9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Neocaron

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by Neocaron »

So I finally tried it with the very bad HDMI cable provided (I had to try I know... the one I order won't be there before Wednesday) and it doesn't work with the Mister at any resolution so you are warned. It did work with my laptop though. So I was able to make sure the screen was working. The sound is serviceable to be honest, I expected worse. The image quality at native resolution is absolutely amazing, however a basic 1080p upscaled made my PC dekstop looks terrible. This is MEANT to be use at native resolution or with proper scaling. I had some light bleed at the top of screen, but other than that the screen is perfect. The different port feel very rough, so I'm probably gonna keep all the cables in and attached them to the back of it to prevent damaging them.

I went through the options, put them back in English and if you are interested in having a bright good looking picture while using the 5v usb option, choose the FPS mode for picture quality. It was clearly the best. I played some Doom Eternal on it, at NAtive resolution and it looked and feel... :mrgreen:

I noticed that th screen is compatible HDR for some reason, when the option is turned on, but the hdmi cable given is not compatible, so I couldn't try it on my computer... Is it a 10bit panel? How old is this tablet exactly? That felt pretty wrong to see the option, but I'm gonna try it for real once I have a proper cable. Was the IPad HDR in the first place?

Anyway, so far so good! Nothing can beat the price. I'm gonna try a lot of odd framerates once I have my new hdmi cable to see how far I can push it. :twisted:
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

Is there a bigger Version of this display (or similar) available? I am looking for something in size 12'-13'.

Thanks,
Ray
Gaor

Unread post by Gaor »

I made more tests and it appears my previous setting for GBA core is not OK. I'm speaking of this one:

Code: Select all

[gba]
video_mode=1920,48,32,80,1280,3,10,24,164362
vsync_adjust=1
This setting causes the entire screen to be used even with vscale_mode=1 (use integer scale only). Which I can't explain since 1920/1280 = 1.5 and 1.5 is the correct ratio of a GBA screen (240/160 = 1.5). Instead, this mode utilizes all the Retina screen which is 2048/1536 = 1.33. Shouldn't we have black bars at the top and bottom, if we use integer scale mode?

To have the good 1.5 ratio, you should leave video_mode=13 and "Original" in the video option of the core ("Fullscreen" makes image a little wider in height, with black bars, which is not a correct ratio as well).
Yim

Unread post by Yim »

I think it’s using the full screen because the video mode you’re using is an integer multiple of the GBA resolution. The MiSTer is putting out a 1920x1280 picture, which is an 8x multiple of the core resolution so it’s completely filled, and the screen is upscaling it to 2048x1536. I don’t have one of these screens yet so I don’t know if there’s a way to turn off upscaling and have it display only the image as received, but otherwise if you want the black bars you’ll need a video mode that includes them in the picture the MiSTer is outputting.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Yes the thing you need to do is still output the panel's native resolution (2048x1536), and instead use the vscale_border option to force black space. If its 1280 height you want, then it should be 1536-1280=256 , 256/2 = 128 for the vscale_border. You might have to set vscale_mode=0 to use the border.

That said the core has an HV integer scale option, shouldn't that already give the same result at 1920 wide vs 2048? You might again have to set vscale_mode=0
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

I don’t even need this!

*purchases 2x mini hdmi version*

DAMN YOU!
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

Neocaron wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:04 pm How old is this tablet exactly?
I keep seeing “iPad 3” screen referenced in comments and even some videos on the topic, which is misleading. According to the Laserbear enclosure page, it’s actually an iPad Air 3 screen that is required. (Big difference, as the first was released in 2012, while the second came out in 2019!)

I almost got caught by this misinformation as I was about to take apart an old iPad 3 I had to use the screen, and luckily caught my mistake before destroying it.

EDIT: It turns out that the Laserbear page actually has the incorrect info, the panel should indeed be for iPad 3/4.
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

iPad Air 3 is a 10.5" Screen. The iPad 3 is a 9.7" Screen. This is what I am using, and what the topic is about.
Lightwave

Interesting, so you are saying the info on this page is incorrect?

https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products ... 7-lcd-case
You will need to source a iPad Air 3/4 LCD and driver board
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Click on one of the links on the Laser Bear page, search on the internet the model number and see for yourself.
Lightwave

Yes, it appears that it is the Laserbear page that is incorrect, thanks for the clarification.

I’ll email Greg to let him know of this error, so others won’t be confused as I was.

At least now I know I own a spare panel in case there is an issue with the monitor from this thread I just ordered.
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Interesting, so you are saying the info on this page is incorrect?
Yes, it's incorrect.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

If anyone receives the kit from china please look at the package for what's declared on the CN22 form.
I would like to know if the seller puts it as the full price.
Where I live the Customs can ask more 100% of the item value for import fees :-(
jizi

Unread post by jizi »

Recommended by Limi , for monitors less than $60, the shipment arrived in the United States in only eight days

On AliExpress ~$60

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001689746001.html

Compatible with Mister

https://pingjia.alicdn.com/b241d54bd72b ... 264_sd.mp4

Thank my friend Limi !!! :D :D
bootsector

Unread post by bootsector »

sonik wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 pm If anyone receives the kit from china please look at the package for what's declared on the CN22 form.
Where I live the Customs can ask more 100% of the item value for import fees :-(
Brazilian detected! 8-)
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

sonik wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:37 pm If anyone receives the kit from china please look at the package for what's declared on the CN22 form.
It was the full price on my UK parcel. Ali Express though had already charged me VAT so I didnt get any customs charge
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

OOOOOKaaaay soooo...
I got my new hdmi cable and holy sh*t this is amazing! All the cores I tried so far run at vsync 2, integer scaling at native 1532p and it's all perfect! All the core I tried even support scandoubler without any issue. I get some dropping signal while I manipulate the various settings, but never ingame. I'm running in video 13 mode, and it just works.

What else can I say? I use system wide lcd and scanline filters and I get pixel perfect scaling, and when I don't, the fix is always one click away in the core menu. This is absolutely mindblowing, I can't believe how good and perfect it looks and feels. The sound pushed over 50% is atrocious though, so beware of that. With headphones it sounds great however.
I couldn't stop myself from opening the screen up, and everything in there seem very easy to replace, So I'll probably get better speaker soon, but this is the best 70euro I have spent this year for SURE. I tried to use my Mister to power the screen, but in "FPS" mode the screen was shutting down constantly. However on a 5v2a battery bank it was perfect. Dondopachi at 57hz works flawlessly btw! No ghosting or weird line when moving, it's all beautiful and pixel perfecty and the color are OOOOOOOOOH I'm in love... 😍😍😍😍 I'll share some screenshots soon... Thank you limi for bringing this to my attention! I feel like the A0486 is gonna be sweet on this... ^^
pompomps

Unread post by pompomps »

Just got my screen in the mail (ordered on Sep. 29, and received in west coast USA on oct 14th), and just like Neocaron stated, this thing is awesome. All I did to get it running was to set the language to English and then set change the aspect ratio to 4:3. Set the resolution to 1532p on the MiSTer and it was ready to go. Sound quality is fine for what it is. One thing I still couldn't get working is powering the screen via USB - Not a problem though.

Doom on this screen with the 486 core + mt32-pi is fantastic!
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

Hey guys!

Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13? I get a black screen every couple of seconds. Other cores seem to work fine. When I set te video mode to 1 (1024x768) it works without a problem. What could cause this? I have the mini HDMI version powered with a separate USB power supply.
Gaor

Unread post by Gaor »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Hey guys!

Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13? I get a black screen every couple of seconds. Other cores seem to work fine. When I set te video mode to 1 (1024x768) it works without a problem. What could cause this? I have the mini HDMI version powered with a separate USB power supply.
Just tried 10 min of R-Type and Raiden with vsync_adjust=2 and video_mode=13: not a single desync.

No BIOS file needed for this core to run properly, so maybe you're using DDR only?

ReadMe.md:
## SDRAM
This core may work without SDRAM (using on-board DDR3), but it may have different kinds of issues/glitches due to high latency of DDR3 memory. Thus SDRAM module is highly recommended for maximum accuracy.
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Hey guys!

I have the same problem, some cores are fine, i.e. Amiga at 50hz, but some won't sync, i.e Robotron arcade core.

I'm assuming that using a video mode other than 13 is going to add latency due to scaling on the board?
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

Gaor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 amso maybe you're using DDR only?
ROM Storage is set to ‘SDRAM’ and is greyed out in the OSD menu. Picture is stable with the menu open and no game is running. Once I load a game it starts cutting out. All other console cores like SNES and Mega Drive work fine.
snoot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:58 amI'm assuming that using a video mode other than 13 is going to add latency due to scaling on the board?
I’m not sure. I’m not detecting any added latency, but I’m old and slow anyway :lol:
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

I 'fixed' this problem by using a previous version of the core (20210725). Picture is stable now with video mode 13 :)

edit: Well... it still cuts out, but a LOT less often. Might this be a power supply issue?
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:36 am I 'fixed' this problem by using a previous version of the core (20210725). Picture is stable now with video mode 13 :)

edit: Well... it still cuts out, but a LOT less often. Might this be a power supply issue?
I think it's more to do with the refresh rate, I've tried different power supplies but didn't make any difference.

My self assembled board and iPad screen only supports 60hz, and Robotron runs at 60.1. I recompiled it to lock it to 60hz and it improved the stability. Still drops now and again though. Maybe slightly going over 60 causes the drop. However other cores that have odd refresh rates are fine.

Be interested in knowing if the latency is different for other resolutions. I did a basic test by plugging the screen into my pc, playing a frame count video on both screens, then recording a video on my phone. It was a frame quicker than my pc monitor at full res, and a frame slower at other resolutions.
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

snoot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pmI think it's more to do with the refresh rate, I've tried different power supplies but didn't make any difference.
If the refresh rate is the issue, why does it work with a lower resolution (video mode 1)? The refresh rate stays the same, right?
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 pm
snoot wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 pmI think it's more to do with the refresh rate, I've tried different power supplies but didn't make any difference.
If the refresh rate is the issue, why does it work with a lower resolution (video mode 1)? The refresh rate stays the same, right?
Fair point, I don't understand the inner workings, but I read that the pixel clock is adjusted for mode 1, making it more stable.

Hopefully the problem is not refresh rate related and there's some other fix. Maybe some boards are less reliable or different spec. I received mine this week, and was ordered on the 28th.
JBeau

Unread post by JBeau »

:idea: Might this have something to do with the high resolution and a low quality (or non 4K) HDMI cable?
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13?
Here’s what I’m using for TurboGrafx/PC Engine on this screen with Aspect Ratio → Full Screen — no issues at all:

[tgfx16]
video_mode=1800,48,32,80,1386,3,10,27,167698
This is from the previously mentioned atrac17 presets.
NuclearMonster

Unread post by NuclearMonster »

I just got this for OBS and possibly my iCade and it’s great! Hoping to get a MiSTer in the future

u1PNVUo.jpg
u1PNVUo.jpg (305.81 KiB) Viewed 93645 times
snoot

Unread post by snoot »

limi wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 am
JBeau wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 am Does the TurboGrafx core work for you with vsync set to 2 and video mode 13?
Here’s what I’m using for TurboGrafx/PC Engine on this screen with Aspect Ratio → Full Screen — no issues at all:

[tgfx16]
video_mode=1800,48,32,80,1386,3,10,27,167698
This is from the previously mentioned atrac17 presets.
Thanks Limi, that works perfectly for me!