Best settings for Monitor

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
neogeo81

Best settings for Monitor

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Hi

I got 2 old 4:3 TFT Monitors from where i work and i was wondering what the best Video output settings would be?

Model Acer AL1917
Resolution 1280x1024
Input VGA
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Re: Best settings for Monitor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I mean it's right there in the video mode list right? Video mode 4, 1280x1024.... but wouldn't that make these technically 5:4 monitors? I'm assuming square pixels for an LCD...

If you are connecting VGA directly from the analog I/O board to your monitor, also set vga_scaler=1.

For popular cores you might make sure vscale_mode=0, then you can adjust the scaling option in the core's HUD to cycle through integer scaling modes, and combine that with scanline filters or sharp interpolation, see which you like best.
neogeo81

I found the settings and you are right that it is 5:4. Still better fitting than 16:9.

What i cant get working is scanlines. The normal scanlines just darken the screen and the 2x res scanlines arent even. Is there a good scanlines filter for my resolution?
DevilHunterWolf

Unread post by DevilHunterWolf »

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm I found the settings and you are right that it is 5:4. Still better fitting than 16:9.

What i cant get working is scanlines. The normal scanlines just darken the screen and the 2x res scanlines arent even. Is there a good scanlines filter for my resolution?
Are you looking at the Scandoubler FX or the Video Filters section? The Scandoubler FX is limited in what's available but the Video Filters has a lot more options. By their nature, scanlines are going to darken the screen because half the screen is essentially not displaying. It's those alternating on and off lines that give it that signature look. But that's where the Video Filters can help out. Soft scanlines, sharp scanlines, lighter or darker lines, brighter picture to offset them, basically whatever combination you're looking for. Scandoubler FX is limited to just one pixel smoothing option and 3 scanline options. The benefit of the Scandouble FX is it works on all modes. The video filters only work over HDMI or if you have the scaler turned on for VGA (the previously mentioned vga_scaler=1 setting).

Make sure you've got the scaler enabled and check out the video filters. Also, scanlines can look a little off if you're not using integer scaling. If the image is stretched, the scanlines can make an odd wavey effect that's especially noticeable in bright colors. It may not bother some people, but it's something to keep in mind if you're looking for a more accurate representation.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Make sure video_mode=4, vga_scaler=1, forced_scandoubler=0, vscale_mode=1. Also make sure scandoublerfx in the core's menu is none. Then the scanline scaling filters should at least do something (darken every other line only.)
neogeo81

DevilHunterWolf wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:21 am
neogeo81 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:38 pm I found the settings and you are right that it is 5:4. Still better fitting than 16:9.

Are you looking at the Scandoubler FX or the Video Filters section? The Scandoubler FX is limited in what's available but the Video Filters has a lot more options. By their nature, scanlines are going to darken the screen because half the screen is essentially not displaying. It's those alternating on and off lines that give it that signature look. But that's where the Video Filters can help out. Soft scanlines, sharp scanlines, lighter or darker lines, brighter picture to offset them, basically whatever combination you're looking for. Scandoubler FX is limited to just one pixel smoothing option and 3 scanline options. The benefit of the Scandouble FX is it works on all modes. The video filters only work over HDMI or if you have the scaler turned on for VGA (the previously mentioned vga_scaler=1 setting).

Make sure you've got the scaler enabled and check out the video filters. Also, scanlines can look a little off if you're not using integer scaling. If the image is stretched, the scanlines can make an odd wavey effect that's especially noticeable in bright colors. It may not bother some people, but it's something to keep in mind if you're looking for a more accurate representation.
i got all that thanks. Still normal scanlines dont show lines, only darkens the screen
neogeo81

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:34 am Make sure video_mode=4, vga_scaler=1, forced_scandoubler=0, vscale_mode=1. Also make sure scandoublerfx in the core's menu is none. Then the scanline scaling filters should at least do something (darken every other line only.)
They do, but they only darkens the screen and i dont see any lines. It only shows lines when i use the 2x HD scanlines option.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Maybe you are using a "high-resolution" core? You need to do at least a 3x vertical scale for scanline filters to work properly, and that's only going to be easy on your display with 240p cores. That's also why you need the scandoubler off because otherwise the analog output becomes 480p before scaling. Try something simple like NES or Genesis. Stuff like AO486, Amiga RTG, or vector graphics can be tricky.
neogeo81

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:26 am Maybe you are using a "high-resolution" core? You need to do at least a 3x vertical scale for scanline filters to work properly, and that's only going to be easy on your display with 240p cores. That's also why you need the scandoubler off because otherwise the analog output becomes 480p before scaling. Try something simple like NES or Genesis. Stuff like AO486, Amiga RTG, or vector graphics can be tricky.
I did try them. Mainly the issue was with CPS1 SFII. The normal scanlines wont show lines and the H2X Scanlines have the wavy effect.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

If you copied the settings I mentioned you shouldn't be running into that issue with CPS1. Make sure those lines only appear once in the ini, they are spread out by default and if they show up more than once its going to use whichever is closest to the bottom. Also make sure video_mode_ntsc / video_mode_pal are commented out (; at start of line), you don't need them for now.