Sony PVM - image is dark / washed out

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
mecono

Sony PVM - image is dark / washed out

Unread post by mecono »

The image looks dark and colors a bit washed out on my Sony PVM. I'm running the CPS2 core. The brightness and contrast are turned up on my PVM so that's not the problem.

I have read elsewhere that "gamma settings" can be used to help this, but I'm not sure where to find those or how they should be set.
darksakul

Re: Sony PVM - image is dark / washed out

Unread post by darksakul »

I would start watching the you tube channel Retro Tech https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOTvO ... x1PCrfmTKw
The guy there does CRT Repairs, specially Commercial broadcast monitors such as the Sony PVM.

Not always, but depending on the model some Commercial broadcast monitors are meant to be used in dark or dimly lit rooms.

I would also recommend to read/listen all safety warnings before messing inside of any CRT
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
mecono

Unread post by mecono »

Thanks but this is not a settings issue with my PVM. For example, if I play Neo Geo (real hardware) vs Neo Geo (MiSTer) the latter looks really washed out and dark.

I read on another post someone having a similar problem, the solution was to change "gamma" values on the MiSTer, I'm trying to find what that means
mecono

Unread post by mecono »

Ok I just figured it out. If you load the core, start a game, then press F12, navigate to "Gamma Correction" you can turn it on / off. You can also select a configuration file which will determine what turning on/off does. I selected Contrast_Boost/Constrast_Boost_1
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

mecono wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:31 am Thanks but this is not a settings issue with my PVM. For example, if I play Neo Geo (real hardware) vs Neo Geo (MiSTer) the latter looks really washed out and dark.

I read on another post someone having a similar problem, the solution was to change "gamma" values on the MiSTer, I'm trying to find what that means
You didn't specify how the PVM performed with ream hardware
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.