CRT display issues

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
car0den

CRT display issues

Unread post by car0den »

I got my MiSTer today, and I've been trying to set it up to run on my CRT. I'm getting a weird issue that I've recorded a video showing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9gdsit95Qg). I've tried running different settings in the .ini settings. My CRT doesn't have RGB input, if that matters.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: CRT display issues

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Would probably help if we knew how you are connecting your CRT to Mister...

If you're using a VGA->component breakout adapter, you need both ypbpr=1 in the ini and the SoG (sync on green) physical switch on the I/O board set to ON. If you got a different setup you should post it and maybe someone else can help.

Although I see a pink video with supergirl text in there??? Like its interference from another channel? Or is that some kind of supergirl branded CRT?
car0den

Unread post by car0den »

Oh, that makes sense. I'm using a VGA to RCA cable. I did try a VGA to RGB with that setting equal to 1, but I got a similar result (though all the holes in my TV are Red, White, Yellow). My SoG switch is set to AUTO, but I did switch it to OVR. The flickering effect was still occurring, so I'm not sure if that did anything. As for the Supergirl text, that is just it's default screen (https://www.buycott.com/upc/731398207459). So that's like if it was just flashing between a blue screen for other TVs.
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

If you pause the video you can see it is a SuperGirl theme CRT Television. Similar to many other themed TVs like Batman, Spongebob, Disney Princess, etc.

It is important to know how it is connected to this TV before anyone can really say how to fix it. It looks like sync is having an issue.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

car0den wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 am (though all the holes in my TV are Red, White, Yellow)
The yellow is for composite video, and the red and white are for audio. If you want to have quality video, you want a TV with component inputs. I am not sure how to hook up composite video with the MiSTer, but there might be a way.

Edit: There is this: https://www.misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=1122 If it was me, I would rather get a TV with component inputs.
car0den

Unread post by car0den »

Okay, that makes sense. It's just that my CRT can't do the proper display output that the mister is sending out. Till then, I'll just use it on my modern TV while looking for a replacement. Much appreciated.
MottZilla

Unread post by MottZilla »

If you look on the back of the TV for the model number it's possible to find the schematic. If you're lucky the TV might be possible to modify for RGB input. Many TVs are like that but not all of them. Some are very easy and others more difficult.