MiSTer on my CRT TV *WOES*

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
steamybeast

MiSTer on my CRT TV *WOES*

Unread post by steamybeast »

Hello,

I'm fairly poor when it comes to this MiSTer and hoping someone can help.

Originally I had my MiSTer running on an old VGA monitor. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of it due to space. My next best solution, is to try and get the mister running on my CRT TV.

The TV is a Sony Trinitron KV-29CL10K 50hz PAL.

I thought it would be a simple case of buying a cable. I bought:

https://amigastore.eu/en/512-mist-scart ... rt-tv.html

However the best I have been able to do is get a black and white image.

On my TV I have a number of other PAL consoles connected that connected and work fine.

Heard something about Direct Video which may provide a solution. Tried my GF's HDMI to VGA adapter with no success.

Any help for a newb would be appreciated.

Regards
Swainy

Re: MiSTer on my CRT TV *WOES*

Unread post by Swainy »

Pretty sure that TV should be able to handle a 60khz signal, however if it is only PAL 50khz, try putting whatever cores you are using into PAL mode.

Edit* That TV should have two scart sockets. Have you tried both as only one of them is RGB enabled.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

This TV is definitely able to handle NTSC. The problem is most likely in your mister.ini file. Assuming you are using default .ini, for Direct Video you should set “direct_video=1” & “composite_sync=1" (not all of these DV dongles are guaranteed to work though).

I don't use I/O board so not quite sure, but perhaps just “composite_sync=1" would suffice.

It's not related to your current problem, but with this particular TV and cable you might have issues with some colours and cores, read: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=37054
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Correct, no direct video needed if you use the Analog I/O board. Also turn off sync on green on it. I've been using the same VGA to SCART cable.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

You should get a hdmi to vga adapter, direct video is effortless and just works, the io board can be tricky to configure right.

Delete your config file and enable direct video and composite sync ONLY. Then it will work.
steamybeast

Thank you for the help everyone. On holiday at the moment but will try when I get back.

Chris
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

akeley wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:14 pm This TV is definitely able to handle NTSC. The problem is most likely in your mister.ini file. Assuming you are using default .ini, for Direct Video you should set “direct_video=1” & “composite_sync=1" (not all of these DV dongles are guaranteed to work though).

I don't use I/O board so not quite sure, but perhaps just “composite_sync=1" would suffice.

It's not related to your current problem, but with this particular TV and cable you might have issues with some colours and cores, read: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=37054
I recently tried the MiSTer through a Axunworks RGB 2YC encoder and was wondering why the Hue was shifted waaaaaaay off. I had to adjust the Hue in the menu all the way to one end to get things looking sort of correct. I'm glad I came across this as I imagine the sync voltage level is the cause of my issue with the encoder and MiSTer.

Edit: Turns out that wasn't my issue. My colors were off due to the Sync on Green switch getting moved to On. I didn't notice as my primary monitor is a PVM that didn't care about the switch's position and would automatically take care of it. But still good to know about that potential issue.
SuperSpongo

Unread post by SuperSpongo »

So your TV has the FE-2 chassis inside which is capable of using the MiSTer in 60Hz.
I don't know the cable, but make sure that pin 16 of the Scart hat has the blanking voltage so that your TV switches to RGB mode.

The cable has to be wired correctly to utilize Pin 9 of the VGA port.

Finally and most importantly: Your IO board has to have the jumper "VGA PWR" populated and set to 3.3 oder 5V, depending on your cable. The jumper is located right behind the VGA port.

iobrd_5.5.jpg
iobrd_5.5.jpg (141.36 KiB) Viewed 1978 times

[1] - VGA Connector
[2] - 3.5mm Audio Jack with TOSLink
[3] - 3 Buttons and 3 Status LEDs
[4] - Secondary SD card (for some cores)
[5] - FAN for cooling the FPGA
[6] - Expansion connector (in the form of USB 3.0 connector, but it’s not USB!)
[7] - Additional connectors to integrate the MiSTer into cases
steamybeast

Swainy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:46 pm Pretty sure that TV should be able to handle a 60khz signal, however if it is only PAL 50khz, try putting whatever cores you are using into PAL mode.

Edit* That TV should have two scart sockets. Have you tried both as only one of them is RGB enabled.
Yes, this is me being an idiot. Plugged it into the other Scart Socket and it works. Thank you!
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

No worries mate, glad you got it working.