Is it compatible? [PAL 50Hz][CRT via SCART]

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
drpaneas

Is it compatible? [PAL 50Hz][CRT via SCART]

Unread post by drpaneas »

Hey folks, I found a Sony KV 14 LT 1 used CRT monitor and I am wondering if it would work fine with Mister so I can decide if it makes sense to buy it or not... FYI I don't have any CRT monitor at the moment. You can find the manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15962 ... =18#manual.

Being in Europe, the TV comes with RGB SCART input using PAL 50Hz.
MiSTer_Kirk

Re: Is it compatible? [PAL 50Hz][CRT via SCART]

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

I have a Sony FD Trinitron KV-14LT1U, and it didn't sync to any modeline I threw at it. It might need a very specific modeline, made for this particular TV, I don't know. I now use a Philips CM8833 Mk2.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I have a few KV sets and they all work but it depends on connecting method - some cores won't sync when I'm using a MiST cable, but are OK with VGA-SCART converter.

If you can get it for a reasonable price (~>40USD) I'd give it a go because it's a nice TV, much sought after these days.
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

It's a standard scart tv, of course it will work as long as you know what to put in the ini and what kind of scart cable you need.

PS All these TVs support Full ntsc as well which is what you want to use for the majority of systems
drpaneas

Unread post by drpaneas »

Well ... I found it at 150 EUR + extra cost for shipping, so I need to be certain before paying around ~200 EUR.

My plan is to use a VGA-SCART converter, yes, but the reason I am asking here in the forum is because I've read somewhere (I cannot find the source at the moment) that some Mister cores, do not work properly with PAL (50 Hz) via SCART, unless it's 60 Hz. This particular TV supports NTSC as well -- but not via SCART (RGB). It supports it only via Video-In (yellow), which kinda sucks quality-wise.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:00 pm It's a standard scart tv, of course it will work
It's not always a given, CRTS can be temperamental when it comes to connecting to modern solutions. Eg some Trinitrons might have a problems with colours, there were reports of B&O which just flat out refuse to work with MiSTer, and so on.

EDIT: 150 Euro? Gool Lord almighty. That's a scalper price, run away as fast as you can. You could probably find a small PVM for that. Smh...this market is really insane.

And shipping, nooo.. a golden rule: never buy a CRT you can't pick up yourself or got delivered by the seller and then checked. the risk of damag is just too big.
Duffygag

150 ??? Crazy price it's not a PVM doon't' buy it. I don't why you think it doesn't do 60hz via Scart, they all do unless it's something odd or ancient which is not the case here. Video in is video input such as scart.
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

I own a Sony KV14LT1E (German model) and it works fine with Mister. Both 50Hz and 60Hz picture is stable and the menu includes a setting to shift the RGB input horizontically, which is useful.

Please note that Trinitron sets do not like high voltage on the Sync signal, and you may need to add a resistor to your VGA->SCART cable. See https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=37468 for more detail.
Duffygag

akeley wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:20 pm
Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:00 pm It's a standard scart tv, of course it will work
It's not always a given, CRTS can be temperamental when it comes to connecting to modern solutions. Eg some Trinitrons might have a problems with colours, there were reports of B&O which just flat out refuse to work with MiSTer, and so on.
You just have to know how to make an appropriate cable (use resistors if needed check voltages etc etc), Mister output standard resolutions and refreshes.

I have tried 3 different B&O and they all wroked perfectly
mapf

Unread post by mapf »

drpaneas wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:16 pm Well ... I found it at 150 EUR + extra cost for shipping, so I need to be certain before paying around ~200 EUR.

My plan is to use a VGA-SCART converter, yes, but the reason I am asking here in the forum is because I've read somewhere (I cannot find the source at the moment) that some Mister cores, do not work properly with PAL (50 Hz) via SCART, unless it's 60 Hz. This particular TV supports NTSC as well -- but not via SCART (RGB). It supports it only via Video-In (yellow), which kinda sucks quality-wise.
150€ is ridiculous, do not pay that much. The set has SCART and like many Euro TVs will accept RGB in 50 and 60 Hz. PAL/NTSC does not matter for RGB inputs, only 50/60 Hz does. You need a VGA->Scart cable like this: https://manuferhi.com/p/cable-rgb-scart ... -n-go-next
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:23 pm Mister output standard resolutions and refreshes.
Not always, which is why there are problems with some cores. And we're talking about 20-30 year old analogue tech, so even if something works for you it might be different for another, even regarding the same set.

Overall, MiSter is the best CRT solution out there at teh mmoment, but it's not exactly always working-out-of-the-box experience.
Swainy

Unread post by Swainy »

Not only is it compatible (I use one) but it’s also 60hz compatible so you can run systems such as the NES & SNES ect at the speed that they were intended to run at.
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

Should work fine for the majority of cores with composite_sync=1 and direct_video=1 (or direct_video=0 if you're using an analogue I/O board) in your MiSTer.ini. No need to mess around with the scaler and modelines except for cores which force the scaler or cores which don't output native 15Khz at all.

One thing is that you may find you get messed up colours on this model, in which case you'll need to add a 1k resistor to the sync line of your SCART cable.
Duffygag

akeley wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:33 pm
Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:23 pm Mister output standard resolutions and refreshes.
Not always, which is why there are problems with some cores. And we're talking about 20-30 year old analogue tech, so even if something works for you it might be different for another, even regarding the same set.

Overall, MiSter is the best CRT solution out there at teh mmoment, but it's not exactly always working-out-of-the-box experience.
Looks like you are saying random banality/cliche' without any background knowledge, So I'll stop here :)

Have a nice week end everyone !
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 pm Looks like you are saying random banality/cliche' without any background knowledge, So I'll stop here :)
That's quite a rich statement, judging by your posts ITT :) Anyway, I'm sorry I spoiled your fairytale "everything is wonderful and just works" narrative, but I'd actually like to see all MiSTer's CRT-related snags resolved eventually , and also help others to avoid some common stumbling blocks. And that's what the majority of my posts on this board regards. Not really interested in pointless cheerleading, and even less so in arguing about it.

But since it's all so perfect, perhaps you can demonstrate how to display the likes of Acorn Atom/Archimedes or ao486 in their native way on a CRT without any problems? I'd really appreciate that (no, seriously).
MiSTer_Kirk

Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 pm So I'll stop here :)
I would. You CLEARLY don't know what you are talking about. Like I said, my Sony FD Trinitron KV-14LT1U does NOT work with the Mister, and I have tried all the modelines I can throw at it - it simply won't sync. Yet, connect up my Philips, same ini, same modelines, same connectors, and it works straight away.
lister_of_smeg

Unread post by lister_of_smeg »

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:35 pm
Duffygag wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:37 pm So I'll stop here :)
I would. You CLEARLY don't know what you are talking about. Like I said, my Sony FD Trinitron KV-14LT1U does NOT work with the Mister, and I have tried all the modelines I can throw at it - it simply won't sync. Yet, connect up my Philips, same ini, same modelines, same connectors, and it works straight away.
Why are you using modelines when setting composite_sync=1 should suffice? I only ask because I have no problem with the vast majority of cores using this setup with my 14LT1U. Only stuff that forces the VGA scaler or doesn't output a 15Khz horizontal scan doesn't work with it.
MiSTer_Kirk

Like I said, I have thrown everything at it, INCLUDING modelines. It just won't sync to anything, even the menu.
Yet, unplug it, plug in my Sony 9" PVM, then my 14" Sony PVM, my Philips 8833 Mk1 and Mk2, all work, same ini, same cables.
Even weirder, the KV-14LT1U works with all my REAL hardware. SNES, NES, Megadrive, PC Engine, etc.. all using RGB Scart, except the NES which uses composite. It also works perfectly with RF hardware like the 2600, 7800, zx81, etc..
I mean, the OP is about to pay way way over the odds for this TV, and I guess he wants as many replies as he can get. I got my KV-14LT1U for free!! A neighbour told me his son was throwing one out, and I went to his home and picked it up. Would never pay 150 - 200 for it. Hell, wouldn't even pay 25 for it. Not worth it.
Duffygag

That's a lot of text for saying I don't know how to wire my Mister scart cable for this TV :lol: