Video Output Out Of Sync

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
sbnr21

Video Output Out Of Sync

Unread post by sbnr21 »

I have my mister dual connected to a Sony crt via YPBBR COMPONENT cables and a hdmi to the lcd tv. On my crt I noticed the picture bouncing around - it look like it's out of sync or something because my sega dreamcast is hooked up to the same TV and the picture is fine.

My question is how do enter the video options on the mister and re-select YPBPR COMPONENT cables with the sync turned on?

Thanks
aberu
Core Developer

Re: Video Output Out Of Sync

Unread post by aberu »

You could connect the MiSTer directly to your network and edit the MiSTer.ini with an SSH connection, you could use WinSCP and edit the file from there, you could remove the MicroSD card and edit the MiSTer.ini there. There's lots of options. There is also an ini script in the scripts folder youc an run from the MiSTer menu where youc an toggle ypbpr, composite sync, and see if that helps.

What cable are you using for VGA to Component?
birdybro~
sbnr21

Unread post by sbnr21 »

I didn't notice because the picture keeps bouncing but it looks like on my crt with the mister turned on, it says: go to ini in the scripts and modify frame buffer terminal = 0
or enable on vga:
vga_scaler = 1

it's hard to read but I tried going into scripts > ini
to see if I can fix it but I'm not seeing those options. Sorry for my lack of details. I'm not that versed with misters options.

thanks
Attachments
20210909_170523_HDR.jpg
20210909_170523_HDR.jpg (3.91 MiB) Viewed 2085 times
20210909_170520_HDR.jpg
20210909_170520_HDR.jpg (4.48 MiB) Viewed 2085 times
sbnr21

Unread post by sbnr21 »

I fixed the bouncing picture.

Now my picture on my crt has this magenta tone dominating the colors for the picture. I double checked my cables and everything is in order. I tried searching in scripts > ini to see if there is an option for the colors, but I'm lost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

mister.ini has a setting ypbpr, you need to set that to =1 for component to eliminate the magenta.

You can get terminal/scripts working on 240p analog but I don't think the ini_settings script will work well? So you need another way to edit mister.ini. I would recommend plugging in any cheap monitor in the HDMI output at least for the purpose of setting up. You can also run scripts to set up samba or FTP to edit over the network, or you can just pop the SD card in and out.

I'm assuming the bouncing picture was related to Sync on Green, which is the standard sync for component (sync on luma, really.) There's a physical SoG switch that you have to toggle to turn it on.
sbnr21

Unread post by sbnr21 »

yes there was a switch and that helped.

When you hit F12 and left on the controller under the INFORMATION screen, there is a config: Main, Alt1 Alt2 Alt3. I switch it to Main. However, when I boot the mister using my crt, it's still magenta before it shifts back to normal colors and it didn't do that before. Also, I do have YPBPR enabled.

Any suggestions on how to correct it?

Thanks
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Its normal when using ypbpr for things to appear magenta for like a second or two after booting cores before switching back to normal. As long as it corrects itself quickly that is expected behavior. Whatever it means Sorgleig did call the ypbpr implementation a "hack."
sbnr21

Unread post by sbnr21 »

Thanks for the responses.