Laser Bear 9.7" LCD Driver Board

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Vespa

Laser Bear 9.7" LCD Driver Board

Unread post by Vespa »

Sounds like Greg Collins has been working with a driver board company on a new firmware that will have some aspect ratio controls. Freesync is enabled and apparently, it can sync to 40-60hz, not 70-75hz unfortunately.

It seems you can flash existing driver boards with a $40 tool...it's probably cheaper to just wait for aliexpress to start selling updated driver boards with the better firmware than buying the tool do it yourself I assume since driver boards are around the $20-ish mark.
Vespa

Re: Laser Bear 9.7" LCD Driver Board

Unread post by Vespa »

Aspect ratio working!
player2

Unread post by player2 »

Curious, is there any information out there about the flashing tool? I have another project in mind where I'm wondering if custom flashing a board might solve an issue I'm looking at.
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

player2 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:03 pm Curious, is there any information out there about the flashing tool? I have another project in mind where I'm wondering if custom flashing a board might solve an issue I'm looking at.
Greg linked to the tool he got from amazon and one that he found on Aliexpress but both are currently out of stock:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GKGF54S/
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000966631186.html
player2

Unread post by player2 »

Ah, thanks. Looks like it might take a bit of digging to get the software and documentation that goes with it, but it's a start. :)
oskarzer0

Unread post by oskarzer0 »

My screen dont support 50hz :|

Im waiting for this new firmware to flash my screen :D
Eicar

Unread post by Eicar »

My screen/driver board also does not seem to support 50hz. Are there any updates regarding a new firmware that will support this? What about 72hz for perfect ao486 vga frequency? Is it possible at all? Other than that I really love this tiny screen with Jotego's shadow mask filters! I hope those filters will find their way into the Mister framework at some point. Can't wait to try them out on other cores as well.
sofakng

Unread post by sofakng »

I'm also wondering about the new firmware ... I received my programmer a little while ago and am looking forward to giving this a test.
Vespa

Unread post by Vespa »

laserbeardriver06kzq.png
laserbeardriver06kzq.png (98.31 KiB) Viewed 6472 times

Some interesting things about the firmware and the variations of driver boards. Currently need the RTD2556T chip for all the features. Hopefully, Realtek can help with the other versions.
Queen Fiona

Unread post by Queen Fiona »

Is this firmware out in the wild at all? I assume it's available to customers currently, at least.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Anyone has updated the display already? From Greg and/or from another seller?
I got the board from aliexpress. My driver does not support vga correctly. But seller says that it can be fixed with firmware update. I'm tempted to try.