to RGBs instead of RGBHV. You might want to buy a better HDMI-VGA DAC. The Ugreen one should work well if they didn't change the internals by now.