1440p monitor: flat or curved?

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
pedroTFP

1440p monitor: flat or curved?

Unread post by pedroTFP »

I've hooked my MiSTer to both a PVM and a 1080p monitor; I'd swap the latter for a 1440p one.
When it comes to play 240p@5x with scanlines, is a curved monitor a plus, a con or a non-factor? What about TATE configuration? For a MiSTer usage, what's better between Freesync and G-sync?
N.Master

Re: 1440p monitor: flat or curved?

Unread post by N.Master »

Hi,
IMHO curved panels are only goods for modern 3D gaming. More over, on CRT image was a bit convex but not concave, so it will look different from "authentic" rendering
But, it's all personal preferences after all.
Freesync and G-sync are software related features and available only with computers with compatible graphic card. It's not a guarantee for low lag with MiSTer.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

On most cores a curve is not going to be super noticable because you are using a 4:3 aspect ratio, leaving the sides of the monitor black. Moreso if you aren't at least doing a 6x scale for 1440p.

Freesync/g-sync just shows that the display is capable of a refresh range, it does not mean Mister can access it, since mister does not use any sync protocols. I have seen displays handle this both ways, some display the given Mister refresh perfectly, others buffer to 60hz. Most monitors have slight sync tolerances around 60hz so your nintendo and even neo-geo may look fine, but it's a crapshoot with 50hz PAL, 70hz DOS, or other weirder arcade frequencies, and unfortunately hard to research before buying.
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

Thx.
So, I'd prefer flat but I guess curved is not too much of a bad. I'd get a monitor for an all-round gaming use, from upscaled 240p@6x (I said 5x but it was a typo) to modern HDR consoles. Is any refresh rate like 144Hz or 170Hz something useful for +60hz games, like DOS ones?

Anyway, about research: according to the manual, the Lenovo Q27q-1L should be 15Khz compatible and 75Hz capable, as its 1080p equivalent, the Lenovo Q24i-10
drgruney

Unread post by drgruney »

I play on a curved monitor, just because that's the gaming monitor on my desk. I wouldn't tell someone to go purposely buy a curved screen, but I certainly wouldn't tell someone to not use one if that's what they have either.

Mine is an AOC Curved FreeSync screen and it's great. Seems to just handle whatever res and rate I throw at it from mister.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

I have a 32 inch curved monitor and after a short while your brain will adapt to it the same way your brain adapted the curved surface of a CRT.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

So this is just my prefence, but I say unless you got a large display with a number of on-lookers/people watching go for Flat Panel.
I admit Curved screens got good viewing angles.

As for GSync/Free Sync? The Adaptive-Sync technology will help with the variable frame rates you get with various cores, you can more of the native refresh rates in systems that used non-standard refresh times. But you never take full advantage of all the Gsync/Free sync features. With Changes Nvida made to make their cards accept Free Sync displays now, I would get too hang up on which one to get. Make sure regardless of it's GSync/Free Sync that it can support more than just a 60hz display. Look for a monitor with a wider hz display range (like a 120 or 144 hz display), read up on the display total range like 50 to 144hz for example.

TATE configuration?
I think that more depend on your stand/mount for your display.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.