RetroArch-style shaders via add-on board?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
ferropop

RetroArch-style shaders via add-on board?

Unread post by ferropop »

Hi all, I think all HDMI users could all agree that the vast amount of talent and effort put into the RetroArch shaders offers incredibly high-value results that leave everything else in the dust comparatively.

Obviously RA shaders rely on a GPU which is not part of the MiSTer package, but I wonder if it might be technically possible to develop an add-on board that was purely dedicated to processing MiSTer's video through the LibRetro Video Processor core in RetroArch through a simple Linux build : https://docs.libretro.com/library/video_processor/

What about a Raspberry Pi dedicated to the above function, similar to using one for MT32-Pi?

Just ideas!
gamesfan

Re: RetroArch-style shaders via add-on board?

Unread post by gamesfan »

I understand what your asking and at least the rpi doesn’t allow for video pass through.
There are hardware scanline generators, and of course mister does have those or many options at least.
If this were possible the next step could even be using this other machine as a FRont end that could pass commands to the mister to launch a game ..

I don’t mind the minimal mister UI, but it isn’t easy for someone to simply use and there is no real way to hide settings we don’t want messes with. Plus box art, video snaps and game metadata look amazing on some emulationstation themes.

Maybe one day we could have the best of both worlds.
ferropop

I also enjoy the minimal interface, but am more interested in the incredible shaders that run at 4k+ resolutions and emulate the most intricate details of CRT TVs/PVMs. They offer such an incredible experience, a dedicated add-on seems like it would have a place in the community.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

High-end shaders require a lot of GPU juice to run at full speed. Doubt RPi could handle that, which is why it has a dedicated low-specs shader. And for lower-end ones you probably can achieve similar results already, using MiSTer's filters.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

I would love such a thing. I keep revisiting this libretro thread and wondering what could be some day...

https://forums.libretro.com/t/please-sh ... n-do/19193
ferropop

I just wonder how low-spec of a GPU you could get away with if it were purely dedicated to shader math?
Blitzwing

Re: RetroArch-style shaders via add-on board

Unread post by Blitzwing »

ferropop wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:14 pm I just wonder how low-spec of a GPU you could get away with if it were purely dedicated to shader math?
Not something that is very easy to test of course but I know that a launch Nintendo Switch running various 16bit emulators in RetroArch does a pretty good job with the ‘CRT-Royale’ shader in handheld mode which GPU wise is roughly the same power as a PS3 at least in GFLOPs anyway. I don’t know where a Pi4B sits in the stack but I can’t imagine it’d have much of an issue just running a shader.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

Honestly even just RPi's zfast scaler would be quite good enough IMHO (particularly the curved variant).
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

I would love to see something like this.

Getting a good CRT is not easy/cheap and the convenience to run the MiSTer output through a good quality filter would be great.

Fingers crossed some talented dev is also a big fan of CRT simulation ;)
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

Considering getting a retrotink at this point. The scanline effects are starting to look really good.

https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1 ... 0098128896
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

ferropop wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:53 pm Hi all, I think all HDMI users could all agree that the vast amount of talent and effort put into the RetroArch shaders offers incredibly high-value results that leave everything else in the dust comparatively.

Obviously RA shaders rely on a GPU which is not part of the MiSTer package, but I wonder if it might be technically possible to develop an add-on board that was purely dedicated to processing MiSTer's video through the LibRetro Video Processor core in RetroArch through a simple Linux build : https://docs.libretro.com/library/video_processor/

What about a Raspberry Pi dedicated to the above function, similar to using one for MT32-Pi?

Just ideas!
I think it would be possible but it would add more lag.
Catwalk9445

Unread post by Catwalk9445 »

This would be amazing and a huge step forward for the community.

There are dithering patterns in many systems for example that can't get blended with shadow masks and interpolation alone but can be done with retroarch shaders and the results are pretty impressive.

akator

Unread post by akator »

I think this is a very cool idea.

antibolo

Unread post by antibolo »

For what it's worth, the RetroTink 4K recently added MiSTer integration features.