9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
MiSTer_Kirk

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

limi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:16 pm It’s the LP097QX1 display with the VS-RTD09703-V1 driver board. We did lag testing, this is the sub-1-frame board.

The only reason I mentioned it earlier was that there’s always a risk that they run out of boards and put in something else, but for $60 fully assembled, it’s a risk worth taking. Everyone I know that got this one so far had the exact same panel and driver board.
But that is the board I purchased in the link above. From that link, it says the following.
Packing list 1× HDMI LCD Controller Board VS-RTD09703-V1,1× Converter Board,1× Signal Cable,1× Keyboard With Cable
That clearly says VS-RTD09703-V1, and yet it doesn't give me a picture in PAL cores, such the Amiga, AtariST, C64 PAL Mode, ZX Spectrum, etc... And I have tried ALL ini files from this forum. Perhaps, you could upload your ini you are using for your ipad screen ?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:35 pm Perhaps, you could upload your ini you are using for your ipad screen ?
I already linked them. Sorry it doesn’t work for you. 50hz should work with the VS-RTD09703-V1, I checked with a friend that has one. And I *did* mix up the two boards, this one has a different model number, but I don’t have the number handy (and I don’t want to open up the display).

Maybe see if any of the Discords can help you troubleshoot? Forums are a bit tedious for that sort of thing. I didn’t have to do any particular ini setup to make it work, but there are of course a lot of variables in the ini file. Start with a fresh Alt ini file and see if something like the following mode line works? And this should really be a separate thread since it’s not related to this combination of boards/screens.

Code: Select all

video_mode_pal=2048,48,32,80,1350,3,10,19,183087
This is what I use for Amiga PAL at the moment, but I’m still experimenting with making it fill more of the screen (since Amiga has offsets, overscan, etc)
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

And this should really be a separate thread since it’s not related to this combination of boards/screens.
While I agree, I do think it's right that the advice on this forum is for the correct board + serial number, or many will be disappointed when they buy one, and it doesn't do PAL 50hz.

Thanks for the video mode, I will see if it's the same as mine.
epistaxis

Unread post by epistaxis »

limi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 am it comes with a Chinese language OSD, but can be switched to English if you know which entry it is; ships with a mini-HDMI cable that can’t handle the full resolution. 😊
Can you share this knowledge?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Trigger the OSD → Select the [OSD] section (it’s an icon) → Select the first entry, which is the language selector → push up or down.

Update: A year later, there’s a USB-C variant that seems to have a different menu structure, see later in this thread: viewtopic.php?p=69749#p69749

hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

@limi you have the hdmi + vga version or the double mini hdmi one? did you test how well it handles other resolution like 480p, 720p, 1080p etc.?
epistaxis

limi wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:23 am This does assume that you are *not* using an inline switch, since the voltage drop from that is too much. Using a splitter for USB board + DE-10 is fine, however.
Thanks for the OSD input. For this info quoted here, are you saying if we use this (https://misteraddons.com/products/in-line-power-switch) that we won't be able to use the USB board for power? We would need to get a splitter without the switch? Thanks.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

epistaxis wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:12 pm Thanks for the OSD input. For this info quoted here, are you saying if we use this (https://misteraddons.com/products/in-line-power-switch) that we won't be able to use the USB board for power? We would need to get a splitter without the switch? Thanks.
In my case, the switch was separate from the splitter, and I needed to remove the switch to get it working. I did not get my switch from MiSTerAddons, though — so that one may or may not be better at maintaining the voltage.

I wanted to include it here as something to be aware of if you want to power it from the MiSTer. If it doesn’t work, it might be necessary to not have a switch involved. (Not a big deal since I leave my MiSTer plugged in at all times, it only draws 5-7W anyway)
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

hooxxx wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 am @limi you have the hdmi + vga version or the double mini hdmi one? did you test how well it handles other resolution like 480p, 720p, 1080p etc.?
As mentioned, I have the 2×mini-HDMI version, since it is substantially thinner, and can be powered over USB.

You wouldn’t use those resolutions, as they are 16:9 aspect ratio (and this is a 4:3 screen), but it handles them — e.g. when I boot into my “TV” setup that is 1080p, it does display (and shrink) the menu screen to fit. The 4:3/16:9 selectors in the screen’s OSD don’t seem to make a difference in the output in that case, i.e. I don’t get letterboxing, but stretching instead. I haven’t experimented too much with that, since all the cores are 4:3 anyway, so that’s what you want.
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

limi wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:14 pm
hooxxx wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 am @limi you have the hdmi + vga version or the double mini hdmi one? did you test how well it handles other resolution like 480p, 720p, 1080p etc.?
As mentioned, I have the 2×mini-HDMI version, since it is substantially thinner, and can be powered over USB.

You wouldn’t use those resolutions, as they are 16:9 aspect ratio (and this is a 4:3 screen), but it handles them — e.g. when I boot into my “TV” setup that is 1080p, it does display (and shrink) the menu screen to fit. The 4:3/16:9 selectors in the screen’s OSD don’t seem to make a difference in the output in that case, i.e. I don’t get letterboxing, but stretching instead. I haven’t experimented too much with that, since all the cores are 4:3 anyway, so that’s what you want.
thanks for the reply! shame it stretches 16:9 content but oh well :lol: how about 480p (4:3) does it look good on it? how well does it scale lower resolution 4:3 in general? and my last question is interlaced content (480i mainly) - does it work?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

hooxxx wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:28 pm thanks for the reply! shame it stretches 16:9 content but oh well :lol: how about 480p (4:3) does it look good on it? how well does it scale lower resolution 4:3 in general? and my last question is interlaced content (480i mainly) - does it work?
What are you trying to do? 😊

The point of this screen is to give you extremely high resolutions, so you can do integer scaling, scan lines, and the experimental slot mask CRT emulation etc while still keeping everything crisp and responsive. You wouldn’t run this in 480p, that’s throwing away most of the advantages (maybe except for the latency). Or are you wondering whether it will accept things like Dreamcast’s 480px VGA output? (In which case, the answer is yes, it does)
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Hi.
Did the seller declared it as the full price when shipping?
I'm asking because it's common on aliexpress to declare things as $5 total. (and this is good!)

BTW I've tested one card with vga and hdmi and it won't handle vga 480p.
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

Does anybody know of a case for somebody who already has the screen and board?

I've been looking at the LaserBear 3D case but I don't like the large CRT version. They are creating a tablet-shape (like the one from this product) but it might be a while.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

sonik wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:06 am Did the seller declared it as the full price when shipping?
I have no idea, sorry. Didn’t get stuck in customs or anything where I live.
BTW I've tested one card with vga and hdmi and it won't handle vga 480p.
Here are two photos of it connected to a Dreamcast and to an old PC, respectively:
969A6815-2414-41C4-B6E5-896D612F1D4F.jpeg
969A6815-2414-41C4-B6E5-896D612F1D4F.jpeg (236.98 KiB) Viewed 111217 times
72621CC8-5B04-43AB-A789-29080E3C208D.jpeg
72621CC8-5B04-43AB-A789-29080E3C208D.jpeg (251.56 KiB) Viewed 111217 times
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

limi wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:47 pm
hooxxx wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:28 pm thanks for the reply! shame it stretches 16:9 content but oh well :lol: how about 480p (4:3) does it look good on it? how well does it scale lower resolution 4:3 in general? and my last question is interlaced content (480i mainly) - does it work?
What are you trying to do? 😊

The point of this screen is to give you extremely high resolutions, so you can do integer scaling, scan lines, and the experimental slot mask CRT emulation etc while still keeping everything crisp and responsive. You wouldn’t run this in 480p, that’s throwing away most of the advantages (maybe except for the latency). Or are you wondering whether it will accept things like Dreamcast’s 480px VGA output? (In which case, the answer is yes, it does)
Obviously I will be using it mainly for Mister but I would also like to try Dreamcast and windows 98/xp era gaming (1024x768 should scale perfectly x2).
I mean it's a neat little 4:3 screen so why limit yourself to only pixel perfect resolution? :lol:
I wonder if 480i will work? I have ps2 with a hdmi adapter and it did work with a 1080p 13 inch screen from Ali that I had but it stretched the image to fill 16:9 ratio (most ps2 games are 4:3)
experimental slot mask CRT emulation
please tell me more
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

sofakng wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:30 am Does anybody know of a case for somebody who already has the screen and board?

I've been looking at the LaserBear 3D case but I don't like the large CRT version. They are creating a tablet-shape (like the one from this product) but it might be a while.
Where do you live? I 3d printed one that Sigismond0 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4721767, cost me about £25 from Craftcloud.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Wow! Good to know that some models works with 480p.
Gaor

Unread post by Gaor »

sofakng wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:30 am Does anybody know of a case for somebody who already has the screen and board?

The same seller sells a case for the VGA version (only): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003026843618.html
epistaxis

limi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:42 am I’m currently using atrac17’s presets, specifically the 6× integer scale ones, with the addition of some experimental resolutions for the Amiga core (since that one is a bit more…complex).

Before that, I just used the built-in support for this screen’s 1536p resolution in MiSTer, and just set it to video_mode=13, which worked great as well.
In your atrac17 6x integer scale ini, do you set video_mode to 13 on that as well? Also, you said yours came with speakers but a lot of the reviews are saying speakers aren't included. Did you happen to note what kind of speakers are in there and if there are any off the shelf parts to do that ourselves with if necessary? Thanks for all the help.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

epistaxis wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:55 pm In your atrac17 6x integer scale ini, do you set video_mode to 13 on that as well?
No, only for the cores that are not included in the 6× settings.
Also, you said yours came with speakers but a lot of the reviews are saying speakers aren't included. Did you happen to note what kind of speakers are in there and if there are any off the shelf parts to do that ourselves with if necessary? Thanks for all the help.
I have no idea (and I don’t really want to open it up to check). The speakers are nothing special, but they are convenient.
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

snoot wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:09 pmWhere do you live? I 3d printed one that Sigismond0 https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4721767, cost me about £25 from Craftcloud.
Thanks! I did see that one but it doesn't include holes for the speakers. I'm a beginner a 3D modeling (simple cases/boxes, PSU mounts) but I don't think I have to skill to add them unfortunately. Also, my Ender 3 printer is just a tiny bit too small to print it. :(
Gaor wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:49 pmThe same seller sells a case for the VGA version (only): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003026843618.html
This looks interesting. I'll contact them and see if they have the case for the HDMI version. (I already purchased the driver board and screen so I'd rather not purchase another [VGA] driver) Thank you!
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

Do the brightness controls work for you, limi?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Vespa wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:54 pm Do the brightness controls work for you, limi?
No, they do not.
spr0ches

Unread post by spr0ches »

Thank you for the tip limi ! I placed an order a couple days ago after seeing this thread.

I've been thinking about using an iPad screen for my MISTer setup for a while now, but was a bit turned off by having to build the thing myself, so this is perfect :)
It will be cool to have a smaller screen that can also be an alternative to my consumer CRT.

For those of you wondering about the speaker situation, I reached out to the seller and asked.
Apparently all units sold since September come equipped with a speaker, which is really nice even if the speaker might not be all that great.
I will update once I receive my unit if it turns out the speaker is still missing.
Gaor

Unread post by Gaor »

I received my screen from seller "GIVIFENI Store". Pretty good quality, the screen does not move in its support. It is powered without problem via micro USB directly on the USB hub powered (with a splitter) by a 5V 4A power supply with a 2.5" HDD and a Wi-Fi adapter attached (unlike what sorgelig says in another topic, a 12V minimum is not needed to have the max brightness). You can't change the brightness via the OSD but you can change the contrast and the color tone (cold, warm, standard).

My screen doesn't hold the sync in vsync_adjust=2 on GB and GBA cores so I switched them to 1. No problem with SNES/Genesis cores (I'm missing many cores to test). The best resolution I found to have a clean LCD filter effect for the GBA core is:

[gba]
video_mode=1920,48,32,80,1280,3,10,24,164362
vsync_adjust=1
But I think there's something wrong with GBA core in that resolution. It seems that it's not running at 60 FPS... That's weird. I should retest on my 1080p monitor with the classic video_mode=8. Or maybe it's the GBA itself which had that feeling. I can't blame the core as FPGAzumSpass is probably one of the best coder in this community.

Resolution is so high that even with vscale_mode=0, image quality is impressive. I chose vscale_mode=3 to have something a little bit cleaner.

Oh, I almost forgot: the screen was pretty dirty on unpacking and I needed to rub it with eyeglass cleaner (?) (sorry, Im French). AND there are imperfections on the surface of the screen as well as a scratch that is quite visible when you look at the screen turned off in the light. Fortunately, you can't see anything once you turn it on. So, if we are perhaps on an iPad 3 panel, we are clearly not on the Apple requirement in terms of manufacturing process. :D

Sound through jack is very clean with my headphones (with dvi_mode=0) and you can control volume easily.
sv650touring

Unread post by sv650touring »

Can anyone confirm the exact width of this monitor? The listing says 223mm, which is right on the verge of being able to squeeze into an iCade... other than the ports.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Gaor wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:12 pm I received my screen from seller "GIVIFENI Store". Pretty good quality, the screen does not move in its support. It is powered without problem via micro USB directly on the USB hub powered (with a splitter) by a 5V 4A power supply with a 2.5" HDD and a Wi-Fi adapter attached (unlike what sorgelig says in another topic, a 12V minimum is not needed to have the max brightness). You can't change the brightness via the OSD but you can change the contrast and the color tone (cold, warm, standard).

My screen doesn't hold the sync in vsync_adjust=2 on GB and GBA cores so I switched them to 1. No problem with SNES/Genesis cores (I'm missing many cores to test). The best resolution I found to have a clean LCD filter effect for the GBA core is:

[gba]
video_mode=1920,48,32,80,1280,3,10,24,164362
vsync_adjust=1
But I think there's something wrong with GBA core in that resolution. It seems that it's not running at 60 FPS... That's weird. I should retest on my 1080p monitor with the classic video_mode=8. Or maybe it's the GBA itself which had that feeling. I can't blame the core as FPGAzumSpass is probably one of the best coder in this community.

Resolution is so high that even with vscale_mode=0, image quality is impressive. I chose vscale_mode=3 to have something a little bit cleaner.

Oh, I almost forgot: the screen was pretty dirty on unpacking and I needed to rub it with eyeglass cleaner (?) (sorry, Im French). AND there are imperfections on the surface of the screen as well as a scratch that is quite visible when you look at the screen turned off in the light. Fortunately, you can't see anything once you turn it on. So, if we are perhaps on an iPad 3 panel, we are clearly not on the Apple requirement in terms of manufacturing process. :D

Sound through jack is very clean with my headphones (with dvi_mode=0) and you can control volume easily.
Did you get the 2 mini HDMI version?
I'm French as well, and the order is suppose to arrive anyday now. Hopefully the screen is gonna be in good shape.
Why aren't your running the GBA core at 1536p? Is it out of spec? I've never tried before, so just curious.
Anyway amuses-toi bien :mrgreen:
Gaor

Unread post by Gaor »

Neocaron wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:23 am Did you get the 2 mini HDMI version?
I'm French as well, and the order is suppose to arrive anyday now. Hopefully the screen is gonna be in good shape.
Why aren't your running the GBA core at 1536p? Is it out of spec? I've never tried before, so just curious.
Yes, 2 mini HDMI version. I guess that the seller removes the protective film from the screens before mounting them in their frame, which explains the (micro-)scratches.

I tested the GBA core in 1536p (with video_mode=13) and the LCD filter effect was ugly. :? This is why I tested some other modes and ended with this good one (6x Integer Scale on https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_Integer_Modelines).

Si tu trouves de meilleurs modes, merci de faire signe. ;)
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Gaor wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:28 pm
Neocaron wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:23 am Did you get the 2 mini HDMI version?
Yes, 2 mini HDMI version. I guess that the seller removes the protective film from the screens before mounting them in their frame, which explains the (micro-)scratches.

I tested the GBA core in 1536p (with video_mode=13) and the LCD filter effect was ugly. :? This is why I tested some other modes and ended with this good one (6x Integer Scale on https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_Integer_Modelines).

Si tu trouves de meilleurs modes, merci de faire signe. ;)
Got mine today! Screen looks superbe, not a single scratch! I was a bit worried after your comment, I looked in the reviews, and some complained about that as well. But at the end all is well. It looks fantastic! I haven't had the time to try it with my Mister, but I'm pretty surprised by the quality of the unit. It does look like there is some dice rolling going on though, since not everyone seem to be getting the same screen quality.

I'll do some extensive test and let you know how it goes! Pour le filtre lcd, je teste de mon côté et on en reparle :D
Hylian Peasant

Unread post by Hylian Peasant »

Neocaron wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:15 pm
Got mine today! Screen looks superbe, not a single scratch! I was a bit worried after your comment, I looked in the reviews, and some complained about that as well. But at the end all is well. It looks fantastic! I haven't had the time to try it with my Mister, but I'm pretty surprised by the quality of the unit. It does look like there is some dice rolling going on though, since not everyone seem to be getting the same screen quality.

I'll do some extensive test and let you know how it goes! Pour le filtre lcd, je teste de mon côté et on en reparle :D
Hello there.

This is beginning to look like the French Connection (I am also a baguette eater).
Was lurking this post because I'm interested by the topic. I already sourced a screen from AliExpress but didn't got luck with 50Hz game (no video input detected...).
Please can you test a 50 Hz ROM on your display and let us know of the result. I'm interested to purchase this screen if it really can display 50 Hz sources.
The more who confirm, the more likely we will get the same.

Thanks guys

*** affiche-toi bon sang de bois :cry: